It doesn’t take long to rebuild in the NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slag View Post

You've decided Sanders ain't the guy because he's making rookie decisions about when to hit the hole or when to run a KO out?

He may not be the guy but unless there's a player like Elliot or Barkley available, I'd like to draft another position and see what Sanders does in his second year myself.

I remember Shady showing flashes his first year and then studding it up in his second year, at which time he told a reporter that the game had slowed down and he wasn't thinking about what to do anymore, he was just doing it.

Who knows if this guy is Shady, but Shady didn't look like Shady his first year either.
    I didn't like him before the draft or after, he just hasn't shown anything to move me off of my initial impressions. He doesn't have anything close to McCoy's agility or burst, his vision was average, and he goes down way too easily. His decision making should improve, but I worry that a couple of off-seasons of strength training will diminish what little burst he has.

I'm not suggesting picking Swift with our first pick (currently #13). That has to be defense, with an outside shot at WR. But if this season goes the way I think it will, there will be an opportunity to get back into the first. That's something I'd consider. Sanders has value as a 3rd down back who can line up wide in a spread offense, he's not useless or even a wasted 2nd round pick at this point. I just don't see him being the kind of feature back they need to keep the heat off of Wentz. I want someone who does for Carson what Elliott does for Prescott, and keeps the defense off the field.

Comment

Sanders will be fine. Same with Dillard. It's there with both those guys, but one needs to learn more (Sanders) and one need to eat more (dillard).

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

I didn't like him before the draft or after, he just hasn't shown anything to move me off of my initial impressions. He doesn't have anything close to McCoy's agility or burst, his vision was average, and he goes down way too easily. His decision making should improve, but I worry that a couple of off-seasons of strength training will diminish what little burst he has.

I'm not suggesting picking Swift with our first pick (currently #13). That has to be defense, with an outside shot at WR. But if this season goes the way I think it will, there will be an opportunity to get back into the first. That's something I'd consider. Sanders has value as a 3rd down back who can line up wide in a spread offense, he's not useless or even a wasted 2nd round pick at this point. I just don't see him being the kind of feature back they need to keep the heat off of Wentz. I want someone who does for Carson what Elliott does for Prescott, and keeps the defense off the field.
        IDK ... I've seen some nice things from him ... and I swear this is true: Back when TC was at Lehigh I went every year with my son and nephew and, in McCoy's second year when I got to the practice field for the first time and saw him, I turned to my nephew and said something like "Damn, McCoy looks bigger, especially in his legs." So you never know ... Sanders may break tackles yet.

EDITED TO ADD: I like Howard a lot also, but he's not the take-it-to-the-house back that you want.
        Last edited by slag; 10-21-2019, 03:12 PM.
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I've seen some nice things too. He's picking up his blocking assignments surprisingly quickly, and he's a legitimate weapon in the passing game. He's not a BCJ. I hope I'm wrong about his ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by phillyphilly View Post

And who is the core we are building around, Wentz, Dillard, Sanders, JJ and Goedert on offense. Who is the core on defense, Barnett and ????????

I think the most successful teams don't build around a "core". They build around the QB. We have Wentz. Besides him, we have precious few parts worth trading. The point is, they need to start getting rid of older players and amass some draft picks.

I'd be okay with trading Ertz, too. Probably get a bunch of picks for him--maybe even a first rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post

Amen to that. Thanks to Nick and 2017, I have a totally different perspective on these types of games. It's never enjoyable to watch them play like that, but it is also way less distressing.
              Yup, we finally experienced the highest of highs so although I get pissed off and frustrated at times I also have that awesome memory to draw from. The frustration is nowhere near as bad as it used to be be...for me anyway. Last night would've been absolutely unbearable otherwise as the Cowboys haven't done much of anything for 23 years.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesphaninMD View Post

I think the most successful teams don't build around a "core". They build around the QB. We have Wentz. Besides him, we have precious few parts worth trading. The point is, they need to start getting rid of older players and amass some draft picks.

I'd be okay with trading Ertz, too. Probably get a bunch of picks for him--maybe even a first rounder.
                Not that we want to help them, but reports this morning that the Pats approached the Bucs about OJ Howard.

Comment

Who can we trade this year for picks?
                  Lane Johsnon. Maybe get a 3rd and a 2nd for him.

Comment

Who can we trade this year for picks?
                    I'd start with:
                    Darby
                    Agholor
                    Jenkins
                    Jeffrey
                    and...Controversial, but: Lane Johsnon. Maybe get a 3rd and a 2nd for him.
                    What would the Eagles get for Agholor and Jeffrey?

First thing they gotta do is draft better. Whoever is doing the scouting needs to be replaced. Get rid of underperforming high priced players.

Is Dillard the answer to replace Peters? He should get better with experience but will he be good enough.

I really do not like the Pats and Bellichick but I have to admire the way they stay on top every year. Some may be due to cheating and some due to a weak division but they don't
                    rebuild. Eagles need to reload.

I hope I am overreacting to one very very bad game.

Comment

Working...
                    X