Speaking of movies...Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of movies...Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Watched it on a plane this week. Aside from the ok acting, it was pretty stoopid. Tarantino jumped the shark YEARS ago.
    WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

That review just made up my mind about renting it.
    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
      That review just made up my mind about renting it.
      The ending goes a little over the top, but I thought it was pretty great.

Comment

I loved it.

Most of the people I know who didn't like it, didn't like it because of the ending, but not because it was over the top, rather because of the obvious other reason that I won't post because its a spoiler.

However, I was laughing my ass off at it ... my theory is that it was intentionally over the top because Tarentino was doing a parody of Tarentino ... it cracked me the fuck up.
        Last edited by slag; 12-08-2019, 07:28 PM.
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Oh, I was laughing too. Especially when he got to the coup de grace in that sequence. It was cartoonish, but it was 100% intended to be that way. And the more I think about it, the more I understand why it had to be that way.

It didn't take anything away from the rest of the movie for me at all, which was just one great, long, meandering ride. Probably my favorite movie of 2019 so far, and my favorite QT movie since Jackie Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
            Most of the people I know who didn't like it, didn't like it because of the ending, but not because it was over the top, rather because of the obvious other reason that I won't post because its a spoiler.
            Anyone who saw Inglorious Basterds, and thought it through a little bit, should have seen the ending coming a mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
              I loved it.

However, I was laughing my ass off at it ... my theory is that it was intentionally over the top because Tarentino was doing a parody of Tarentino ... it cracked me the fuck up.
              I was in “meh” mode until the ending, which propelled me into WTF / stooopid mode. I see your point about the parody aspect, but I still don’t get it.
              WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by Corkey_for_President View Post

I was in “meh” mode until the ending, which propelled me into WTF / stooopid mode. I see your point about the parody aspect, but I still don’t get it.
                IMO watching movies on airplanes is slightly above watching them on your phone
                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                X