Parasite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasite

The only good movie nominated this year.

It’s got my vote. I really enjoyed it.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
      The only good movie nominated this year.
      1917 wasn't a good movie?
      Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

It was better when it was Saving Private Ryan. Nothing special.

Comment

1917 is a nice visual war movie with numerous head-scratching moments and IMO isn't a pimple on the ass of Saving Private Ryan.

And it appears, from listening to those who I trust and who've see Parasite (I haven't), that the Academy got it as right in giving the Best Picture Award to Parasite over a solid war movie as they fucked it up when they gave it to Shakespeare in Love over the war movie that IMO raised the bar on all war movies.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
            1917 is a nice visual war movie with numerous head-scratching moments and IMO isn't a pimple on the ass of Saving Private Ryan.

And it appears, from listening to those who I trust and who've see Parasite (I haven't), that the Academy got it as right in giving the Best Picture Award to Parasite over a solid war movie as they fucked it up when they gave it to Shakespeare in Love over the war movie that IMO raised the bar on all war movies.
            You just don't like it because Tom Sizemore isn't in it.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

The war movie vote got split between Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line (which I love). Shakespeare in Love was a travesty. And one of the reasons I stopped watching the Oscars.

Side note... my buddy worked for Harvey when he acquired that script. Pete read it, picked up the phone, called Weinstein and said “it’s a forgettable piece of shit script”. Harvey fired him the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post

You just don't like it because Tom Sizemore isn't in it.
                A perfectly valid reason.

Comment

The best war movie of all time is To Hell And Back. Audie Murphy, a modest man who came from dirt, felt that moviegoers would not believe that his feats of courage, bravery, and complete disregard for his own safety portrayed in the movie were true. Some contemporary reviewers didn’t believe it. But Americans loved the movie. I’d recommend anyone who hasn’t seen it do so.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post

The best war movie of all time is To Hell And Back. Audie Murphy, a modest man who came from dirt, felt that moviegoers would not believe that his feats of courage, bravery, and complete disregard for his own safety portrayed in the movie were true. Some contemporary reviewers didn’t believe it. But Americans loved the movie. I’d recommend anyone who hasn’t seen it do so.
                    Paths of Glory. Hands down best war movie of all time. If anyone mentions "The Longest Day" I'll lose my shit, I swear. Although "Battle of the Bulge" was awesome.
                    DB

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

The war movie vote got split between Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line (which I love). Shakespeare in Love was a travesty. And one of the reasons I stopped watching the Oscars.

Side note... my buddy worked for Harvey when he acquired that script. Pete read it, picked up the phone, called Weinstein and said “it’s a forgettable piece of shit script”. Harvey fired him the next day.
                      Thin Red Line is very good with my favorite performance from Nick Nolte being in that movie, even if it is only a cameo. I still say Pvt. Ryan edges it out for the visuals.

I'm not going to respond to all the other war movie stuff individually ... To Hell and Back may have a legit war hero playing himself, but the movie is tame visually (obviously due to the time it was made) compared to Pvt. Ryan ... and Paths of Glory is a different kind of movie ... great movie, but it's more a legal case than a war movie.

BTW ... cool story about Weinstein ... I have one about Pvt. Ryan ... I was playing golf once as a single and I ended up with 3 old guys who had fought on D-Day as the rest of the foursome ... Pvt Ryan had just come out and I asked them what they thought. One guy (101st Airborne) said he thought the movie was terrific and the best visual he'd ever seen on film of WWII ... but he said there was one thing that bothered him about it. I asked him: "What?" He said "We had radios"
                      Last edited by slag; 02-11-2020, 07:07 PM.
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Thin Red Line is very good with my favorite performance from Nick Nolte being in that movie, even if it is only a cameo. I still say Pvt. Ryan edges it out for the visuals.

I'm not going to respond to all the other war movie stuff individually ... To Hell and Back may have a legit war hero playing himself, but the movie is tame visually (obviously due to the time it was made) compared to Pvt. Ryan ... and Paths of Glory is a different kind of movie ... great movie, but it's more a legal case than a war movie.

BTW ... cool story about Weinstein ... I have one about Pvt. Ryan ... I was playing golf once as a single and I ended up with 3 old guys who had fought on D-Day as the rest of the foursome ... Pvt Ryan had just come out and I asked them what they thought. One guy (101st Airborne) said he thought the movie was terrific and the best visual he'd ever seen on film of WWII ... but he said there was one thing that bothered him about it. I asked him: "What?" He said "We had radios"
                        Just like they had airplanes in 1917. It makes no sense why they wouldn’t have just delivered the message about the ambush by plane. Hard to take the movie seriously with that huge plot hole.

Comment

LOL.

Private Ryan's a great film. My only issue with it was the fact that the rest of the move doesn't -- and couldn't possibly -- live up to the opening 20 minutes... which is obviously the greatest battle scene in movie history. But it's an issue that I notice less and less over time. The movie ages really well, the way a great movie should.

Comment

Haven't seen any of them but will see 1917 as a WWI buff.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post

The best war movie of all time is To Hell And Back. Audie Murphy,
                              Impossible to choose but I'll go Where Eagles Dare. Totally unrealistic but that movie kicks ass.

For "realism", I'll take Bridges at Toko-Ri.
                              Last edited by Maniac; 02-13-2020, 07:37 PM. Reason: Fucking autospell. Toko-Ri.

Comment

Working...
                              X