X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCarthy12
    replied
    Originally posted by The Duck View Post

When Das Boot was recommended to me 30 years ago by my cousin, it came with a disclaimer that went something like "If you watch the fucking dubbed version, you're dead to me." He meant it, so I didn't do it.

I like both halves of FMJ, but it does abruptly shift from a four-star movie to a three-star movie as soon as they get to Vietnam. And the two halves really don't mesh for me. It's still Kubrick, I still love watching him do his thing, but FMJ is probably his most overrated film, IMO.
    Stalingrad is another good German language war movie.

Leave a comment:

• McCarthy12
    replied
    Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post

Paths of Glory. Hands down best war movie of all time. If anyone mentions "The Longest Day" I'll lose my shit, I swear. Although "Battle of the Bulge" was awesome.
    Watching the end of Glory (Matthew Broderick, Morgan Freeman, etc) right now. Pretty damn good war movie.

Leave a comment:

• DEERSPINE GUY
    replied
    AND I KNOW BAND OF BROTHERS AND THE PACIFIC WEREN'T 'MOVIES', BUT THEY ARE UP THERE FOR ME.

Leave a comment:

• DEERSPINE GUY
    replied

For Men in Boats movies, I've got Ice Station Zebra and Crimson Tide.
    RUN SILENT RUN DEEP
    THE ENEMY BELOW
    IN HARMS WAY

Leave a comment:

• AthensEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by slag View Post

And Top Gun isn't within my definition of a war movie.
    I bet the sequel will be even more realistic than the original.

Leave a comment:

• The Duck
    replied

Das Boot is great IMO as long as you watch it in German with subtitles.

Full Metal Jacket was great until they left Parris Island ... you all want to watch a real sleeper of a Vietnam movie ... check out 84 Charlie Mopic.

When Das Boot was recommended to me 30 years ago by my cousin, it came with a disclaimer that went something like "If you watch the fucking dubbed version, you're dead to me." He meant it, so I didn't do it.

I like both halves of FMJ, but it does abruptly shift from a four-star movie to a three-star movie as soon as they get to Vietnam. And the two halves really don't mesh for me. It's still Kubrick, I still love watching him do his thing, but FMJ is probably his most overrated film, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• slag
    replied

Das Boot is pretty great.
    Das Boot is great IMO as long as you watch it in German with subtitles.

Full Metal Jacket was great until they left Parris Island ... you all want to watch a real sleeper of a Vietnam movie ... check out 84 Charlie Mopic.

Leave a comment:

• Dim Bulb
    replied

Tru Dat Das.

For Men in Airplanes movies I go with Twelve O Clock High. Honorable mention Top Gun.

Leave a comment:

• The Duck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dim Bulb
    replied
    Originally posted by Maniac View Post

Impossible to choose but I'll go Where Eagles Dare. Totally unrealistic but that movie kicks ass.

For "realism", I'll take Bridges at Tokyo Ri.

Leave a comment:

• DEERSPINE GUY
    replied
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS A THREAD ABOUT SMEGMA UNTIL I OPENED IT.

HUH GO FIGURE.

Leave a comment:

• DEERSPINE GUY
    replied
    BATTLE GROUND, APOCOLYPSE NOW, PLATOON AND FULL METAL JACKET.

Leave a comment:

• Maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by RSE View Post

The best war movie of all time is To Hell And Back. Audie Murphy,
    Impossible to choose but I'll go Where Eagles Dare. Totally unrealistic but that movie kicks ass.

For "realism", I'll take Bridges at Toko-Ri.
    Last edited by Maniac; 02-13-2020, 07:37 PM. Reason: Fucking autospell. Toko-Ri.

Leave a comment:

• Maniac
    replied
    Haven't seen any of them but will see 1917 as a WWI buff.

Leave a comment:

• The Duck
    replied

BTW ... cool story about Weinstein ... I have one about Pvt. Ryan ... I was playing golf once as a single and I ended up with 3 old guys who had fought on D-Day as the rest of the foursome ... Pvt Ryan had just come out and I asked them what they thought. One guy (101st Airborne) said he thought the movie was terrific and the best visual he'd ever seen on film of WWII ... but he said there was one thing that bothered him about it. I asked him: "What?" He said "We had radios"
    LOL.

Private Ryan's a great film. My only issue with it was the fact that the rest of the move doesn't -- and couldn't possibly -- live up to the opening 20 minutes... which is obviously the greatest battle scene in movie history. But it's an issue that I notice less and less over time. The movie ages really well, the way a great movie should.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X