Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly

I don't hate it.

I flat out LAUGHED in shock and awe at the pick and how giddy Doug and Howie looked

But shit its their team their vision

not what I wanted. But I'm not as invested as they're.

The pick was funny, but so are reactions around here

Well then you don't know much about football. This pick cannot be justified. If Roseman really wanted Hurts he could have picked him a lot later.
    Moderator at philaphans.com

Comment

Says who?

Comment

Originally posted by joydivision View Post
        Says who?
        Says nobody. Hurts was an obvious 2nd round pick. Just not obvious for this team (except to Baldy, who called the pick a month ago).

Hurts was actually one of my favorite players in the draft. I liked him so much that every time I watched him, it bummed me out that we didn't need a QB.

So no, I don't hate it either. Even though there were eight guys that I was thrilled to have on the board at 53, and Hurts wasn't one of them. It definitely caught me off guard, but I don't hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

Says nobody. Hurts was an obvious 2nd round pick. Just not obvious for this team (except to Baldy, who called the pick a month ago).

Hurts was actually one of my favorite players in the draft. I liked him so much that every time I watched him, it bummed me out that we didn't need a QB.

So no, I don't hate it either. Even though there were eight guys that I was thrilled to have on the board at 53, and Hurts wasn't one of them. It definitely caught me off guard, but I don't hate it.
          That’s the Black Label talking.

Comment

Comment

They don't need a QB but you don't hate it? So then you don't hate potential shit storms in the locker room, the media and the stands?

EDITED TO ADD: Or let me put it this way ''you don't hate a shit storm that replaces one of those eight guys?
              Last edited by slag; 04-24-2020, 11:31 PM.
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post

They don't need a QB but you don't hate it? So then you don't hate potential shit storms in the locker room, the media and the stands?

EDITED TO ADD: Or let me put it this way ''you don't hate shit storms that replace one of those eight guys?
                LOL CLASSIC YO THIS MAKES YOU RIOT. WHAT A RIOT

Comment

I'll rephase: I didn't think there was a chance in hell they'd invest premium draft capital in a QB after locking up Wentz. I wouldn't have touched the position in the first two days.

As far as "need"... If playoff wins are any measure, backup QB has been a pretty important position for this team in recent years. It's not unreasonable to take into account Wentz's history, and what happened with Andrew Luck when planning for the team's future.

Again, I wouldn't have done it. I would have taken Jeremy Chinn, Willie Gay, Ezra Cleveland, or Mims there. But I'm a huge Jalen Hurts fan, I feel a hell of a lot better about our chances if Wentz goes down now, and I think it's going to be fun to see how they use them together. I don't think it's the cataclysm it's being made out to be... but the reaction is everything I expected it would be.

Comment

wow.

Comment

As far as "need"... If playoff wins are any measure, backup QB has been a pretty important position for this team in recent years. It's not unreasonable to take into account Wentz's history, and what happened with Andrew Luck when planning for the team's future.
                      I did wonder if they knew something about Wentz retiring early if he were to suffer another serious injury.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post

I did wonder if they knew something about Wentz retiring early if he were to suffer another serious injury.
                        Even if nothing's been said explicitly, it's something you have to consider, especially with concussions. I think you're right in the other thread, they don't do this if the Clowney hit doesn't happen.

I also think they plan to get Hurts on the field with Wentz more than anyone realizes. Beyond anything we've seen with Taysom Hill. The upshot is, they use him as a weapon while molding him into an NFL quarterback... if all goes according to plan, and Carson stays healthy, in three years, you have a 24 year old blue chip QB prospect you can deal for multiple high picks. If Carson can't stay healthy, you have your QB of the future (and maybe Wentz is traded for a lesser haul).

Just to be clear, I wouldn't have done this, as much as I love Hurts the player. I just don't think it's as black & white "they've lost faith in Wentz" as someone like Ruben Frank does. It's an investment, it's insurance, and somewhere in there, there's a player they think can contribute on offense. If it works, Howie's going to look like a mad genius. If it doesn't, he's going to be fired.
                        Last edited by The Duck; 04-25-2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I'll rephase: I didn't think there was a chance in hell they'd invest premium draft capital in a QB after locking up Wentz. I wouldn't have touched the position in the first two days.

Again, I wouldn't have done it. I would have taken Jeremy Chinn, Willie Gay, Ezra Cleveland, or Mims there. But I'm a huge Jalen Hurts fan, I feel a hell of a lot better about our chances if Wentz goes down now, and I think it's going to be fun to see how they use them together. I don't think it's the cataclysm it's being made out to be... but the reaction is everything I expected it would be.
                          Read this and tell me its not a clusterfuck

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...tz-jalen-hurts
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Read this and tell me its not a clusterfuck

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...tz-jalen-hurts
                            The Philly media resorting to hyperventilating emotionalism over a draft pick doesn't make it an affront to Carson. It could end up being a clusterfuck, in which case we're going to have some new football people in town. It could also actually work.

Everybody's dismissive of the "gadget" concept, like the guy's going to be on the field for 4 or 5 trick plays a year. Taysom Hill -- who's about a third of the athlete that Hurts is, and a tenth of runner -- produced 400 yards from scrimmage and 7 TDs last season. Pretty decent numbers for a gimmick. Helped the Saints win a bunch of games. When I talk about this possibly working, that's what I'm talking about. Hurts having actual production, scoring points, and helping them win games, while serving as insurance against injury or worse (a Luck scenario), and also being a longer term investment capable of a big payout in 2 or 3 seasons. I understand it might not work that way... but why is being completely closed off to the possibility that there's some upside here the default -- and the only acceptable --- position?

Again, I wouldn't have done this, it's not a risk I would have taken with so many potential contributors on the board. It has a slight stink of "smarter than you", which you know I loathe. But it's not the usual drafting of some obscure DIII guy from the back of a scout's notebook three rounds too early STY bullshit... it's not Jeremy fucking Bloom. Jalen Hurts is a legit ball player, and a winner, with an actual skill set that I can see translating into real production. I can see this working, because I can see the player pulling it off. He's that good. Therefore, since I can't change anything anyway, I'm going to accept it, give it a chance, and root for the guy I've liked all along anyway. I have enough in real life to be irritated about right now, I'm inclined to look for silver linings in the things that are supposed to bring me enjoyment. So that's what I'm going to do.

Comment

Taysom Hill was undrafted.
                              Tim Tebow was a winner.
                              This draft deserves to get ripped.

Comment

Working...
                              X