X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slag
    replied
    I should probably modify what I said about a QB competition with this:

I was furious when they drafted Hurts, not only because there was a huge need on defense but also because of the mixed message they sent. (EDITED TO ADD: and I was already fucking pissed about passing on Jefferson)

They get rid of Foles to give Wentz the team and then they create a possible QB controversy instead?

I get the injury concern, but why not get him a real WR and stay with Sudfeld or sign a vet backup not named Foles?

I wanted them to put a team around Wentz and see if he is the man ... and I still do ... but I can't really say its unfair to have him in a QB competition because if he can't beat out Hurts he's not the man.
    Last edited by slag; 12-01-2020, 10:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snakebitten
    replied
    Even though Deshaun Watson lost Hopkins this year, he still has Fuller, Cooks, and Cobb. Fuller was a monster this year (he's on a contract year) and would have made the Pro Bowl if he didn't just get pinched for PEDs (which explains why he finally stayed healthy this season), We know what Wentz has.

I'm pretty sure I joined to this site to defend McNabb. It's hard to compare these eras because wins and losses had a big X-factor: Jim Johnson. He has yet to be replaced. McNabb was good but it's hard to overlook Jim Johnson's contribution. McNabb deserved better on the offensive side. It's tragic we only got TO for just over a year. I don't want to see that again with Wentz. He also doesn't have a Jim Johnson to take off some of the pressure. He needs a little help which is understandable.

I've mentioned this before but it's worth repeating. Look at how Wentz performed over the last two seasons without Jeffery. To be clear, this year's Jeffery is a shell of himself. He's done. Last year, Wentz had three really subpar games, Jeffery was not playing in any of those games. I don't think that's a coincidence. Wentz needs a #1 WR. That's why our cunt GM needs to go. It's one thing to miss on Metcalf but now passing on Jefferson is inexcusable. He drafted an obviously flawed receiver who hasn't shown anything (just like JJAW). To make things worse, he drafted a subpar QB in the second round?? As a result, Wentz is now getting scrutinized because he's not producing in an awful environment created by the Quarterback Factory.

As I mentioned before, they didn't need to trade for Hopkins. It's stupid to overpay a wideout that much money. They just needed to not get cute in the draft. Howie got cute. As a result, he needs to go. They need to get a GM that knows how to evaluate talent and one that's smart enough to realize the coach needs a real offensive coordinator.
    Last edited by Snakebitten; 12-01-2020, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• slag
    replied
    Originally posted by RSE View Post

I happen to think he is redeemable. Howie is the biggest problem. If I ruled the world he’d be the first to go. And 2-3 weeks ago I called for Doug’s head, though I do think Wentz contributes to his coaching issues as much as he contributes to Wentz’s quarterbacking issues.

if Wentz doesn’t improve this season then next summer he should made to earn his job. Hurts gets a shot. Is that fair?
    I clearly misunderstood you.

My bad.

The player is always culpable to some degree but I don't know really how much here because I am so underwhelmed with the coaching staff.

And I certainly can't argue with a QB competition, although my preference going into this year would have been to see what Wentz could do with a really good team and scheme.
    Last edited by slag; 12-01-2020, 09:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DEERSPINE GUY
    replied
    Even with this underwhelming squad, if this was any of

Nick Foles
    Sam Bradford
    Matt Barkley
    Michael Vick
    Jeff Garcia
    Donovan McNabb

the long knives would be out on this board. How does Wentz get a pass?
    THE QB ALWAYS GETS THE BLAME AND THE GLORY.

I THINK HE WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE S.B. MVP SHADOW UNTIL HE AT LEAST GETS TO THE S.B.

NOT SURE IF IT'S A PASS OR SOME OF US JUST WANT/HOPE/THINK THAT WENTZ 2017 IS IN THERE SOMEWHERE, BUT DANNIT GET HIM SOME TALENT AROUND HIM INSTEAD OF THE SHIT THEY HAVE. THIS OFFENSE IS HORRIBLE ALL AROUND.....THANKS HOWIE.

Leave a comment:

• RSE
    replied
    Originally posted by slag View Post

The hill I want to die on?

Ooh ... I'm so worried about that.

McNabb could have played for Clemson and I would have had the same patience ... and that would have been based on his performance.

And I couldn't care less about what the rest of Philly thinks ... or more precisely, what you think the rest of Philly thinks ... as I have listened to some WIP over the past few days and and there are surprisingly more callers than you think there are who find Wentz not to be unredeemable and certainly not the biggest problem
    I happen to think he is redeemable. Howie is the biggest problem. If I ruled the world he’d be the first to go. And 2-3 weeks ago I called for Doug’s head, though I do think Wentz contributes to his coaching issues as much as he contributes to Wentz’s quarterbacking issues.

if Wentz doesn’t improve this season then next summer he should made to earn his job. Hurts gets a shot. Is that fair?

Leave a comment:

• slag
    replied
    McNabb was your boy, slag. If I was an Orangeman I’d defend him to the end as well. What is with Wentz? Is he the hill you want to die on? 31 other cities and everyone in Philly but a half dozen posters on this board think he’s shit.
    The hill I want to die on?

Ooh ... I'm so worried about that.

McNabb could have played for Clemson and I would have had the same patience ... and that would have been based on his performance.

And I couldn't care less about what the rest of Philly thinks ... or more precisely, what you think the rest of Philly thinks ... as I have listened to some WIP over the past few days and and there are surprisingly more callers than you think there are who find Wentz not to be unredeemable and certainly not the biggest problem

EDITED TO ADD:

Did Wentz shoot your dog or something? I really don't get this ... why does a guy who no one really had a big problem with aside from his injury problems NOT get a pass for one shit year under these circumstances?

Are you all that good at talent evaluation?

I'm not.
    Last edited by slag; 12-01-2020, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RSE
    replied
    McNabb was your boy, slag. If I was an Orangeman I’d defend him to the end as well. What is with Wentz? Is he the hill you want to die on? 31 other cities and everyone in Philly but a half dozen posters on this board think he’s shit.

Leave a comment:

• RSE
    replied
    Originally posted by slag View Post

Yeah ... well, that depends on what kind of fan you are doesn't it?

I know for a fact that I would not have taken a massive shit on McNabb, similar to in the way Wentz is being treated by you and many others here, if McNabb had as bad a year under the same circumstances in year 5 of his career.

I KNOW IT FOR A FACT.

As has been pointed out by Snakebitten already ... Wentz's prior three years are:

13 games ... 33 TDs ... 7 INTS ... 101.9 rating
    11 games ... 21 TDs ... 7 INTS ... 102 rating
    11 games ... 27 TDs ... 7 INTS .... 93 rating

I'm too lazy to look at what McNabb did the three years prior to his 5th, but I bet they were pretty fucking good.

Thus, I'm sure that I'd have the same patience that I'm giving Wentz if McNabb had the same shitbag situation Wentz is playing under this year.

I mean, seriously, WTF?
    McNabb’s fifth season was 2003. He was shit the entire first half of the season, his fifth season, and frankly was pretty much shit the whole season. The season, McNabb’s fifth season, was threatening to get away from the Eagles until Westbrook returned a punt in the Meadowlands. I remember McNabb, that fifth season caught all sorts of hell here and in the media. He’s was depressed and hopeless until Westbrook returned that kick. Read these fifth year game logs and tell us McNabb wasn’t shit in 2003.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../gamelog/2003/

Leave a comment:

• Maniac
    replied
    Massive shits were taken on McNabb from the day he was drafted.

Leave a comment:

• RSE
    replied
    Wentz has not had one good game passing this season, out of eleven games. His best single game passer rating was 91, and he’s had three - 3! - games with a passer rating of 75.

And for old coots like me who remember when 91 was a good passer rating, a 91 rating in the NFL in 2020 would rank you 24th if that was your season rating. That list of bums I posted earlier today? Add Joe Burrow and that’s all the QBs in the NFL who have passer ratings lower than 91.

DeShaun Watson ranks second in passer rating and the Texans suck.

Leave a comment:

• slag
    replied

Nick Foles
    Sam Bradford
    Matt Barkley
    Michael Vick
    Jeff Garcia
    Donovan McNabb

Yeah ... well, that depends on what kind of fan you are doesn't it?

I know for a fact that I would not have taken a massive shit on McNabb, similar to in the way Wentz is being treated by you and many others here, if McNabb had as bad a year under the same circumstances in year 5 of his career.

I KNOW IT FOR A FACT.

As has been pointed out by Snakebitten already ... Wentz's prior three years are:

13 games ... 33 TDs ... 7 INTS ... 101.9 rating
    11 games ... 21 TDs ... 7 INTS ... 102 rating
    11 games ... 27 TDs ... 7 INTS .... 93 rating

I'm too lazy to look at what McNabb did the three years prior to his 5th, but I bet they were pretty fucking good.

Thus, I'm sure that I'd have the same patience that I'm giving Wentz if McNabb had the same shitbag situation Wentz is playing under this year.

I mean, seriously, WTF?
    Last edited by slag; 12-01-2020, 08:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• art vandelay
    replied

Nick Foles
    Sam Bradford
    Matt Barkley
    Michael Vick
    Jeff Garcia
    Donovan McNabb

I think there are two sides to this. One is that he's not getting a pass.

The other side is just my opinion, but it seems like in the era of social media, being a homer is defending your team's QB to no end. I recently saw someone say that twitter exists so that people can bitch about [insert talking head here] disrespecting their team's QB. When it comes to the Eagles, this really manifested itself in the Wentz vs Dak debate, with every bad thing Wentz did being because of his supporting cast (or coaches), and every good thing Dak did being because of his supporting cast.

Outside of the Eagles, living in Charlotte during the Cam Newton area was really interesting. Cam Newton stans were basically Cam Newton fans first, Panther fans second.

Leave a comment:

• RSE
    replied

Nick Foles
    Sam Bradford
    Matt Barkley
    Michael Vick
    Jeff Garcia
    Donovan McNabb

Leave a comment:

• Maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
    I hate the way Wentz has been playing. Hate it.
    It's like a 50 million dollar cap hit even if they trade him.

Leave a comment:

• IronEagle
    replied
    I hate the way Wentz has been playing. Hate it. But maybe, Maybe he can be serviceable for a year with some different coaching IF he is held to account.

i think for the most part the team is giving effort for Doug. Howie MUST go in talent evaluation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X