Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners offer 18 game schedule to NFLPA

This has always been a fait accompli, but the twist is interesting:

The NFL’s ownership group still has the desire to expand the regular-season schedule to 18 games.

However, the group’s latest pitch to the NFLPA includes a creative twist. During early discussions regarding the 2021 collective bargaining agreement, the owners have offered to increase roster sizes and limit workloads in favor of growing the regular-season slate, according to the Wall Street Journal’s Andrew Beaton.

According to Beaton, the owners have pitched a 16-game limit for players, keeping the superstars at their regular workload rate. That solution would be used to protect the health of the players.

Still, with a two-game absence from every player in the league, the roster sizes would have to increase dramatically. The owners are willing to increase the 53-man limit to help with the adjustments, Beaton reports.

If this proposal were to pass, franchise quarterbacks would be forced to miss two regular-season games. Those circumstances would heighten the importance of the backup quarterback position, as the No. 2 signal-caller would be guaranteed playing time in at least two games.
    https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/07/nf...ble-stars.html

That would make fantasy more annoying, but would be fascinating to watch weekly and to see the gamesmanship of starters/DNP players.

Absolutely dreadful idea

If I’m the union, I tell the owners to stick their creative twist up their collective asses.........and then twist it in a whole lot more.

It’s just plain fucking stupid.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

Just order the flags now.

Regulars will be allowed to wear flags to avoid tackling and/or being tackled for the two games.
      John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

It would certainly promote creativity. I don’t hate it as much as I thought I would. If you were playing a bad team early in the season, treat it as a preseason game. Or play the matchups. Or use it as postseason rest in December.

I don’t hate it.
        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

If this happened, I wouldn’t stop watching, but I would say that I would stop.

Which unfortunately increases the odds that it passes. I still think it would be extremely difficult to get through. Might require the league to drop the franchise tag.

Comment

They want teams to have more chances to make the playoffs?

Comment

So each team rests their best players vs the worst team / teams in the NFL like the Giants or the Cardinals and they end up going 16 - 2 lol I think this is a terrible idea. Just my 2 cents

Comment

HEY LET'S KEEP F'N WITH THE GAME UNTIL IT'S COMPLETELY UNWATCHABLE.

PEOPLE ARE FUCKED UP.

LEAVE THE GAME ALONE A-HOLES.
                "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but why not expand the rosters, eliminate two preseason games, add two regular season games and give everyone one or two more bye weeks? You'll still have football every weekend and an expanded roster could minimize injuries. I really don't get it.

Comment

Well this one was rejected yesterday

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
                    Maybe I'm missing something but why not expand the rosters, eliminate two preseason games, add two regular season games and give everyone one or two more bye weeks? You'll still have football every weekend and an expanded roster could minimize injuries. I really don't get it.
                    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.0d30514fb46a

And ideas similar to that were floated.

But the idea of any extra games has been stopped by the NFLPA for years: https://www.boston.com/sports/nfl/20...d-season-nflpa

Comment

guaranteed contracts would be non-negotiable for me if i'm NFLPA. if 18 game schedule is what it takes I'd do it.

The mlb & nba have it and their players have nowhere near the physical and mental issues NFL players face after they're done playing. every cent of their contracts should be guaranteed.

Comment

I'm always under the philosophy in sports that money talks. The NFL Players Association will always balk at things that can potentially make them more money. They know they can hold out and wait for the league to throw more money at them. I know it's not politically correct but unfortunately that's just business. They will state their health concerns but at the end of the day I will always feel money is on the top of their list of concerns.

Comment

They can have them now ... they just won't get the signing bonuses (which are guaranteed)
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
                            I actually called 97.5 this morning and presented an idea similar to this one, but with a couple extra details.

1. Eliminate 2 preseason games.

2. Add 2 regular season games

3. Add 1-2 extra bye weeks (or delay start of season by 1 week if needed, but ensure SB Sunday is Presidents Day weekend so more people have that Monday off). I actually think more companies would start giving that Monday off if they did this. Make it a real National Holiday.

4. Expand rosters by a few players and allow all to be active on game day.

5. Reduce the number of plays per game by either reducing the number of minutes in a quarter by 2 mins or so (or adjust rules as to when clock stops). Either way, ensure the number of plays per year in an 18 game schedule is basically the same as 16. Same number of plays should keep injury risk about the same.

I’m fine with leaving the schedule at 16, but if they ever go to 18, I think something resembling the above has a better chance of passing and would be more palatable than some of the ideas that have been floated recently.

Four (4) preseason games is awful.

The hosts seemed to like the idea and gave me 2 tix to Fan Fest that I cannot imagine I will use. If one of you want them, PM your e-mail address and I will forward them once I confirm with the wife that we definitely don’t want to go. Is there any reason to go?
                            Last edited by Cosmo; 07-15-2019, 03:11 PM.
                            Originally posted by NorthJerseyEAGLES:

"I know I'm stupid"

Comment

I agree with your third point 100%. I have no idea why the season doesn't go further in February. It's the most miserable month of the year.

I appreciate the offer but I did Fan Fest last year and it was kinda lame. Now, that doesn't mean it will suck this year. I would recommend you try it once since it's free. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X