Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond Joe Douglas selects donnell Pumphrey pick 132

https://twitter.com/zachscrewcf/stat...081411072?s=21

To go into that draft with your top priorities being RB and CB, you had to work really hard to fuck it up. The whole draft unraveled with the Sidney Jones pick. Kamara or Mixon was the pick there, but there were CBs available too. Good ones, healthy ones. Jones was a stupid, unnecessary smarter-than-you gamble given what was on the board at the time.

The Barnett pick was fine... not great, not terrible, just fine. Other than that, Rasul is the only one from the '17 class worth a damn.

I don't know if it's Howie or Diamond Joe (that's gonna stick), but they'd be better off putting their drafting to a fan vote on the website. Because somehow, we figure this shit out better using Walter fucking Football and JustBombsProductions Youtube videos than they do with all of their scouts and experts.

Two years from now, I really hope we're not doing this with JJAW and the other receivers in the '19 draft.
    Last edited by The Duck; 10-08-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Absolutely embarrassing.

Comment

Comment

My recollection is that they loved Jones and he would have been the first round pick if healthy and available. Interesting to think how that may have played out. Jones may have been a bust but then maybe they get a better running back in the second round.

Jones being hurt at least got them the guy who recovered the strip sack in the Super Bowl. Only positive way to spin it, I guess.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

The jones pick doesn't bother me except that if they felt they were a contender, they should have drafted a guy to help the team.

Howie and Joe should be fairly dragged from the Pumph pick - Even if they philosophically waited on an RB, Mack, Carson and Jones were all there. Carson and Mack, IMHO, are two of the better backs in the league.

Comment

honest to God, I think we could put a handful of us together on draft day and using only magazines, websites, and public information could draft as good or better than the eagles traditionally have. we would stick to a strict 'BPA' approach and not get cute.

Diamond Joe was the hottest talent evaluator available! why, his input made the Ravens what they are today! Ozzie who?

you can seriously watch youtube highlight reels of prospects that are put together by ncaa fan boys and hit on a better % of your picks than these guys have. sometimes you look at things TOO much and no longer have any idea what to do. Paralysis by analysis. Perhaps less is more.

watch some film, make sure he doesn't spend his days like Justin Blackmon or nights like Johnny Manziel, and make your picks.

I sure as shit would have never taken a Canadian fire fighter or a 160lb running back.

Comment

there were immediate 'what the fuck?' reactions to the Bumphrey pick.

Comment

bwah! went back into the Bumphrey archives and laughed out loud at this!

HOWIE!

"Shelton Gibson is a guy who right when he came out and we did work on him, he can take the top off," said Howie Roseman, the Eagles' executive vice president of football operations. "You can see he gets separation. He can get vertical, and for us he was the best player on the board. . . . It didn't matter that we drafted a receiver."

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                    To go into that draft with your top priorities being RB and CB, you had to work really hard to fuck it up. The whole draft unraveled with the Sidney Jones pick. Kamara or Mixon was the pick there, but there were CBs available too. Good ones, healthy ones. Jones was a stupid, unnecessary smarter-than-you gamble given what was on the board at the time.

The Barnett pick was fine... not great, not terrible, just fine. Other than that, Rasul is the only one from the '17 class worth a damn.

I don't know if it's Howie or Diamond Joe (that's gonna stick), but they'd be better off putting their drafting to a fan vote on the website. Because somehow, we figure this shit out better using Walter fucking Football and JustBombsProductions Youtube videos than they do with all of their scouts and experts.

Two years from now, I really hope we're not doing this with JJAW and the other receivers in the '19 draft.
                    I think the Jones pick was Howie trying to prove that he is smarter than the Cowboys taking Jaylen Smith and redshirting a projected top 5-10 pick in the 2nd round. Difference is it worked out for the Cowboys not so much for us. Lots of great choices at that pick just a bad decision.

Comment

There was also plenty of "I trust Joe and Howie." In the end it's all a crap shoot anyway.

Comment

In fairness, he probably took the top off the practice squad defense quite a bit.
                        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I may be a longtime die-hard WVU fan but I was scratching my head on the Gibson pick.

I had the same feeling when Parcells/Dolphins took Pat White as the 14th(?) player chosen in the draft. They had plans to use him in the wildcat which I thought was crazy since he only weighed around180lbs(probably less) soaking wet.I loved Pat while at WVU but I thought the only way he'd play at the NFL level was possibly at WR.

You have to wonder what some of these "experts" are smoking sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                          X