OT: Pitching Rotation Strategy (ALCS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Pitching Rotation Strategy (ALCS)

Yanks should throw Burnett in game 3 (against Lee) on Monday and save Hughes for game 4 (assuming series is tied or yanks are up 2-0). No sense in being a decided underdog in games 3 & 4. Basically sacrifice game 3 and hope you can close TX out before you have to face Lee a second time.
    Originally posted by NorthJerseyEAGLES:

"I know I'm stupid"

That would be stupid.

#1 - Hughes is a good pitcher - there's no guarantee he doesn't win that game.

#2 - IF the series goes to Game 7, you now need to pitch Burnett in Game 7 - against Lee or throw Hughes on short rest. I don't think that's what the Yankees want to see.

Comment

Burnett blows. Hughes is good but Lee is sick. Hughes would be major a favorite in game 4 and a major dog in game 3..

I would prefer to do everything possible to avoid seeing Lee twice. If it does get to game 7, it would be by committee. You could probably get 2 out of CC, 2 out of Rivera, 2 out of Hughes, 1 or 2 out of Jaba, 1 or 2 out of Wood, and 1 or 2 out of Burnett.

I know this is not the conventional way of managing but I would do it.

I especially think this is the route to go if the Yanks start off up 2-0. if they are down 2-0, by all means pitch Hughes in game 3. If it is 1-1, it is a tougher call.

"I know I'm stupid"

Comment

They appear to be considering options. Article focuses on Game 2, but Girardi's comments are about looking at options for the entire rotation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5681364

"I know I'm stupid"

Comment

Working...
        X