A major part of the problem with the Eagles' defense is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A major part of the problem with the Eagles' defense is

that Bradley simply is not back 100 percent from the ACL injury. This is what usually happens when a player is coming back off an injury like that, so it was predictable. I blame the F.O. for not anticipating this.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

They never anticipate it. McNabb's poor start in 2007 was b/c of the same thing, IMO.

They must be working on some equation of % of ACL reclamation/recovery patients value added that is very convincing to them--they just keep expecting these guys to be big contributors, despite it blowing up in their face in the form of multiple players per season for the last few. I'm betting if Schmitt continues to impress and demands a FA contract, they let him go and count on Weaver to come back and contribute immediately.
    "The fact is, we carefully edit our reality, searching for evidence that confirms what we already believe. Although we pretend we’re empiricists — our views dictated by nothing but the facts — we’re actually blinkered, especially when it comes to information that contradicts our theories." - Jonah Lehrer

Comment

I don't think that will happen with Schmitt any time soon. The guy is probably just happy to be playing on Sundays.
      I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

I thought he's looked pretty good. I'd keep him around even if Weaver is "ready" by opening day. Really, I'm not a fan of starting a guy immediately from an ACL injury. Welker is the only freak I've heard of doing it successfully.
        "The fact is, we carefully edit our reality, searching for evidence that confirms what we already believe. Although we pretend we’re empiricists — our views dictated by nothing but the facts — we’re actually blinkered, especially when it comes to information that contradicts our theories." - Jonah Lehrer

Comment

I agree. The issue is compounded by the fact that the guys to his left and right, and the 2 guys in front of him are all average at best. The linemen are weak in the middle. The linebackers are weak on the outside. The safeties are making more tackles than they should because Patterson, Bunkley, Jordan and Sims are not.

Comment

Originally posted by JofreyRice View Post
            I thought he's looked pretty good. I'd keep him around even if Weaver is "ready" by opening day. Really, I'm not a fan of starting a guy immediately from an ACL injury. Welker is the only freak I've heard of doing it successfully.
            I completely agree. I still don't think Weaver or Bo Jackson will ever play again. I think Schmitt is the perfect fullback for this team. A real "Philly" type player. I just don't see him being the type to demand anything.
            I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Maybe Birds fans overrated Bradley too

He wasn't all that stellar in coverage in his one full season 2008. The guy's physical and plays the run well, but he's got limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballsy View Post
                He wasn't all that stellar in coverage in his one full season 2008. The guy's physical and plays the run well, but he's got limitations.
                If that's the case, then even more blame goes to the F.O. for not addressing the deficiency.
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Naa I don't think so.....

Under JJ he was really coming on..I'm sure If Belecheat wanted him,,or had him on his team the kid would be playing much better...McDermott is the problem here..I also agree it has alot to do with the Knee injury and the lack of production from the Dt's....linebackers look great when they are running free...I think in a year we will get the Old stew back...
                  OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                  "BFTR"

Comment

I'm not even saying Bradley is a big problem or one of the big problems on the defense. The players on D are mostly fine. I think it's the system and the play-calling that are the big problems.

Comment

If this came from anyone but you

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                      that Bradley simply is not back 100 percent from the ACL injury. This is what usually happens when a player is coming back off an injury like that, so it was predictable. I blame the F.O. for not anticipating this.
                      and without the last sentence, I'd think it was pro-FO. I have been waiting for HowLo to make that kind of comment since the end of the preseason, either to lower expectations in advance of the regular season after showing an inability to stop the run up the middle or in response to poor pass coverage by Bradley.

I don't have any name players who I would have like to see the Eagles sign, but this is clearly yet another sign that we're good there and the FO and FF are smarter than all of us put together.

Comment

I wish MCdumbit would stomp in Andy's office and tell him,,

How about draft a real linebacker. One that can pass rush and cover a tight end. And oh yeah can tackle too. Those linebackers are easy to find FF. There in the front of the draft

Travis Lewis*, OLB, Oklahoma - Scouting Report
                        Height: 6-2. Weight: 232.
                        Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
                        Projected Round (2010): Top 20 Pick

Then here is the no brainer. How about getting a fat boy in that front four.
                        Your linebackers would love it.

Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss
                        Height: 6-2. Weight: 330.
                        Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
                        Projected Round (2011): 1-2.

(*$olve the RCB problem in free agencey)

Comment

A coaching change, maybe?

Originally posted by Ballsy View Post
                          I think it's the system and the play-calling that are the big problems.
                          There needs to be some fresh blood in the coach positions. Part of the problem is that the strategy has stagnated, and the team needs a more objective perspective to stop tweaking things that need a more hammer-like approach.

It's possible the round pegs aren't the problem.
                          WELCOME TO THE PHILA. SPORTS FANISM. WIN, WE LOVE YA, LOSE,WE LOVE YA, BUT YOU'RE A DICK FOR LOSING.
                          - DEERSPINE GUY

The classic Philly sports fan mindset. It's not right or wrong - it is what it is. Both a shame and a mantle of pride. Love and hate in constant turmoil.
                          - Susquehanna Birder

Comment

It's Coaching

McDermott is still wet behind the ears. He game plans for a certain effect and they execute it well. He just needs to not got so heavy and understand there are more to the game than being one dimensional.

For the Foreskins it was all about shutting down McNabb so he would not shine in Philly. They executed it to perfection save one 1st down scramble. Problem was they also have a running game and he got into a hole before he adjusted.

He follows that up with stop Gore and Make Alex beat you. Well Opie, he almost did.

He needs to cut down on being so exotic and pull his head out of the forest and see the trees. Let Sims cover the speedy Vernon Davis. Sims was step for step with that RB from Detroit most of the times he had to cover him. Bradley should be attacking the line of scrimage this year until he is fully healed.
                            no sig

Comment

And even Welker fully admits he's not close to 100%. He was on a limited snap count for a while there (not sure if he still is) and was getting swelling in the bad knee. The Iggs are morons for counting on guys coming off ACL injuries to contribute immediately... you'd think they'd have learned by now.

Stew just looks straight terrible out there. He never impressed with his coverage, but he looks... dare I say.. Trotter-esque out there right now. And not early career beast-mode Trotter either.

Comment

Working...
                              X