Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McLane article praising Mudd inadvertently takes a slight shit on Castillo

Here

The tone of the article would be a little more appropriate if Castillo wasn't still on the staff, and hadn't been promoted to a position with more responsibility.

Sounds like Mudd's technique is world's apart from what Juan was teaching. Ugh, with the learning curve on DLine and defense, and a kicker (and possibly punter) swap, all 3 units will be going through drastic changes. Might be good for the future, but probably doesn't bode well for the present.

A couple quotes:

In February, before the lockout, Mudd met with Herremans, Winston Justice, and Jamaal Jackson. He gave each an instructional DVD and held a few film sessions with the players that gave them a glimpse of things to come.

"I was getting yelled at for stuff that Juan would say, 'Good job,' " Justice said. "We would be watching film and he would say, 'What was this? It's bull.' He hates the vertical set. So when I would have a perfect vertical set he was like, 'That's horrible.' "
    (in regards to turning your back during a block)
    "Juan wasn't a fan of it because he thought it was a shortcut," Herremans said. "But Howard actually played offensive line, Juan never really did. [Juan] just became a really good coach at it. So he doesn't quite understand everything that needs to happen on the field."
    "The fact is, we carefully edit our reality, searching for evidence that confirms what we already believe. Although we pretend were empiricists our views dictated by nothing but the facts were actually blinkered, especially when it comes to information that contradicts our theories." - Jonah Lehrer

So, in other words, Juan had no idea what he was talking about and now he's the d coordinator. Awesome!

EDIT - OK, maybe not. I read the whole article. Looks like he just has a much different approach. Hopefully, a better one...
    Last edited by McCarthy12; 05-03-2011, 09:03 AM.
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Hard to figure how you could spin "He doesn't quite understand everything that needs to happen on the field" into something positive. I mean, isn't that sort of..his job? Maybe he's great at understanding how to walk in/out of the locker room and how to stand around before and after the games, and just kind of has some kind of mental block about the "field" portion of football games.
      "The fact is, we carefully edit our reality, searching for evidence that confirms what we already believe. Although we pretend were empiricists our views dictated by nothing but the facts were actually blinkered, especially when it comes to information that contradicts our theories." - Jonah Lehrer

Comment

haha I know. I just edited my post because it does seem like Mudd just has a different approach. Although you're right - you can't read Justice's quote and not hear "Juan doesn't know what he's doing." That said, I'm pretty sure Juan wasn't teaching the "human turnstile" technique which led to Justice giving up 10 sacks against the Giants and getting pulled in a playoff game. Justice needs to look in the mirror a bit.
        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

wasn't castillo a linebackers coach before he came here to be an o-line coach? or was he offense before he came here?
          I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then Im going after your wife and kid

Comment

May come off as fluffing and I am not saying my point is necessarily valid here, but it is certainly conceivable that one might be a great OC/DC but an ineffective position coach. If one can develop great game plans/schemes, motivate and evaluate talent, they can be a great coordinator without being a SME at blocking techniques, etc..

Begs the question why JC would have been a position coach for so long though.
            Last edited by Cosmo; 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM.
            Originally posted by NorthJerseyEAGLES:

"I know I'm stupid"

Comment

You could be right. It seems like a pretty risky proposition, though, to have a guy that is pretty much an entirely unknown commodity take over the unit that has a critical need for improvement.

I don't think Castillo was a shit OL coach. Unless McLane was trying to cast some doubt on Castillo's abilities, I think the article was just a bit clumsily arranged, and the quotes were worded a bit awkwardly in context.

Comment

All of these changes are going to be particularly difficult to digest in a year without minicamps and perhaps training camp.
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I don't think it's going to go too well.

Comment

Originally posted by JofreyRice View Post
                    I don't think it's going to go too well.
                    This issue can be helped by a delay in the start of the season. Also could mean we finish the season stronger than we start it.

Trying to take an optimistic view for a change.
                    Originally posted by NorthJerseyEAGLES:

"I know I'm stupid"

Comment

I think everything is going to work out just fine with all the new coaches and whatnot. The outcome of this season is going to be how long can Vick stay fresh and healthy...period. If he starts taking on tacklers, and playing like he's Brian Urlacher, it will be another long and mediocre year.

Comment

Working...
                      X