Right tackle is the big problem again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right tackle is the big problem again

Maybe they figured Justice would be ready. Now he's way behind learning Mudd's scheme. We can't count on Ryan Harris, the dude's always hurt. Now they're trying King Dunlap again - he's struggling with the new scheme too.

The smart thing would be go with 2 TE sets alot. Supposedly Donald Lee was blocking Babin and the d-ends 1-on-1 in camp. Give Vick good protection and he'll still kill teams, even if he's got one fewer receiving option.

The thing I'd like to see them do

is slide Herremans out there. If you put Evan Mathis at LG, you've got a nifty solution to getting the best 5 guys on the field. I wonder why they don't do it?

Mathis started 18 games at LG for the Bengals in the past 2 years, and allowed only 2 sacks. The dude is fucking yoked, too. 285 (light, but that's what Mudd prefers, supposedly) at like 12% body fat. Definitely could get out on the second level on screens and plow LBs for Shady. If this guy was coming out of school with his build and athleticism, he'd be a 1st round pick--ala Tyron Smith of the Cowboys, but Mathis is a way more polished and NFL-game-tested guard version.

There's got to be some reason why they don't just move Todd out there, but he's looked better and more serviceable than Justice the Enjoyable Blogger whenever I've watched him play.
    Last edited by JofreyRice; 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM.
    "The fact is, we carefully edit our reality, searching for evidence that confirms what we already believe. Although we pretend we’re empiricists — our views dictated by nothing but the facts — we’re actually blinkered, especially when it comes to information that contradicts our theories." - Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Herremans can definitely play that position.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by JofreyRice View Post
        is slide Herremans out there.
        I'd imagine this is what they will do if the season started today.

If you already know Herremans can play that position then preseason is the time to give young or inexperienced guys reps. Or give guys like Justice and Harris time to play through injuries to determine if they can.

If the games actually counted I bet they'd do exactly what you said...Herremans to RT and Evans in at guard.

Also: Free Earl.
        Last edited by 4Who4What; 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Apparently Mathis was getting some reps @ RT. Makes much less sense than putting him @ LG and Herremans @ RT.

Really wish we could have stolen Free from the cowgirls.. that would have been a nice punctuation mark to a solid off-season.

Comment

Did Herremans take any reps at camp when you were there? If they believe he can play the position, then I can't imagine why they wouldn't plug him in.

Comment

Reid would plug Herremans in there, but who know if Mudd wants that. Let's see what King Dunlap does Thursday. the guy played pretty well last year, including at left tackle shutting down John Abraham

Comment

Yeah,,,,

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                Did Herremans take any reps at camp when you were there? If they believe he can play the position, then I can't imagine why they wouldn't plug him in.

This is like trying to put Sheldon Brown at Saftey. It wont happen.

Comment

Andy is good for at least one blind spot every season.

You would have thought that they'd just plug Herremanns in there and fix it.
                  John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

But didn't it already happen in 2005?
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

The only thing I can think is that they want to keep an O-Line somewhat similar to what the Saints run, where the best O-Linemen are actually the guards, and the Tackles are just serviceable. Having your best guys there helps counter d-coordinators trying to destroy the pocket from the inside out, and creates a vicious screen game.

They better have some help for King Dunlap on Thursday, though. James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley are both beastly off the edge.
                      "The fact is, we carefully edit our reality, searching for evidence that confirms what we already believe. Although we pretend we’re empiricists — our views dictated by nothing but the facts — we’re actually blinkered, especially when it comes to information that contradicts our theories." - Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Originally posted by JofreyRice View Post
                        The only thing I can think is that they want to keep an O-Line somewhat similar to what the Saints run, where the best O-Linemen are actually the guards, and the Tackles are just serviceable. Having your best guys there helps counter d-coordinators trying to destroy the pocket from the inside out, and creates a vicious screen game.

They better have some help for King Dunlap on Thursday, though. James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley are both beastly off the edge.
                        Its hard to complain about the FO this year.

It would have been nice to fix that problem first.

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                        But didn't it already happen in 2005?

I dont remember much from 2005. I was doing alot of drinking and burning T.O jerseys.
                        Last edited by Ivan-d-terrible; 08-17-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

FF may not have moved Todd to RT because he does so much directing for the center and LT. So many guys get plugged in there without a good grasp of the playbook and Todd basically tells them who to block.

Imagine making less then the guy next to you and having to tell him how to do his job... Bullshit

Comment

Dunlap blows. If thats our option out there we are fucked if we dont plan on keeping a TE in. Justice isnt anything above serviceable when healthy. Harris is supposed to be good but is already injured again. Im ready to give the Herremans area a try at RT.

But i dont see it happening. If that was even in their mind at all he would have gotten some reps at RT. He hasnt.

Comment

Working...
                            X