dont get the Jimmy hate a little bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont get the Jimmy hate a little bit

who was the last guy to actually get a postseason hit that meant anything?

still a young enough man to overcome the recent injury history and be among the top five shortstops...that's a position that is more important defensively and the guy is still a stud with the glove. Up the middle defense almost as important as pitching. that's what the 70s-80s Phils were built on.

three years is not a stretch at all given the SS market... make the fourth and/or fifth years optional with a fair buyout

I get it the last two years ended badly but Rollins was not the big problem.

Filling a major hole at SS even with declining offensive production is a big problem.

Also...this is one of the few guys who elevates his game in big games. I'll will take the occasional jog to first.

Guy is the best shortstop in Phils history. Sorry Bowa blowers. not even close.
    Last edited by Irish George; 12-08-2011, 10:42 PM.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
    who was the last guy to actually get a postseason hit that meant anything?

still a young enough man to overcome the recent injury history and be among the top five shortstops...that's a position that is more important defensively and the guy is still a stud with the glove. Up the middle defense almost as important as pitching. that's what the 70s-80s Phils were built on.

three years is not a stretch at all given the SS market... make the fourth and/or fifth years optional with a fair buyout

I get it the last two years ended badly but Rollins was not the big problem.

Filling a major hole at SS even with declining offensive production is a big problem.

Also...this is one of the few guys who elevates his game in big games. I'll will take the occasional jog to first.

Guy is the best shortstop in Phils history. Sorry Bowa blowers. not even close.
    Didn't see Bowa play but I hear from many an oldhead he was as good or better in the field as Jroll. Can't argue that Jimmy has been better at the plate. As long as the deal is not 5 years, I'm fine with it. I've never loved his plate discipline, but he is a much tougher out in high pressure situations, and for that I tip the cap.

Comment

Don't agree he is better than Bowa, but for today's team, I agree 3 yr contract with optional 3/4 with buy out. He is one of the best out there and clutch under pressure

Comment

how many clutch hits and extra base hits did bowa get?

Originally posted by dmg489 View Post
        Don't agree he is better than Bowa, but for today's team, I agree 3 yr contract with optional 3/4 with buy out. He is one of the best out there and clutch under pressure
        Not many shortstops can lead off a game and jumpstart their team with a homer or double.

Bowa sure wasn't that kind of hitter
        Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
        May 7, 2010

Comment

What about Steve Jeltz!
          -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
            What about Steve Jeltz!
            or Kevin Stocker

Comment

He was clutch when it counted--hit .316 in the 1980 NLCS and .375 in the 1980 WS. His steal of 2nd when the Phils were down 4-0 in the 1st game of the Series that year was what ignited the Phils to win that game.

Comment

Absolutely He Is

Nothing against Bowa, but look at his career numbers and how they compare to Jimmy's. Jimmy looks like Albert Pujols in comparison. He could very well finish with the 2nd most hits for a Shortstop ever, behind Jeter. Shortstops like A-Rod and Troy Tulowitzki are few and far between in the history of baseball. Heck, look at Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel's career numbers.

I wish Jimmy was more of a prototypical leadoff man, but he is what he is at this point in his career. I'd prefer him hitting in the 6 or 7 spot, but I still think he has 3 or 4 more solid years left. People are going to miss him very fast when they see what else is out there at the Shortstop position. Imagine a year of Wilson Valdez and Mike Martinez, waiting and hoping that a long shot prospect like Galvis pans out in Lehigh? No thanks.

The "Team to Beat" statement alone makes Jimmy a Philadelphia legend.

Comment

Ivan DeJesus

Comment

Cookie Rojas

An all star name if nothing else.
                    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

I guess bobbyuk told you, IG

You stupid.

Comment

100% agree

His D and his clutch hits are what makes him valuable. I'd prefer a different guy at the top of the order, but Jimmy actually walked at a pretty good pace last year.

He's helped define this era of Phils baseball. I'd hate to see him go.
                        "The fact is, we carefully edit our reality, searching for evidence that confirms what we already believe. Although we pretend we’re empiricists — our views dictated by nothing but the facts — we’re actually blinkered, especially when it comes to information that contradicts our theories." - Jonah Lehrer

Comment

SIGN J ROLL TO WHATEVER WILL MAKE HIM HAPPY. IT'S NOT MY MONEY,BUT IT IS OUR PARADE.
                          "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Working...
                          X