Phils go for the sweep today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phils go for the sweep today

They're looking like a real contender in the east. I don't think, as constructed, they can win a playoff series (a WC game is a different story), but they look good enough to compete over 162 games.

Really getting some great starting pitching performances. I'd like to see them acquire a decent SP at the deadline.

I know he's been hot lately but I still don't like the Santana signing.

Comment

I don't mind Santana, it's only a 3 year deal, the guy gets on base and Rhys will become more versatile playing in left and can always move back to first once Santana's gone.

Regarding pitching, idk how long it's going to take for this team to figure out that Velasquez can't last 5 innings without giving up 10 HRs and that he needs to move to the bullpen, but that needs to be addressed.

They've got some guys in the minors I'd like to see get called up soon i.e. Enyel De Los Santos who they got for Galvis and Eshelman. They also have some guys who need some polishing in A+/AA i.e. Sixto, Medina, Kilome, Romero. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them pan out.

Would also love to see Hamels back in red pinstripes if Klentak can swing a deal w the Rangers on the cheap.
      Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Vince is a reverse kind of stopper.
        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
          I know he's been hot lately but I still don't like the Santana signing.
          He is scaldingly hot. Give it a few more weeks and you will no longer dislike the signing.

Comment

Three run shot

Look what I did.

Comment

I just didn't like him taking a spot from a younger player. He's created a logjam where I would rather have seen all of the young guys hit everyday. I get protecting Hoskins but I think there may have been more sensible options than overpaying him. JMO

Comment

They got a kid in Clearwater, Hall, who's been incredible the last 2 years in the Minors. Basically the same kind of path as Hoskins and if he continues he'll be ready by the time Santana is out of here.

VV has such a good arm, but is definitely destined of their already deep bullpen. Need one more starter to really compete.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
                  They got a kid in Clearwater, Hall, who's been incredible the last 2 years in the Minors. Basically the same kind of path as Hoskins and if he continues he'll be ready by the time Santana is out of here.

VV has such a good arm, but is definitely destined of their already deep bullpen. Need one more starter to really compete.
                  VV is in no way destined for the bullpen. For one thing, he has all the tools to be a top of the rotation guy, except for maturity. Secondly, he doesn't have the control, nor at this point the mentality, to be able to go into a game and fix someone else's mess. Curt Schilling went through similar growing pains with the Orioles and Astros before blossoming as a Phil.

Comment

I agree and at first was against the move, but the guy's OBP historically is nuts so it was a classic Klentak trying to be Billie Beane move. I don't mind it at this point since Rhys moving to left doesn't really block Altherr/Williams, who I don't wanna see play everyday.
                    Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Hall's mashing in Clearwater, which is a pitcher-friendly league, but he's also my age so I'm not gonna jump to conclusions and compare him to Hoskins when he could be Darin Ruf or Matt Rizzotti. Kapler's apparently taken notice and is paying close attention to him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up quickly, maybe even to Philly by end of year and is in the ultimate plan to stay at first with Rhys at left.
                      Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

My only argument would be that Billy Beane would get those numbers for a lot less than $25m per. I know they have money to burn right now but you send future big ticket free agents the wrong message. Now there's a good chance we have a player like Ryan Howard (at the end of career) where we are counting how many more years are we paying him $25m. I just didn't think they needed to overspend for a declining asset and bump Hoskins to the outfield.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post

Vince usually starts strong and falls apart around the 5th, or he's bad from the jump and he's out of the game by the 3rd. It was nice to see him recover and find his best stuff after it looked like it was going to be a shelling. Two really good starts in a row for VV. If he becomes a confident pitcher, he can be damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
                            Hall's mashing in Clearwater, which is a pitcher-friendly league, but he's also my age so I'm not gonna jump to conclusions and compare him to Hoskins when he could be Darin Ruf or Matt Rizzotti. Kapler's apparently taken notice and is paying close attention to him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up quickly, maybe even to Philly by end of year and is in the ultimate plan to stay at first with Rhys at left.
                            He’s 22 and hit 29 HRs in Lakewood last year (where nobody hits). Much closer to Hoskins than the other 2 you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                              Vince usually starts strong and falls apart around the 5th, or he's bad from the jump and he's out of the game by the 3rd. It was nice to see him recover and find his best stuff after it looked like it was going to be a shelling. Two really good starts in a row for VV. If he becomes a confident pitcher, he can be damn good.
                              If he learns consistent control the sky is the limit for the Phillies.

Comment

Working...
                              X