Interesting dilemma for McNabb haters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brotherharv View Post
    Dan Fouts, the only way that overrated POS should allowed in is with a ticket.

He throw 5 picks to the Houston Oilers practice squad at home in a playoff game in 1979. He lost that day to someone named Gifford Nielsen.
    I BELIEVE ANYONE COULD FIND A BAD GAME OR THREE FROM ANY HOF PLAYER.

MCWORMBURNER IS WHERE HE SHOULD BE IN IGGLES HOF, AND DESERVED ...NOT THE GRAND DADDY HOF..
    "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
      False dilemma. One doesn't have to be a hater to think that Donovan doesn't belong in the HOF. And Troy Aikman doesn't have to be the standard for HOF admission.

I didn't really mind what McNabb said about Wentz but he seems a little delusional with the Aikman comparison. Aikman peaked 10 years before McNabb did. If McNabb wants to compare his numbers to someone from the early 90s, then he has to also compare himself to Rivers, Ryan, and even Stafford for HOF consideration.

He's also ignoring the postseason. If he thinks that he could have won 3 rings on Aikman's team, fine, but that's not how it works. A QB with McNabb's regular season numbers, and a peak of only 4-5 years as one of the best in the league needs at least one SB win to make the HOF. McNabb doesn't have that, nor does he have very good postseason numbers. I was a big fan of his for a while, but I don't think he's close to HOF.
      Re reading your post we sorta had the same point in mind.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
        As long as they don’t snub Considine, I’m good.
        OR SHAWN ANDREWS. HE WAS A BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by thegodfather View Post
          Brett Favre got in with ONE Super Bowl and a shit load of Interceptions and bad plays, Favre was Mr Throw it up and see what happens. Was called by several sports writers (one here in philly) Most Overrated QB in Football history.
          I don't think he is a HOFER the way he threw the ball up for grabs in OT at the linc in 2003

Comment

SO BECAUSE OF THAT ONE PLAY HE SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN IN. UUMM OK.

Comment

Originally posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post
              SO BECAUSE OF THAT ONE PLAY HE SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN IN. UUMM OK.
              He had tons of interceptions and two more game ending int's as a Viking and Jet

Comment

I beg to differ ... and you have not addressed the point ... ie. that an Eagle fan who IS already a McNabb hater is faced with not being a hater of all things Dallas, if that fan allows the hatred of McNabb to trump McNabb's piss on Aikman.

The opinion of a random fan (Eagle or otherwise) about McNabb's worthiness for the HOF is irrelevant to the point at hand.

Hating Dallas should be something that occurs in a vacuum for a true Eagle fan ... no?
                Last edited by slag; 05-27-2019, 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                  I beg to differ ... and you have not addressed the point ... ie. that an Eagle fan who IS already a McNabb hater is faced with not being a hater of all things Dallas, if that fan allows the hatred of McNabb to trump McNabb's piss on Aikman.

The opinion of a random fan (Eagle or otherwise) about McNabb's worthiness for the HOF is irrelevant to the point at hand.

Hating Dallas should be something that occurs in a vacuum for a true Eagle fan ... no?
                  A few things about McNabb from my perspective:

He did throw a lot of balls into the ground. Wormburners. He may have been coached to do that... I don't know. He had a powerful arm.

As Kelly Green used to note he seemed to lack the ability to throw a pass with "touch". As much as I liked to disagree with KG, I really couldn't disagree with him there.

McNabb did manage to keep the INTs to a minimum but I can recall a few very costly ones.
                  --------
                  "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                    A few things about McNabb from my perspective:

He did throw a lot of balls into the ground. Wormburners. He may have been coached to do that... I don't know. He had a powerful arm.

As Kelly Green used to note he seemed to lack the ability to throw a pass with "touch". As much as I liked to disagree with KG, I really couldn't disagree with him there.

McNabb did manage to keep the INTs to a minimum but I can recall a few very costly ones.
                    and manage to win in the postseason

Comment

Pandering.

Comment

Fuck Eli

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                        I'm not advocating for Slackjawn, just comparing him to McNabb.
                        I don't think McNabb deserves to get in, but I think his case is as good as Eli's.

I don't think Super Bowl rings or Single game MVPs should be the determining factor for HOF. In order to be in the HOF, you ought to be one of the best players at your position for a length of time during the era you played. AT least McNabb was in the MVP race and was the best QB in the league for a season.

In no season was Eli even in the conversation for League MVP. I'm not sure he was ever even a top 5 candidate. A QB not even being in the MVP race for a season tells me he wasn't one of the greatest of his peers. Eli's career outside of the two Super Bowl runs was unimpressive - and his numbers are due to longevity/health in a passing era. He is clearly a very good QB, but not a HOFer in my book

In Eli's era, he played with Peyton, Brady, Roethlisburger, Brees, Rogers just for starters. I put Eli in a group with Rivers, McNabb, and Romo - very good QBs in a strong QB era - but not good enough to be in the HOF. Of that group, I'd probably put Rivers in next if any of them were to get in.

How many QBs from the same era should get into the HOF??

Comment

McNabb's problem is that he had 5 ELITE years followed by ten years that were mostly mediocre with a few a little above average and some below average. The years after 2004, by and large, were not very good and every year he played after 2004 diluted his career - maybe not by the numbers, but by the perception. Ultimately, not having won a SB (or at least not having gotten to more than 1) during that 5 year stretch will do him in.

I don't think Eli is a HOF caliber player, but he will get in. Rothlisburger deserves to be in. Rivers probably does, too.
                          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by Bardy View Post
                            I don't think McNabb deserves to get in, but I think his case is as good as Eli's.

I don't think Super Bowl rings or Single game MVPs should be the determining factor for HOF. In order to be in the HOF, you ought to be one of the best players at your position for a length of time during the era you played. AT least McNabb was in the MVP race and was the best QB in the league for a season.

In no season was Eli even in the conversation for League MVP. I'm not sure he was ever even a top 5 candidate. A QB not even being in the MVP race for a season tells me he wasn't one of the greatest of his peers. Eli's career outside of the two Super Bowl runs was unimpressive - and his numbers are due to longevity/health in a passing era. He is clearly a very good QB, but not a HOFer in my book

In Eli's era, he played with Peyton, Brady, Roethlisburger, Brees, Rogers just for starters. I put Eli in a group with Rivers, McNabb, and Romo - very good QBs in a strong QB era - but not good enough to be in the HOF. Of that group, I'd probably put Rivers in next if any of them were to get in.

How many QBs from the same era should get into the HOF??

HE'S GETTING IN. FIRST BALLOT. HE'S A MANNING AND S.B. MVP, BUT HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE, ENTIRE DEFENSE SHOULD HAVE BEEN. BUT NONE THE LESS, HE HAS S.B. MVP NEXT TO HIS NAME.

Comment

I agree that Eli will get in, but it's a travesty in my opinion. Even in the two Super Bowl years, halfway into both of them, their own fans were calling for his head. He had two legendary half seasons/playoff runs. It should take more to be a HOF'er.

He'll get in because of name, playing in NY and the two Super Bowls, and his longevity. The fact that outside of the two Super Bowl years, he's only led his team to the playoffs 4 other times in a 15 YR Career and is 0-4 in those other playoff appearances should disqualify him. Add to that only 4 pro bowl selections in 15 years in an era when at least 8 QB's a year get the distinction is ridiculous. (3 plus the two SB QBs)

Comment

What do you beg to differ with?

Concerning your point, I still think it is a false dilemma. A McNabb "hater" can hate Dallas without liking what McNabb said about Aikman.

McNabb "hater" or not, I don't know why hating Dallas as a "true fan" means anyone has to like what McNabb said. The fact that McNabb ignores the changes in the game since the early 90s, and Aiman's 3 rings, just makes him sound delusional.

Comment

Working...
                                X