IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM  
Posted in reply to bobbyuk's post starting "It is. The basic package is about $500..."
Corkey_for_President

Can anyone get that type of ticket or do you need to be part of a group?
Unread 01-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #22
Hermit_Road

Default Quality news

This is absolutely fantastic news only made better by the fact itís at Wembley so I donít have to dirty myself by going to Tottenham to see the Birds.

Gonna be accommodating a crowd from NJ for this one.
Hermit_Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2018, 05:25 PM  
Posted in reply to bobbyuk's post starting "It is. The basic package is about $500..."
Hermit_Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyuk View Post
It is. The basic package is about $500 and the upgraded package about $680. They have a 2 game deal that goes about $1000. They have a huge tailgate section. This past season I went to see the Browns-Vikings at Twickenham and it was awesome. On the streets leading to the stadium they had food stalls and places hawking NFL merchandise. I will make one suggestion to anyone coming over. Try and get rooms in either a Travelodge or Premier Inn. Those are the only 2 places that charge per room per night. Everywhere else charges per person, per room per night.

One thing I noticed about the Wembley games is how many US visitors stay in Wembley. For my money, if any of you lot are coming over, avoid Wembley like the plague. Stay in central London or anywhere on the Jubilee line. Youíll have much better surroundings, and an easy tube ride to the ground. Wembley itself is a hole.
Unread 01-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #24
slag

slag is an unknown quantity at this point

Climbing?

The ratings are in the toilet ... they have to give make-goods to advertisers after wild card weekend.

As paraphrased from the most recent issue of Esquire:

In a league where one of it's biggest issues includes serious concerns over concussions, the owners are the ones who should have their heads examined for paying Goodell his most recent contract.
Unread 01-11-2018, 07:35 PM  
Posted in reply to slag's post starting "Climbing? The ratings are in the..."
IronEagle
El-Correctomundo

IronEagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slag View Post
Climbing?

The ratings are in the toilet ... they have to give make-goods to advertisers after wild card weekend.

As paraphrased from the most recent issue of Esquire:

In a league where one of it's biggest issues includes serious concerns over concussions, the owners are the ones who should have their heads examined for paying Goodell his most recent contract.
Ratings are down, but it's not all bad. See the following linked article. I think that anybody that won't watch the NFL for political reasons has already self selected themselves out of the audience by now, so probably the bleeding has been stanched.

Interesting to note that the late Sunday afternoon games are the biggest draw.

http://adage.com/article/media/ratings-slum/311777/
Unread 01-11-2018, 08:08 PM  
Posted in reply to bobbyuk's post starting "YES!!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!! Several of us..."
Snakebitten

I went to a Premiere League game (QPR vs Newcastle United, Loftus Road Stadium) a few years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, if you're looking to save money, just find a place within the tube's five zones? I stayed in Ealing, London (Hotel Xanadu) and everything was within walking distance of the London Underground. I didn't have to rent a car. I used the 'Days out Guide' for a lot of the tourist traps (buy one, get one free). I did a bus day trip to Stonehenge for only $100 per person. Overall, the air, hotel, and transportation was surprisingly not that expensive. London (food and drink) is very expensive. Very beautiful city.
Snakebitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2018, 04:42 AM   #27
bobbyuk

bobbyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone can.
bobbyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2018, 04:46 AM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I went to a Premiere League game (QPR..."
bobbyuk

No one should have to rent a car coming to London. It’s just like when I go to Philly. There’s enough public transportation to get to where you want to go. In 2016 I took PATH and regional rail to places outside of Philly where I wanted to go. And in London, since last year if you take two buses within an hour of boarding the first one you only get charged the initial fare.
Unread 01-12-2018, 05:03 AM  
Posted in reply to bobbyuk's post starting "No one should have to rent a car coming..."
Hermit_Road

Bobby is spot on. Hiring a car in London would be more of a hindrance than a help. I would caution against staying just anywhere inside zone 5 though as some stations are a fair trek from Wembley. That being said, there are plenty of cheaper, decent hotels in zone 2. Take Canary Wharf even. Youíve got a few budget hotels here which will serve anyone wanting to save a few quid and get to the game in good time whilst also being well situated to get to other places.

Hereís a couple.

https://www.pointahotels.com/our-hot...rfzyVlBcmt7.97

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/...on%20Docklands
Unread 01-12-2018, 08:32 AM  
Posted in reply to Hermit_Road's post starting "Bobby is spot on. Hiring a car in..."
Snakebitten

To Overbrook's point, you would be doing yourself a huge injustice if you didn't visit the country during your stay. London is truly one of the nicest cities in the world.

As far as transportation, if I recall correctly, I just bought the Oyster Travelcard which covered everything from the tube, trains, and buses.

Last edited by Snakebitten; 01-12-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Unread 01-12-2018, 11:55 AM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "To Overbrook's point, you would be..."
bobbyuk

How recently were you here. You need to buy an Oyster card, you are correct. I doubt any stateside credit or debit cards, which you can also use, would work on the gates or the buses. There’s no cash on the buses now and most tube stations only have machines in them to get tickets. No more ticket windows. The other reason not to rent a car in London is because of the congestion charge. From the hours between 0700-6pm you’re charged app $15 to drive into the inner city. There are signs telling you where the congestion charge starts plus you’d have to pay an arm and a leg to park IF you could find a place.
Unread 01-12-2018, 04:43 PM  
Posted in reply to bobbyuk's post starting "How recently were you here. You need to..."
Snakebitten

I was there a few years ago. All I remember is buying a 7-day Oyster card and didn't have to pay for anything else the whole time I was there. I think it was maybe $75 per person (not sure). Great deal and very convenient.
Unread 01-12-2018, 06:46 PM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I was there a few years ago. All I..."
Hermit_Road

Oyster cards are often optional. Not everybody bothers with them. Take this chap for example who vaulted over the barrier.

https://youtu.be/od8Bzyy5LBU
Unread 01-12-2018, 06:51 PM  
Posted in reply to Hermit_Road's post starting "Oyster cards are often optional. Not..."
harls

How interesting would it be if the Eagles and Jags made it to the SB. Then the rematch would end up in London.
harls is offline   Reply With Quote