No announcement yet.

Machado to Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not that the Phillies couldn't match it, Middleton didn't want to match it.

If the question now is whether or not Bryce is worth an additional $40-50 mill from a marketing standpoint alone, I think Middleton says yes.
    Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
      It's not that the Phillies couldn't match it, Middleton didn't want to match it.

If the question now is whether or not Bryce is worth an additional $40-50 mill from a marketing standpoint alone, I think Middleton says yes.
      Yes, I think they will definitely sign Harper. It would be a PR disaster otherwise.

They can use that Machado $$$ to land Arenado next year or hold out for Trout.

Comment

The Phillies were never going to sign both, partly because of their hopefulness that Trout hits the market in 2 years.

Ironically, however, whatever the Phillies (or whoever) pay Harper will set the bench mark for the contract the Angels (and possibly the Phillies in 2 years) offer Trout.
        Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

If they top it off by adding harper, keuchel and kimbrel? You may not get any of those guys.

Padres are young and loaded with elite pitching prospects. They'll be a good team within a year.

you cannot blame machado for picking SD. huge money, loaded farm system, amazing weather, and he's gonna pay FLA residency taxes on a lot of it.

People saying he only did it for the money aren't giving padres a fair shake. They'll be good soon. Likely will have 3 players up from their farm system within a month, if not out of camp.

Comment

That’s just sick....

...sorry, sports contracts are just getting ridiculous IMO.
            "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
              If they top it off by adding harper, keuchel and kimbrel? You may not get any of those guys.

Padres are young and loaded with elite pitching prospects. They'll be a good team within a year.

you cannot blame machado for picking SD. huge money, loaded farm system, amazing weather, and he's gonna pay FLA residency taxes on a lot of it.

People saying he only did it for the money aren't giving padres a fair shake. They'll be good soon. Likely will have 3 players up from their farm system within a month, if not out of camp.

Hawk has already guaranteed Harper will be a Phillie. It’s done...

Comment

Your math isn’t that far off.

Disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
                  Hawk has already guaranteed Harper will be a Phillie. It’s done...
                  Mark it down!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                    how does that math work, exactly?

The padres have the best farm system in baseball right now with several elite prospects about to be brought up in the next year or 2. I'd bank on them improving dramatically starting as soon as 2020.

The Phillies aren't exactly annual WS contenders last time I checked.
                    Stop, the Padres stink, unless you live under a brick you would know this, there is no guarantee players projected to be good make in the big show. Check out the Phillies list in the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by 06hawkalum View Post
                      The Phillies improved dramatically this off-season. When they top it off by adding Harper, Keuchel, and Kimbrel they will be WS contenders.

Not one single Padres starting pitcher would make the Phillies rotation. It is quite possibly the worst rotation in MLB history.
                      Thank you for also setting him straight

Comment

The Phillies were never going to sign both, partly because of their hopefulness that Trout hits the market in 2 years.
                        No - they had a number for Machado. I don't think Klentak was bluffing on that. I think that discussion is what spurred the "stupid money" comment - that is, if they could get both for 550 mil, they would.

Ironically, however, whatever the Phillies (or whoever) pay Harper will set the bench mark for the contract the Angels (and possibly the Phillies in 2 years) offer Trout.
                        Maybe, maybe not. Trout will be 28, which is different than 26 (duh).

Comment

I think they definitely had a number for Machado and that Klentak may very well have wanted Machado > Harper. That being said, I don't think they went all in on Machado because Machado accepting that number would have impacted the number they would have been willing to offer Harper.

Trout will be 26 this year and if the Angels try to work out an extension with him ASAP so he doesn't hit FA, Harper's new contract will set a benchmark for that extension. That extension offer would also thus be a benchmark to whatever Trout gets in FA (similar to the Nats extension offer of 10 years/$300 mill to Harper).
                          Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                            ...sorry, sports contracts are just getting ridiculous IMO.
                            Are they actually though, in proportion to the revenue?

Comment

What part of 2019 and beyond is lost on you? Why am I even bothering?

As of yesterday, 2019 Vegas over/under win odds for Phillies 86. Padres: 78

That was before today’s signing.

This isn’t a case of choosing the 62 Mets over the 27 NYY.
                              Last edited by Ellsworth; 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Salisbury is reporting that Machado’s camp circled back to the Philllies and gave them a chance to match. They obviously declined.

Comment

Working...
                                X