Will Harper get #34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Harper get #34

Or did the Phils retire that in honor of Doc?

Originally posted by brotherharv View Post
    Or did the Phils retire that in honor of Doc?
    I think that is a discussion Harper will have with Doc's family. It has not officially been retired.

Realmuto is wearing Dutch's number fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by 06hawkalum View Post
      I think that is a discussion Harper will have with Doc's family. It has not officially been retired.

Realmuto is wearing Dutch's number fwiw.
      I do not see it happening, he should take 00 or 99 that is a good fit for him.

Comment

He's wearing 3. Personally, I think 34 would have been acceptable. Doc was great and he has passed but most of his greatness was in Toronto wearing 33. I think his family would have blessed another great player wearing 34 in Philly.
        Side note: Daulton is a Philly great IMO and they let Realmuto have 10...thoughts?

Comment

You think Dalton should have had his number retired?

EDITED TO ADD: I just looked up his numbers ... it's closer than I thought, particularly for a catcher. Still, they're going to run out of numbers if the criteria for number retirement aren't more strict than Wall of Fame qualifications.
          Last edited by slag; 03-02-2019, 09:45 AM.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG JAY View Post
            He's wearing 3. Personally, I think 34 would have been acceptable. Doc was great and he has passed but most of his greatness was in Toronto wearing 33. I think his family would have blessed another great player wearing 34 in Philly.
            Side note: Daulton is a Philly great IMO and they let Realmuto have 10...thoughts?
            Daulton was great but not hall of fame great so I have no problem with someone wearing his number. As for Doc I think out of respect you do not give his 34 out. Also I think he wore 32 in Toronto.

Comment

The Phillies only retire the numbers of players elected to the HoF. Good policy imo.

Eventually, probably long after our lifetimes, teams like the Yankees will need to either unretire numbers, start issuing three digit numbers, or do away with numbers all together.

Comment

He is going with #3

Comment

His reasoning was spot on

“Roy Halladay is #34, it shouldn’t be worn again in Philadelphia”—Bryce Harper

Comment

Working...
                  X