No announcement yet.

Not a fan of the new arena league NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's different now not just a blip. Not only are the rules benefiting offenses but they are pulling more and more college concepts in and getting college results. The rules allow offenses so much space to operate in making it impossible to get off the field without the offense screwing up. You're left with defensive coordinators just trying to force a couple huge mistakes per game and basically omitting the rest.

Comment

I feel like the space has always been there for offenses to operate, but coaches were too stubborn to integrate college concepts in the past. Now that cigar chompers like Rich Kotite aren't NFL coaches, they've found that using the whole field actually works.

Comment

Using that MNF rating to support the notion that fans love pinball game scoring is wagging the dog.

That game would have pulled the same rating if the final was 21-24 ... it got the audience because you had two top teams with hot "new" QBs.

The general ratings aren't a function of high scoring ... and IMO, if the NFL turns into the Big 12 ratings will ultimately suffer.
        Last edited by slag; 11-21-2018, 10:40 AM.
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

That's not what I'm doing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tv-viewership/

There you have SB viewership since 1990. From 05 to 15, the SB saw its largest increase in popularity over any 10-year period since 1990. No, the rule changes aren't what caused popularity to increase. But given that they coincided with that increase in popularity, and did help guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady that drive viewership, does the NFL have any incentive to go back to its old rules? I'm saying no.
          Last edited by art vandelay; 11-21-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I did a little research

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
            I feel like the space has always been there for offenses to operate, but coaches were too stubborn to integrate college concepts in the past. Now that cigar chompers like Rich Kotite aren't NFL coaches, they've found that using the whole field actually works.
            In 2009 there was a combined 299 dpi or d holding penalties called. In 2017 there was 525 dpi or d hold called. I don't think the space was there previously.

Www.nflpenalties.com
            Last edited by Greenstealth; 11-21-2018, 01:19 PM. Reason: Cite my source

Comment

MLB and NBA seem to be moving forward. Both offer affordable platforms to watch every game that are available from several outlets on several formats. Their apps are fantastic, and they both seem to make an effort to push out interesting content, especially MLB. Plus that jersey exchange program the NBA has for players who leave teams is one of the best gimmicks I’ve ever seen.

The NFL seems to be content to keep their approach the same with having all the games for solely through DTV, while having fans pay a premium for highlights and games that already aired. Rather than adjust the way they measure success, they’re trying to dumb the game down and make it more “exciting.”
              Last edited by BigSlizz; 11-21-2018, 02:11 PM.
              -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Working...
              X