WTF is wrong with people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is wrong with people?

In my opinion, Freedom means freedom to speak what ever language you want with your family and friends when you are paying for a dinner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...=.be152203f1ee
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Obviously she would have reacted the same if the people had been speaking German.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
      Obviously she would have reacted the same if the people had been speaking German.
      If I didn't laugh, I would cry. I thought we had "Freedom of Speech" here in the US.
      --------

Comment

We did have "Freedom of Choice" though.

I was single digits old when this came out. Probably around the same age as the kids in the ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNAKRglg1JM
        --------

Comment

That sounds like 98% of the population out here in Western Pa

Comment

Here's the really fucked up thing. It appears the Spanish speaking family were just having a meal together.

Minding their own business. This asshole just decided to interject herself into things. Correct me if I am mistaken.
            --------

Comment

Hey, remember that time we met up at a bar in Madrid that night when a protest march passed by?

We were speaking English but could have been speaking Spanish. I believe the waitress didn't care what language we were speaking. Nor did anyone else there.
              --------

Comment

I worry about this all the time with my gf. She's a Spanish speaker, as is her daughter and parents, and 99% of the time will speak Spanish to them just b/c it natural (and her parents don't speak English). With her daughter, she could speak either language, but usually her daughter reverts to Spanish b/c she's shy. It shouldn't bother anyone, but I'm sure it does. Luckily I haven't had to unleash holy hell to anyone, but its something that I could see happening. No different than so many diasporas internationally or here in the United States, the newcomers always get the brunt of blame for problems if they are coming in large numbers, but I feel like a certain person is fanning those flames in a major way.

Comment

I see this regularly...

....I work with a lot of people from Central America on a daily basis. A lot of hate out there and is doesn’t matter race, sex, religion, or nationality.

The ignorance and intolerance is endless.
                  Last edited by Raptor; 10-24-2018, 09:38 AM.
                  "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                    Hey, remember that time we met up at a bar in Madrid that night when a protest march passed by?

We were speaking English but could have been speaking Spanish. I believe the waitress didn't care what language we were speaking. Nor did anyone else there.
                    That was great. Oddly enough, that was also after a bad loss to the Panthers.

I find being able to switch languages with my gf pretty useful in case we don't want to be understood. Luckily I live in an area where no one would ever be annoyed by this.
                    Last edited by art vandelay; 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

That was great. Oddly enough, that was also after a bad loss to the Panthers.

I find being able to switch languages with my gf pretty useful in case we don't want to be understood. Luckily I live in an area where no one would ever be annoyed by this.
                      Are you in Europe? Don't know if these areas even exist in the US!

Comment

Originally posted by udontknowme View Post
                        Are you in Europe? Don't know if these areas even exist in the US!
                        I'm in Boston. Maybe in western Mass I'd run into some problems. But the Boston/Cambridge area is um...immigrant friendly to say the least lol.

I don't wanna derail this discussion too much, but since my gf and I are white, I don't think we'd run into problems unless we were really in BFE.

Comment

What baffles me is how these folks consider themselves Christian

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                          ....I work with a lot of people from Central America on a daily basis. A lot of hate out there and is doesn’t matter race, sex, religion, or nationality.

The ignorance and intolerance is endless.
                          Fact is there are a whole lot more Spanish speaking Christians in the world than white English speaking ones. I just don't understand how they believe God is only with the white folk, I don't remember Jesus saying anything about that, and he did not say 'hate those who are different.' Trouble is people think that what they 'believe' is the truth, even when it does not align with the facts. That kind of ignorance is dangerous and we are seeing people show it publicly more often over the last couple of years, even though it backfires and usually costs them their jobs and any credibility they may have had. To me, this upcoming election is a referendum on stupidity, are there enough Americans fed up with the politics of fear and hatred to oust the ones who instigated this, or let them continue to tear us apart?
                          The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Comment

Fear and stupidity seem to be universal these days. I think they wiggled in when civility slipped out through the back door.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                              Fact is there are a whole lot more Spanish speaking Christians in the world than white English speaking ones. I just don't understand how they believe God is only with the white folk, I don't remember Jesus saying anything about that, and he did not say 'hate those who are different.' Trouble is people think that what they 'believe' is the truth, even when it does not align with the facts. That kind of ignorance is dangerous and we are seeing people show it publicly more often over the last couple of years, even though it backfires and usually costs them their jobs and any credibility they may have had. To me, this upcoming election is a referendum on stupidity, are there enough Americans fed up with the politics of fear and hatred to oust the ones who instigated this, or let them continue to tear us apart?
                              Your statements describes a self-fulfilling prophecy where you predict a known truth to come true then identify you own self-serving cause. When in fact civility has been in the decline for a long time. I happen to think that with the popularity of social media where it permits someone to be critical without being face to face leads to the decrease in civility. Also social media allows false truths and outright lies to be portrayed as facts so if you want to believe something to can find supporting evidence.

To identify the current political climate as the cause and not the result is not seeing the real problem and therefore never finding any real solutions. We don't really know if there is an increase in these types of behaviors or just with the access to video and social media we get to see more. Regardless this country is full of an overwhelming majority of good non-bigoted people who get dismissed because they are not the cause or root of anger. Here is just one report on civility from 2010?

https://www.webershandwick.com/uploa...plications.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X