Donovan Mcnabb in hindsight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
    I agree. That's why I say he's in a separate category. Saint him. Give him free lemonade for life, give him money for a church, but unless he does it three more times...
    yeah, don't know why i replied directly to you.

Yes, if he wins 3 more super bowls then i have zero issue with him having his number retired. Right now though...he's Jeff Hostetler.
    “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

or Marty Bystrom

Originally posted by nerd View Post
      yeah, don't know why i replied directly to you.

Yes, if he wins 3 more super bowls then i have zero issue with him having his number retired. Right now though...he's Jeff Hostetler.
      sort of.
      DB

Comment

I'm with Slag. McNabb is, at present, the best QB in team history. He is also, perhaps, the best black QB of all time (Moon or Wilson might have/end up with better cases) and certainly of his era.

He also is 23rd all time in passing yards and in the top 10 in career rushing yards by a qb. I don't think he quite hits the Mark for the hall of fame, but he deserves to be in the conversation.

Comment

those dog toys didn't chase themselves

Comment

i agree with this. i just think jersey retirement is reserved for transcendent players. mcnabb needed to either a) extended his greatness by 4-5 years, or b) win a title to make the HOF. he did neither, he's in the hall of very good, and therefore i don't think deserves the retirement.

i expect wentz to be the best QB in franchise history. i expect foles to enjoy legend status for the rest of his life, for people to cry when they meet him, and for buildings to be named after him, but unless something unforeseen happens, he's the hero who won an SB with house money. it's not worth retiring him number, but it's unique.
            Last edited by art vandelay; 07-06-2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
              i agree with this. i just think jersey retirement is reserved for transcendent players. mcnabb needed to either a) extended his greatness by 4-5 years, or b) win a title to make the HOF. he did neither, he's in the hall of very good, and therefore i don't think deserves the retirement.

i expect wentz to be the best QB in franchise history. i expect foles to enjoy legend status for the rest of his life, for people to cry when they meet him, and for buildings to be named after him, but unless something unforeseen happens, he's the hero who won an SB with house money. it's not worth retiring him number, but it's unique.
              An HOF player definitely deserves jersey number retired consideration, IMO

On that basis....

McNabb OUT, Dawkins IN!
              --------
              "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I agree with your points, but I despise him. That “running QB” thing was totally selfish and likely costly in terms of wins. While I ultimately blame FatFuck for botching the MeO debacle, McNabb didn’t have the sense to try to make things work.
                WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

Comment

If the question is, should his number be retired? I think I'm with Slag on yes. Consider them:

5 Donovan McNabb QB 1999–2009
                  15 Steve Van Buren HB 1944–1951
                  20 Brian Dawkins S 1996–2008

40 Tom Brookshier CB 1953–1961
                  44 Pete Retzlaff RB, WR, TE 1956–1966
                  60 Chuck Bednarik LB, C 1949–1962
                  70 Al Wistert OT 1943–1951
                  92 Reggie White(*) DE 1985–1992

99 Jerome Brown(*) DT 1987–1991

Curiously, only 5 (of 9) are in the HoF (or about to be in like Dawkins) and Cunningham is defacto retired.

There's only 1 Super Bowl Era QB on the list - it seems reasonable to retire the best (and one of the best of his Era) QBs' numbers in the last 50 years.

I'm fine with it. 5 is a douche but if he wasn't in, I wouldn't be that upset either.
                  Last edited by JuTMSY4; 07-06-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Actually, McNabb didn't lose those games on his own.

How many games did JJ's defense underperform? Every big playoff game except the Carolina NFCCG. They had leads in ALL of the NFCCG games (although not big leads) except Carolina and Arizona and against the Cards they came back to lead only for the defense to let Warner go on a 75 yard TD drive.

Comment

• Jerome Brown

Tom Brookshire

Al Wistert
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

• I didn't see this until after I posted the non-HOF guys in response to IE.

Like you, I wouldn't be howling for him to have his number retired if it wasn't ... but I don't have a problem with them doing it.

He put up the best numbers of any Eagle QB to date, during what is the most successful stretch of Eagle football since 1960 ... the fact that they didn't win it all is on him to the degree chronicled here, but he's not the only culprit and was a big reason they were legit contenders during that time.
                        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

• Everyone of those NFC championship losses was a total team effort. That is definitely true.

Comment

• Which reminds me I was listening to sports radio up here today and they had an NFL writer from Kansas City on today (they have a hardon for Mahomes up here because the Bills didn’t draft him and they desperately want him to fail). What’s amazing is how much they still believe in Reid there. What will it take for them to see the light?

Comment

• Originally posted by RSE View Post
                              Everyone of those NFC championship losses was a total team effort. That is definitely true.
                              I blame Reid (FF) much more for those losses than I blame McNabb.

Having said that, McNabb always seemed like a coddled soup salesman to me.
                              --------

Comment

• Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                                If the question is, should his number be retired? I think I'm with Slag on yes. Consider them:

5 Donovan McNabb QB 1999–2009
                                15 Steve Van Buren HB 1944–1951
                                20 Brian Dawkins S 1996–2008

40 Tom Brookshier CB 1953–1961
                                44 Pete Retzlaff RB, WR, TE 1956–1966
                                60 Chuck Bednarik LB, C 1949–1962
                                70 Al Wistert OT 1943–1951
                                92 Reggie White(*) DE 1985–1992

99 Jerome Brown(*) DT 1987–1991

Curiously, only 5 (of 9) are in the HoF (or about to be in like Dawkins) and Cunningham is defacto retired.

There's only 1 Super Bowl Era QB on the list - it seems reasonable to retire the best (and one of the best of his Era) QBs' numbers in the last 50 years.

I'm fine with it. 5 is a douche but if he wasn't in, I wouldn't be that upset either.
                                I think you have to factor in the douche factor. McNabb was nowhere near as big of a douche as Pete Rose, but I can't discount the douche factor.
                                --------

Comment

Working...
                                X