IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
rothdawg

rothdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The 2017 SB Champion Eagles RB Core

Going into the season was Darren Sproles (34), LeGarrette Blount (30), Corey Clement (UDFA) and Wendell Smallwood. No need to bellyache over missing out on dime-a-dozen players like Tevin Coleman.

I'm much more concerned about the offensive line and whether they can reestablish dominance. That's not a young core.
rothdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
bobbyuk

bobbyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

And when it came time for the playoffs, especially the Super Bowl, they shredded the opposition.
bobbyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
JuTMSY4

I don't want to say "the best part of the eagles super bowl" was dismissing the myth of the elite RB, but it certainly was a good part. It did not eliminate the need for a bruising RB though. They really missed a guy who could get you 1-3 yards when you really needed that.
JuTMSY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
dev_32

Couldn't agree more. When was the last time a Super Bowl was won by a team with a "main back" ? 2014 Seahawks? The front lines are what matter ....
dev_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:26 AM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "I don't want to say "the best part of..."
rothdawg

Agreed. And that bruising RB we had in 2017 was signed in May on a one year incentive laced deal.
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
BigSlizz
2014 IGGLEPHANS SUICIDE POOL CHAMPION

BigSlizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Outside of Sproles, Ajayi has elite potential and Clement has made some big catches.

IMO, there could be a completely new list of names at RB and production wouldn't be much different than last season. That's unrealistic. At least a couple of the current RBs will be back.
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:46 AM  
Posted in reply to rothdawg's post starting "Agreed. And that bruising RB we had in..."
TRENT

TRENT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fine on draft weekend

trade detroit a 7th in 2020 for Blount....then Ill feel better about the Rb situation.
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:47 AM  
Posted in reply to BigSlizz's post starting "Outside of Sproles, Ajayi has elite..."
rothdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlizz View Post
Outside of Sproles, Ajayi has elite potential and Clement has made some big catches.

IMO, there could be a completely new list of names at RB and production wouldn't be much different than last season. That's unrealistic. At least a couple of the current RBs will be back.
Agreed. At least two of the RBs from last year will be back.
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:57 AM  
Posted in reply to TRENT's post "Fine on draft weekend"
BigSlizz

Would you feel better spending a 7th on Blount, or a 2nd on Montgomery, who could potentially turn into McCoy?

Granted, they could do both, but let's assume it's one or the other.
Unread 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM  
Posted in reply to BigSlizz's post starting "Would you feel better spending a 7th on..."
Snakebitten

Isn't Blount a free agent?
Snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 10:21 AM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "Isn't Blount a free agent?"
BigSlizz

So he is! This post lead me to think that he had a two year deal, and wasn't cut.

Shows what I get for trusting Trent's football knowledge.
Unread 03-14-2019, 10:27 AM  
Posted in reply to rothdawg's post starting "Agreed. At least two of the RBs from..."
headknocker

I'm probably in the minority but I don't want Sproles back. I admire and respect the guy for everything he's done in this league over his long career but I feel Father Time has caught up to him...time to hang up his cleats. That being said, Doug seems to still absolutely love him based on last year's play-calling when he was able to play.

I'm still not sold on Adams as he takes forever to get up to speed and I still have that horrific fumble(against Houston?) stuck in my memory bank. I like what I saw from Smallwood last season to be part of this season's RBBC.
headknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 11:23 AM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "Isn't Blount a free agent?"
TRENT

TRENT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default he is,,

I genuinely thought he signed a 2 years deal ,,was 1 year deal for 2 mill...so no picks needed,,,see if he wants to come back to Philly...Id be fine with that.
Unread 03-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the premise of this post, but it's a concern that Coleman would have been an improvement over what they have. I don't think that they even had an average, run for what you block him RB for most of last season. IMO the RBs (and Wentz) made the OL look a lot worse than they were.

I'm not too upset about missing out on Coleman, but I think Ingram would have been a nice addition. My preference would have been to add Ingram and a 2nd rounder. Now it looks like they'll go Ajayi and a 2nd rounder, plus two of Clement/Smallwood/Adams/Sproles.

-Dominic Rhodes
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #15
udontknowme

I struggle nailing down the value of a good rb vs a core of avg rbs that have specialties.

I think its pretty obvious a great RB is a huge difference for a team, but even the same guy year to year or even game to game (Todd Gurley) is impossible to judge as to whether they fit in that category. I also think we've been relatively spoiled with guys like McCoy and Westbrook over the last 20 years to forget that having a bad corp like say the Jets in the last few years can be a huge negative.
udontknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 05:15 PM  
Posted in reply to udontknowme's post starting "I struggle nailing down the value of a..."
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer the latter, but the former can work under the right circumstances. RB is generally the most replaceable position on offense, and dependent upon other positions, so it's often not worth a big investment. But there are exceptions. The Pats have won 4 of their 6 SBs with a feature back, most recently with a rookie first round pick. In 04 they did it with a 30 year old for whom they gave up a 2nd round pick. Reaching on an RB can be a really bad move, but there's nothing wrong with having a feature back.

-Dominic Rhodes

Last edited by art vandelay; 03-14-2019 at 05:16 PM.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote