IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 01-07-2019, 02:23 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "Because heís in NY?"
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

Because he won two SB MVPs. With that on the resume, you only need an average regular season career. Eli had that. Terrell Davis made the HOF based on his postseason play as did Kurt Warner (while winning fewer SBs than Eli).

Eli would make the HOF regardless of his team. The NY media bias/Manning name only makes it more certain.

-Dominic Rhodes
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "Because he won two SB MVPs. With that..."
Drama Queen

Drama Queen is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair enough
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2019, 02:31 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "Fair enough"
art vandelay
de Madrid

BTW, not trying to be snarky or anything. I just think Eli is a lock based on his resume and what the HOF voters look for.

-Dominic Rhodes
Unread 01-07-2019, 02:43 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "BTW, not trying to be snarky or..."
Drama Queen

Honestly, I think the HOF gets it wrong a lot. Iím all for some type of NFL committee voting in players.
Unread 01-07-2019, 02:54 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "BTW, not trying to be snarky or..."
Bardy

Eli will likely get into the HOF because he played in NY and he got two SB MVP's. That said, he doesn't deserve it. In my opinion, a HOF QB should have at least been considered one of the 5 or so best QB's of his own era. A HOF QB should have won one or at the very least been in the top 5 in several years of MVP voting. Eli has never been the best QB in the NFL for even one season in his career.

In his own era, his brother, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers all clearly have HOF resumes. I'd probably slot him above Rivers and Flacco.

In my opinion, you win Super Bowl MVP's for being the best QB in a playoff run. You get to the HOF for being one of the best QB's of all time. He's isn't one of the best of his time let alone all time. If you remove the two great Super Bowl runs, his playoff record is atrocious. He has QB'd some of the worst Giants teams of all time. He has a ridiculous number of INT's. I could go on and on.

Will he get in - probably. Should he? No way.
Unread 01-07-2019, 02:57 PM  
Posted in reply to Bardy's post starting "Eli will likely get into the HOF..."
McCarthy12

McCarthy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

100%
Unread 01-07-2019, 02:58 PM  
slag

slag is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you think I asked the question? EDITED TO ADD: It wasn't because I really give a shit about the Slack Jawed Yokel's HOF prospects.

Last edited by slag; 01-07-2019 at 03:04 PM.
slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #28
Maniac

Maniac is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...this-offseason
Unread 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM  
Drama Queen

Agree. The SB puts him above Rivers in most minds. Rivers had the better career. Iím not a fan of the HOF process.

Michael Irving? Chris Carter? Kurt Warner?

Their media presence got them over the hump via politics.
Unread 01-07-2019, 03:12 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "Agree. The SB puts him above Rivers in..."
IronEagle
El-Correctomundo

IronEagle is an unknown quantity at this point

As much as I hate him, I think Eli gets in the HOF for two factors.

1: He won two SBs and was MVP in both of them.

2: His durability. He hasn't missed many snaps due to injury. I think the only time I really saw him get nailed was by Jerome McDougle.
Unread 01-07-2019, 03:13 PM  
Posted in reply to BigSlizz's post starting "Honestly, my thought is you put BOTH on..."
Drama Queen

I say put both on the market. Whoever garners the most compensation as a consensus, you keep. It’s a good measuring stick to find out who is the most valuable going forward.

Who do you think will garner the most compensation?

Last edited by Drama Queen; 01-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Unread 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #32
IronEagle
El-Correctomundo

IronEagle is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a major Foles fan.

From the snow game against Detroit to the Super Bowl MVP performance, he will always be one of my favorite Eagles of all time.

I also like the way he came back to Philadelphia after being traded by that Chump Kelly to the Rams. He likes our city and will always give us his best effort.

None of what I wrote above is a disrespect on Carson Wentz. We will see what happens.
Unread 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM  
Posted in reply to IronEagle's post starting "As much as I hate him, I think Eli gets..."
Drama Queen

Durability is a valid consideration.

I liken it to this though: if I was a GM and could go back to 2004, knowing what I know of Eli and Riversí career, who would I draft today and build a team around? SKind of start fresh again with a new slate to build a team around.

Iíll take Rivers and bank on the idea that I could build a team around him based off of his skills and intangibles and have more success.

Thereís a lot of QBs I would take over Eli.

Michael Irvin? Thereís an endless supply of WRís I would take over him.
Unread 01-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #34
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlizz View Post
Who do you want to be the QB next year?
Wentz is the future of this team. MVP before getting hurt.
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2019, 07:28 PM  
Posted in reply to IronEagle's post starting "I'm a major Foles fan. From the..."
Drama Queen

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle View Post
I'm a major Foles fan.

From the snow game against Detroit to the Super Bowl MVP performance, he will always be one of my favorite Eagles of all time.

I also like the way he came back to Philadelphia after being traded by that Chump Kelly to the Rams. He likes our city and will always give us his best effort.

None of what I wrote above is a disrespect on Carson Wentz. We will see what happens.
Iím a major Foles and Wentz fan. Negatiive division-driven agendas I find unnecessary and slightly dickish. (and Iíve never been dickish... I know what people are thinking so letís just nip that right here! Right now!)
Unread 01-07-2019, 08:54 PM  
Posted in reply to thegodfather's post starting "Wentz is the future of this team. MVP..."
BigSlizz
2014 IGGLEPHANS SUICIDE POOL CHAMPION

BigSlizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Before getting hurt in an OT loss to the Cowboys?
Unread 01-08-2019, 10:20 AM  
Phoward12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardy View Post
Eli will likely get into the HOF because he played in NY and he got two SB MVP's. That said, he doesn't deserve it. In my opinion, a HOF QB should have at least been considered one of the 5 or so best QB's of his own era. A HOF QB should have won one or at the very least been in the top 5 in several years of MVP voting. Eli has never been the best QB in the NFL for even one season in his career.

In his own era, his brother, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers all clearly have HOF resumes. I'd probably slot him above Rivers and Flacco.

In my opinion, you win Super Bowl MVP's for being the best QB in a playoff run. You get to the HOF for being one of the best QB's of all time. He's isn't one of the best of his time let alone all time. If you remove the two great Super Bowl runs, his playoff record is atrocious. He has QB'd some of the worst Giants teams of all time. He has a ridiculous number of INT's. I could go on and on.

Will he get in - probably. Should he? No way.

Following this line of thinking, how do you feel about Terry Bradshaw? He was before my time and I know the game was different back then, but if you ignore the four Super Bowls (big ignore, I know) his TD-INT ratio, completion percentage, YPG, YPA, all the metrics used to evaluate quarterbacks, all his numbers are awful.

Where did he rank in his era, in terms of being a Top 5 QB or not?
Unread 01-08-2019, 10:30 AM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "I think we are only one more win away..."
art vandelay
de Madrid

After Wentz went down, I thought that winning out, making the playoffs, and a good game from Foles in the WC round would make this a legitimate question.

Foles didn't have the best game but man was he clutch. I don't know if we win that game with 2018 Wentz. But I don't think Foles's performance changed this team's mind about their future. They obviously think that they can do more with Wentz than Foles, and expect Wentz to regain his 2017 form. And Wentz playing at his 2017 level probably wins that game without any drama.

Now if Foles manages to beat the Saints...at that point I would trade Wentz for an outrageous offer (multiple firsts, a second/a good player), but I still don't think the FO sees things that way.

-Dominic Rhodes
Unread 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "After Wentz went down, I thought that..."
EaglesphaninMD

EaglesphaninMD is on a distinguished road

If Foles gets Birds back into NFCCC, Eagles should trade Wentz for first round picks, targeting the year that Clemson's QB comes out.

If Foles wins NFCCC, plan to keep him as QB for next 5 years.
EaglesphaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2019, 10:47 AM  
Posted in reply to Phoward12's post starting "Following this line of thinking, how do..."
Drama Queen

Default Youíre right. It was very different back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoward12 View Post
Following this line of thinking, how do you feel about Terry Bradshaw? He was before my time and I know the game was different back then, but if you ignore the four Super Bowls (big ignore, I know) his TD-INT ratio, completion percentage, YPG, YPA, all the metrics used to evaluate quarterbacks, all his numbers are awful.

Where did he rank in his era, in terms of being a Top 5 QB or not?
A better measure is to compare the QB with his contemporaries.

Bradshaw was voted on the NFL 1970ís all decade team, which puts him easily in the top 5, if not top 2-3. He scored 32 rushing TDís and had a cannon arm. I saw both play and the only similarity is that both were prone to being boneheads. Bradshaw was a serious gamer though and called all of his own plays.

I get your point about the stats comparison but that needs to be done in relation to contemporaries. And while we are talking Bradshaw, Iíve never seen a tougher QB play. He took a lot of hits and I remember a play befor a half that he ran for 60+ yards and must have ran over 5 people. That play is still in my mind.