Sixers just beat arguably the NBA's best team on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sixers just beat arguably the NBA's best team on the road

This is why all of the bitching and moaning earlier this month when they were without Embiid and had a couple of subpar games against mediocre teams was a waste of energy.

Now that Embiid is back and the four stars are finally getting some floor time together, you can see the potential.

This team has as good a shot as any team in the East to make it to the NBA Finals this year.
    Last edited by 06hawkalum; 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM.

The regular season matters now?

Comment

Only so you don’t have a 4/5 opening match up with Celtics. Brad Stevens is Brett Brown’s daddy.

06hawk is getting awfully worked up over one win, obstensibly doing same thing as the moaners he was calling out..
      I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Great win. I won't dispute that people have whined too much over regular season losses over the past two years.

It is true, however, that they have a disturbing tendency to blow leads and play bad situational basketball late in games. One loss by itself doesn't matter much, but it would be unacceptable for this team not to surpass the Pacers without Oladipo, and then lose to Boston as they always do.

If they lose to Toronto or Milwaukee I won't call for anyone's head, but your second paragraph explains why people get so upset. They have very high potential. If they lose to one those teams because their 4th quarter woes carry over into the postseason, it will be very frustrating.

Comment

I agree. I expect leads to be blown because it's the NBA, but their habit of giving way to furious comebacks in the last 3 or so minutes is troubling. That's on Brown and they can't afford to have it happen in the playoffs even once.

If I'm ownership, given the landscape in the East, they need to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. I think anything else would be a pretty big disappointment and should lead to them thinking long and hard as to whether Brown is the guy to carry the ball over the goal line. Fair or not, the window is open and won't be open forever.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
            I agree. I expect leads to be blown because it's the NBA, but their habit of giving way to furious comebacks in the last 3 or so minutes is troubling. That's on Brown and they can't afford to have it happen in the playoffs even once.

If I'm ownership, given the landscape in the East, they need to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. I think anything else would be a pretty big disappointment and should lead to them thinking long and hard as to whether Brown is the guy to carry the ball over the goal line. Fair or not, the window is open and won't be open forever.
            it's on the players too. They do some really dumb shit at the end of games. Brown can only tell them so much. "hey, maybe take care of the ball"...Simmons throws the ball to the other team, "clearly that was brett brown's fault."

I have some issues with Brett (second half adjustments) but the players make some really dumb decisions.
            “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

For sure. Like not covering the pick and roll against Chicago.

But in those scenarios, there typically comes a time where I'm screaming for a timeout and it never gets called. Slow the game down and draw up a play. Get an easy bucket. Basketball is such a game of momentum and Brown just seems a little slow on the draw sometimes.
              "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

It's seems most NBA coaches are averse to calling timeouts during those situations. I think coaches fear players will interpret that to mean that they don't trust them and it, after all, a players first league. If you lose the support of your players, you lose your job.

Comment

This is Philly, we don't put up with the same stupid fucking mistakes over and over again. Let's see if these issues are fixed when it really matters....

Comment

Originally posted by nerd View Post
                    it's on the players too. They do some really dumb shit at the end of games. Brown can only tell them so much. "hey, maybe take care of the ball"...Simmons throws the ball to the other team, "clearly that was brett brown's fault."

I have some issues with Brett (second half adjustments) but the players make some really dumb decisions.
                    Simmons is #1 on this list for me. He is the king of the lazy or fancy pass in the fourth when all they need to do is bleed clock. Brown has at least adjusted and put the ball in Butler's hands more of late.

Comment

That inbounds pass yesterday at the end of the game that lopez almost stole.... I've actually appreciated Simmons more lately I just wish he'd look for his shot more.

Comment

Working...
                      X