No announcement yet.

RIP John McCain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost all respect for him in 1989, probably few here will remember?

Comment

Well dat's the point in'it?

Ugga was well fulla shit but he still won an' got all da muff, din' e?

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
        in the SC primary but it was longer than ten years ago. Against Obama I always remember that Town Hall where he tried to keep a civil tone when some woman said Obama was an Arab or a foreigner or something. Class act.
        Bush Was a terrible President, but you know that’s not who I’m talking about. The articles about Bush were the same as McCain.
        It IS About Me Asshole
        -----------------------
        Fuck off, moron. - Kelly Green

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
          ?

are you implying that this is how the media labels any republican candidate? that was never the narrative on mccain, at all.
          Well if I had a jump to conclusion mat that option would be on there.

Google John McCain unfit 2008 and John McCain racist 2008 and check out the narrative.
          It IS About Me Asshole
          -----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
            I don't remember that. I remember it being 4 more years of Bush versus Change. That was one of the most civil elections I can remember (admitting that I can only truly remember starting with Clinton versus Dole).
            See my reply to Art. A simple google search shows what was said about McCain back then. I don’t like defending him because of the war mongering and the Wall Street payoffs but the outpouring of appreciation is strange considering what was said about him before.
            It IS About Me Asshole
            -----------------------

Comment

I remember a big deal about him correcting people who said Obama wasn't an American. I think political games were played (McCain talks a lot about that in his book), but overall it was pretty civil. I don't think at any point during that election I felt McCain was a bad guy. I didn't vote for him partly because of his policy on Iraq, but I didn't feel he was a war monger.
              -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

You might not be a blind zealot who divides the world into two halves

Originally posted by tjl88 View Post
                Bush Was a terrible President, but you know that’s not who I’m talking about. The articles about Bush were the same as McCain.
                But you sure sound that way.
                DB

Comment

I remember a big deal about him correcting people who said Obama wasn't an American. I think political games were played (McCain talks a lot about that in his book), but overall it was pretty civil. I don't think at any point during that election I felt McCain was a bad guy. I didn't vote for him partly because of his policy on Iraq, but I didn't feel he was a war monger.
                  He corrected someone saying Obama was Arab, once I can remember.

Iraq, Syria, he was part of the military complex.

I’m not talking a campaign calling him racist and unfit. I’m talking about articles and tv pundits. It’s curious why the narrative changed.
                  It IS About Me Asshole
                  -----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by thegodfather View Post
                    So is Obama, I read some of the stuff he said about him, terrible.
                    McCain explicitly banned Trump from his funeral. He wanted Obama to give his eulogy. Get it, Trumptard?
                    Last edited by Maniac; 08-27-2018, 12:06 AM.
                    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

McCain regretted picking Palin. She definitely paved the way for the orange moron.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...g-reasons.html
                      Last edited by Maniac; 08-27-2018, 12:06 AM.
                      Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Explain how Sarah Palin had anything to do with Donald Trump getting elected.

Seriously, you weren't aware of the demographic that elected him before her?

EDITED TO ADD: Which is beside the point that McCain's regret about picking her as his running mate may be the most "really? no shit" moment in recent Presidential politics.
                        Last edited by slag; 08-27-2018, 07:01 AM.
                        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I was always a fan. Even when I didn’t agree with him, you could tell he was doing what he truly believed was best for the country.
                          That's been my takeaway about the guy. Aside from all the mudslinging noise, he did seem like the kind to follow his conscience, rather than toe the party line. Overall he was intelligent, well spoken, and considerate. With a populace that now feeds on media sound bites, tweeted half truths, and outright nasty name calling, I can see how he drifted out of favor.

Comment

pretty much my sentiments as well

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
                            That's been my takeaway about the guy. Aside from all the mudslinging noise, he did seem like the kind to follow his conscience, rather than toe the party line. Overall he was intelligent, well spoken, and considerate. With a populace that now feeds on media sound bites, tweeted half truths, and outright nasty name calling, I can see how he drifted out of favor.
                            Fallible at times, but seemed to try to do what he thought was right.
                            Last edited by JuTMSY4; 08-27-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I agree with Maniac

Originally posted by slag View Post
                              Explain how Sarah Palin had anything to do with Donald Trump getting elected.

Seriously, you weren't aware of the demographic that elected him before her?

EDITED TO ADD: Which is beside the point that McCain's regret about picking her as his running mate may be the most "really? no shit" moment in recent Presidential politics.
                              And I agree with you. To your point, there have always been personal attacks on opposing politicians. Always. And the VP slot was always the place where the tougher attacks originated. Bob Dole, for example, Richard Nixon before him.

But I also agree with Maniac in that in the time of Palin we started to see a sycophantic bleating that was made possible by mass media exposure. Both a deification of Palin and a demonization of Palin by the appropriate sides that was taken direct to the population. In former times, all this was filtered by the media who then gave it to the people.

She began to "ride the whirlwind," in which she was empowered by the love from one side and equally as empowered by the hate. This spiral of attention was like an opiate for her, and for her haters and lovers.

That's what we've got today, another person more adept at riding the whirlwind and whipping both "sides" up into a frenzy.

The only antidote for all this frenzy is civility, imho. We as a country are smarter than being manipulated by politicians who use their media outlets as mouthpieces and as whipping boys. The world isn't as simple as these nutcases want us to believe. One side is evil. One side is saint. That's total bullshit.

We are all smarter than that.
                              DB

Comment

It could be...

Originally posted by tjl88 View Post
                                He corrected someone saying Obama was Arab, once I can remember.

Iraq, Syria, he was part of the military complex.

I’m not talking a campaign calling him racist and unfit. I’m talking about articles and tv pundits. It’s curious why the narrative changed.
                                ...because it was never a dominating narrative and therefore it didn't have to change. I never really heard it as a "thing." Some idiots on the left tried to smear him, but it was never a mainstream thing. John Lewis for example is a cynical politician who plays games with his constituency for his own purposes. But as slag so adeptly points out, who doesn't? You want this to be a "narrative" because you want to make some MSM bias point that serves your world view. Right wing snowflakism. Kind of like watching Jim Boeheim scream about officiating in a Syracuse game. Amusing, but useless.
                                DB

Comment

Working...
                                X