No announcement yet.

Nick news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explain to me again how Foles getting tagged makes him more appealing to a trade partner, since foles the eagles and the jaguars are all in cahoots? Why would they tag him? Why wouldn't they just trade him and let Jacksonville rework his deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
      Explain to me again how Foles getting tagged makes him more appealing to a trade partner, since foles the eagles and the jaguars are all in cahoots? Why would they tag him? Why wouldn't they just trade him and let Jacksonville rework his deal?
      It doesn't. It increases the baseline for contract talks by $5M. It's not ideal, especially for the Eagles, but they're putting it out there (via Schefter) to make it clear that Foles isn't going to be "free" for anyone.

The ideal scenario is to work out a deal in the five day window between the time the Eagles exercise the option and when Foles has to buy his way out of it.
      Last edited by The Duck; 02-03-2019, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Edited to add, I think they are doing it so early as a favor to nick.
        What's the benefit to Foles of doing it now, rather than the 13th?

Comment

So he can decline his side and become a free agent... Maybe get a jump on things..
          Last edited by Greenstealth; 02-03-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

So he can decline his side and become a free agent... Maybe get a jump on things..
            It’d be tampering if another team talked to him before the league year, so there’s really not much he can do with the extra 11 days (if it did happen today). He can start packing, but they’re probably doing that anyway.

Edit: it’s eight days, if the option was exercised today. They have until the 10th.
            Last edited by The Duck; 02-03-2019, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Everyone is rightfully concerned about not receiving a compensation pick if the Eagles resind the franchise tag.

I think the Eagles have a great relationship with Foles. The Eagles have honored Foles financially and Foles will honor the Eagles desire for compensation. Therefore, the Eagles can say they’ll franchise him with conviction, but they also know it won’t come down to that. Foles won’t force the Eagles to nuke themselves with the franchise tag. The tag may be a part of the process before a trade takes affect, though.

Comment

Yes it would

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                It’d be tampering if another team talked to him before the league year, so there’s really not much he can do with the extra 11 days (if it did happen today). He can start packing, but they’re probably doing that anyway.

I'm pretty sure the trade deadline came and went as well but I guess it's easier for people to think there's a backdoor trade in place than tampering going on ..
                Last edited by Greenstealth; 02-03-2019, 01:06 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the trade deadline came and went as well but I guess it's easier for people to think there's a backdoor trade in place than tampering going on ..
                  It’s not a backdoor trade, as much as it’d be a handshake deal to be made official on day one of the new league year. Kansas City and Washington did it last year, went public with it, everything was completely above board. Nobody was fined, sanctioned, or reprimanded for working out the details of the trade early.

Negotiating with another team’s player before he’s free, who’s eligible for the franchise tag, is entirely different and expressly against the rules. Not to mention, it would be totally out of character for Foles to involve himself in that kind of violation.

Comment

Good point I hadn't realized that. In my view I see the eagles more or less letting foles getting his house in order.

Comment

I don’t think I tried to explain it the first time.

Anyway, I’ll try to explain it now. The 2019 NFL year hasn’t started, therefore the Eagles can’t trade Foles before 3/18/19. However, the Eagles must control the rights to Foles before they can trade him after 3/18/19. Today, the Eagles exercised the option to retain Foles at $20m. Foles will decline this option rightfully knowing he can seek more as a starter. In an effort control the rights to Foles for 2019, the Eagles will franchise tag him.
                      Last edited by Drama Queen; 02-03-2019, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                        I don’t think I tried to explain it the first time.

Anyway, I’ll try to explain it now. The 2019 NFL year hasn’t started, therefore the Eagles can’t trade Foles before 3/18/19. However, the Eagles must control the rights to Foles before they can trade him after 3/18/19. Today, the Eagles exercised the option to retain Foles at $20m. Foles will decline this option rightfully knowing he can seek more as a starter. In an effort control the rights to Foles for 2019, the Eagles will franchise tag him.
                        You also said foles, the eagles and team x are all working together so that makes no fucking sense to franchise him does it?

Edited .. Forget it. I've gone as far as I want to with you. There's six teams all fighting each other for foles. The eagles and foles have narrowed down the best fit and that team is playing ball. As a matter of fact they are so happy they are volunteering another 5m because foles is a good dude. I'm on board.
                        Last edited by Greenstealth; 02-03-2019, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Good point I hadn't realized that. In my view I see the eagles more or less letting foles getting his house in order.
                          That’s fine, I understand the spirit of what you’re saying. But the reports of the Eagles’ intent to use the franchise tag from Schefter and McManus coming an hour after the option news just sounds like something’s up. We’ll see soon enough.

Comment

You sound frustrated.

I’ve read were the Eagles could actually trade him before the buyout by Nick. I didn’t know this was an option. I thought the trade deadline had passed for this NFL calander year.

So yeah, if this is indeed true, expect an announcement tomorrow before the SB that Foles has been traded to Jax.

Tomorrow is make a splash day.

EDIT TO ADD:

I just read an article that says Antonio Brown can not be traded before 3/13/19 which is the start of 2019 for the NFL. Therefore, how can Foles be traded prior to 3/13/19? The 2018 trade deadline ended on Oct.30th, 2018.

Therefore, I stand by my original statement: Foles will decline the $20m and pay back the Eagles $2m, the Eagles will franchise tag him at $25m. The Eagles are forced to do this to retain his rights before trading him on 3/13/19 or thereafter.

No fireworks tomorrow.
                            Last edited by Drama Queen; 02-03-2019, 02:46 AM.

Comment

I think if it's anyone it's Oakland, three number ones and chucky loves veteran Qb's
                              On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CbEagle View Post
                                I think if it's anyone it's Oakland, three number ones and chucky loves veteran Qb's
                                Going to the Toronto Argonauts CFL. A case of Labatts Blue and a case of bacon
                                Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Working...
                                X