Humor me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humor me

So the reason my user name is 1960 is because that was the last time they won the Championship. I was born eight months later and lived through the lean years as well as the ones where we hoped they were good enough but knew they weren’t. I joined the board in 2004 after having a near fatal heart attack at 43. The doctor said I needed a distraction so I found this board. Did not say much the first decade but having this forum at least made me feel like I was not alone.

I have not lived in Philadelphia since leaving for college in 1980 but like all of you it’s in my blood. Lived in the enemy territory in The New York area for 30 and even worse Dallas for 3. Every game was a road game but the board kept me sane. I almost embarrassed by home much this Championship has meant to me. I had to watch the game again because I blacked out the last few minutes like you do with PTSD. Thanks for the great ride and sorry for the long post but I had to share. Never thought I would get the chance.

Hello 1960, I’m Raptor

...a recovering Eagles fan and 22 Days Happy!!!!

World Champions!!!!!!
    "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
      ...a recovering Eagles fan and 22 Days Happy!!!!

World Champions!!!!!!

World Champions!!!!!

Just amazing.

Comment

I've lived in "upstate" NY for 35 years now. I'm patiently waiting for my midnight green championship flag to arrive so I can proudly hoist it high; deep in enemy territory.
        Will you shut up, man!

Joe Biden

Comment

Just pick whatever you want and be happy,

Eagles are Super Bowl Champions!
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

5 months later for me. Dad and Mon were there, so that explains my fanaticism. Have never lived anywhere but around the greater DelVal, though. Glad you are doing better!
            WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

Comment

This is actually a great post.

Originally posted by 1960 View Post
              So the reason my user name is 1960 is because that was the last time they won the Championship. I was born eight months later and lived through the lean years as well as the ones where we hoped they were good enough but knew they weren’t. I joined the board in 2004 after having a near fatal heart attack at 43. The doctor said I needed a distraction so I found this board. Did not say much the first decade but having this forum at least made me feel like I was not alone.

I have not lived in Philadelphia since leaving for college in 1980 but like all of you it’s in my blood. Lived in the enemy territory in The New York area for 30 and even worse Dallas for 3. Every game was a road game but the board kept me sane. I almost embarrassed by home much this Championship has meant to me. I had to watch the game again because I blacked out the last few minutes like you do with PTSD. Thanks for the great ride and sorry for the long post but I had to share. Never thought I would get the chance.
              During the parade and while talking to people, I keep telling myself that everyone has a story. It’s really been a life long journey for nearly all of us and the Eagles have been there the whole way.

I can relate to living outside of the area which for me has been since since 1989. Loyal fans like ourselves had to drive around finding the Eagles game at a bar. It wasn’t like bars had all of the games back then. It was often hit or miss, until you found a location or kissed the ass of a manger to show the game. During the off season, I use to drive 30 minutes every Sunday to read the Philly Inquirer at a bookstore for Eagles news. Football wasn't year around for many back then but it has always been for me. I changed addresses often enough that it wasn’t worth getting a subscription.

I remember where I was and my first search on the internet: Philadelphia Eagles. That’s how I found the Rivals board which later moved and morphed into this board: Igglephans.

I think this is why Championship is so emotional for many. There is a life story behind this. After the Kelly debacle I had serious reservations about every seeing a Championship and I think that’s partly why I’m milking this Lombardi. It’s going to last a while, a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                During the parade and while talking to people, I keep telling myself that everyone has a story. It’s really been a life long journey for nearly all of us and the Eagles have been there the whole way.

I can relate to living outside of the area which for me has been since since 1989. Loyal fans like ourselves had to drive around finding the Eagles game at a bar. It wasn’t like bars had all of the games back then. It was often hit or miss, until you found a location or kissed the ass of a manger to show the game. During the off season, I use to drive 30 minutes every Sunday to read the Philly Inquirer at a bookstore for Eagles news. Football wasn't year around for many back then but it has always been for me. I changed addresses often enough that it wasn’t worth getting a subscription.

I remember where I was and my first search on the internet: Philadelphia Eagles. That’s how I found the Rivals board which later moved and morphed into this board: Igglephans.

I think this is why Championship is so emotional for many. There is a life story behind this. After the Kelly debacle I had serious reservations about every seeing a Championship and I think that’s partly why I’m milking this Lombardi. It’s going to last a while, a long while.
                Driving to find the Inquirer...there was a newsstand in Times Square that sold out of town papers. You had to get there early on Mondays because they would sell out after the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post

I started hitting bars on gameday in South Florida with my fake ID at 18. Look for the big ol' C Band satellite dish. Finally found a regular spot, along with every other Eagles fan in Boca, and we had a beer soaked blast every Sunday.

Something about leaving Philly just brings you closer to the teams. They're that link to home that you cling to with everything you have, for the rest of your life.

This thing was so worth the wait. Super. Bowl. Champions. I say the words every damn day.

Comment

I’m starting to doubt this feeling ever goes away. A childhood friend ( on a group text) just now sent a pic of his new SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS phone case.

It’s like this everyday. And look at this board.

My bar morphed into an Eagles fan club of sorts.

Comment

"I almost embarrassed by home much this Championship has meant to me."

That is such a great line. I can totally relate to that.

Comment

Working...
                      X