IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 08-04-2018, 09:10 AM  
Posted in reply to dev_32's post "I loved BDawk's intensity"
Ellsworth

What a great time to start this (bogus) conversation.
Ellsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2018, 09:14 AM  
Posted in reply to Ellsworth's post starting "What a great time to start this (bogus)..."
slag

slag is an unknown quantity at this point

It is an interesting conversation to the extent that the difference between pissing on a player or canonizing him is often simply luck.

Scott Norwood is inside the right upright and nobody mentions Jeff Hostetler when talking about Nick Foles.

Julio Jones doesn't slip and Foles is still Fooles.

Quinton Demps makes a tackle on 4th down in Arizona and this thread maybe doesn't happen.
Unread 08-04-2018, 09:32 AM  
Posted in reply to slag's post starting "It is an interesting conversation to..."
Snakebitten

I truly believe the difference between Dawkins and McNabb is their personalities. If they switched them, the love and hate would flip, also. As far as what they did on the field, it was the 'McNabb era' not the 'Dawkins era'. It's nice that Dawkins got in but I agree with Dev here.
Snakebitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2018, 10:01 AM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I truly believe the difference between..."
slag

slag is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't disagree there ... however, another element is that quarterbacks get more credit, and take more shit, than they generally deserve.
Unread 08-04-2018, 10:19 AM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I truly believe the difference between..."
Greenstealth

That whole regime is painful to think about. Poor chief's fans
Greenstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM  
Posted in reply to slag's post starting "It is an interesting conversation to..."
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slag View Post
It is an interesting conversation to the extent that the difference between pissing on a player or canonizing him is often simply luck.

Scott Norwood is inside the right upright and nobody mentions Jeff Hostetler when talking about Nick Foles.

Julio Jones doesn't slip and Foles is still Fooles.

Quinton Demps makes a tackle on 4th down in Arizona and this thread maybe doesn't happen.
this. exactly.

-Dominic Rhodes
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2018, 02:04 PM  
broadstreetparade

broadstreetparade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebitten View Post
I truly believe the difference between Dawkins and McNabb is their personalities. If they switched them, the love and hate would flip, also. As far as what they did on the field, it was the 'McNabb era' not the 'Dawkins era'. It's nice that Dawkins got in but I agree with Dev here.
This is it exactly. Dawkins was one of us, Mcnabb smiled after he threw interceptions and threw up in the Super Bowl.

But Dawkins earned his spot in the HOF and its not because he we so loved by the fans.

I do think when Jenkins career is done here there will be discussion about who was the better player for the Eagles.

Last edited by broadstreetparade; 08-04-2018 at 02:08 PM.
broadstreetparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #28
art vandelay
de Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstreetparade View Post
This is it exactly. Dawkins was one of us, Mcnabb smiled after he threw interceptions and threw up in the Super Bowl.

But Dawkins earned his spot in the HOF and its not because he we so loved by the fans.

I do think when Jenkins career is done here there will be discussion about who was the better player for the Eagles.
man, i love jenkins, but there's just no comparison. dawkins was one of the greatest safeties of all time. there's not even going to be a conversation about jenkins going into the HOF.

i don't like the talk of a safety being clutch, even though i understand that he was the leader of the defense. do i believe that john lynch possessed some clutch gene that eluded dawk? hell no. if you're going to compare jenkins to dawk based on playing on an SB-winning team, you have to recognize the fact that the defense was absolutely torched in that victory.

dawkins was still playing at a high level in his 13th season. i don't think for a second that jenkins will still be here in 2021.

-Dominic Rhodes
Unread 08-04-2018, 02:53 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "man, i love jenkins, but there's just..."
broadstreetparade

broadstreetparade is on a distinguished road

I dont think its as far off as you think

Jenkins 9 seasons- 539 Tackles 16 Ints 6.5 Sacks 11 FF 6 TDs

Dawkins 16 season- 895 tackles 37 Ints 26 Sacks 4 FF 2 TDs

Dawkins was a pioneer at his position, Jim Johnson used him in ways that nobody had thought to use a safety at the time. Im not hating on Dawkins I just think there will be a conversation to be had for Jenkins but I suppose alot of that will depend on how long he ends up playing in Philly.
broadstreetparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #30
art vandelay
de Madrid

brian dawkins had 36 FF, not 4. i don't really think numbers tell the stories with safeties the way they do with offensive players, but the sacks and forced fumbles are probably more representative of how dawk played than the INTs. dawk had 2 first team all-pro seasons with only 2 INTs. his longevity was also part of what made him so great.

i'm not hating on jenkins i just don't think there will even be a conversation. it's almost like saying that brandon graham deserves a spot alongside reggie white. even with the strip-sack, it just doesn't make sense.

-Dominic Rhodes
Unread 08-05-2018, 12:05 AM  
Posted in reply to dev_32's post starting "I agree with this assertion. Love..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_32 View Post
I agree with this assertion. Love BDawk, but think he came up small in our big games. Arizona game is a GREAT example
These assertions are much easier to make now that the Eagles have won a Super Bowl.

There are Eagles who are winners and Eagles that failed to do so. That doesn't mean they aren't great, just not winners.