IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2019, 01:37 PM  
Posted in reply to DEERSPINE GUY's post starting "SO BECAUSE OF THAT ONE PLAY HE..."
#21
smg
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts:
smg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post
SO BECAUSE OF THAT ONE PLAY HE SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN IN. UUMM OK.
He had tons of interceptions and two more game ending int's as a Viking and Jet
smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
slag
 
slag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Enemy Territory
Posts:
slag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I beg to differ ... and you have not addressed the point ... ie. that an Eagle fan who IS already a McNabb hater is faced with not being a hater of all things Dallas, if that fan allows the hatred of McNabb to trump McNabb's piss on Aikman.

The opinion of a random fan (Eagle or otherwise) about McNabb's worthiness for the HOF is irrelevant to the point at hand.

Hating Dallas should be something that occurs in a vacuum for a true Eagle fan ... no?
__________________
Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Last edited by slag; 05-27-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
slag is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2019, 05:36 PM  
Posted in reply to slag's post starting "I beg to differ ... and you have not..."
#23
IronEagle
El-Correctomundo
 
IronEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: East Coast Elitist
Posts:
IronEagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slag View Post
I beg to differ ... and you have not addressed the point ... ie. that an Eagle fan who IS already a McNabb hater is faced with not being a hater of all things Dallas, if that fan allows the hatred of McNabb to trump McNabb's piss on Aikman.

The opinion of a random fan (Eagle or otherwise) about McNabb's worthiness for the HOF is irrelevant to the point at hand.

Hating Dallas should be something that occurs in a vacuum for a true Eagle fan ... no?
A few things about McNabb from my perspective:

He did throw a lot of balls into the ground. Wormburners. He may have been coached to do that... I don't know. He had a powerful arm.

As Kelly Green used to note he seemed to lack the ability to throw a pass with "touch". As much as I liked to disagree with KG, I really couldn't disagree with him there.

McNabb did manage to keep the INTs to a minimum but I can recall a few very costly ones.
__________________
--------
"We choose to go to the moon."
IronEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2019, 05:40 PM  
Posted in reply to IronEagle's post starting "A few things about McNabb from my..."
#24
smg
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts:
smg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle View Post
A few things about McNabb from my perspective:

He did throw a lot of balls into the ground. Wormburners. He may have been coached to do that... I don't know. He had a powerful arm.

As Kelly Green used to note he seemed to lack the ability to throw a pass with "touch". As much as I liked to disagree with KG, I really couldn't disagree with him there.

McNabb did manage to keep the INTs to a minimum but I can recall a few very costly ones.
and manage to win in the postseason
smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #25
BirdBrawn
 
BirdBrawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Over the hills and far away
Posts:
BirdBrawn
Default

Pandering.
BirdBrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM  
Posted in reply to IronEagle's post starting "I'm not advocating for Slackjawn, just..."
#26
Bardy
 
Bardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Joisey
Posts:
Bardy
Default Fuck Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle View Post
I'm not advocating for Slackjawn, just comparing him to McNabb.
I don't think McNabb deserves to get in, but I think his case is as good as Eli's.

I don't think Super Bowl rings or Single game MVPs should be the determining factor for HOF. In order to be in the HOF, you ought to be one of the best players at your position for a length of time during the era you played. AT least McNabb was in the MVP race and was the best QB in the league for a season.

In no season was Eli even in the conversation for League MVP. I'm not sure he was ever even a top 5 candidate. A QB not even being in the MVP race for a season tells me he wasn't one of the greatest of his peers. Eli's career outside of the two Super Bowl runs was unimpressive - and his numbers are due to longevity/health in a passing era. He is clearly a very good QB, but not a HOFer in my book

In Eli's era, he played with Peyton, Brady, Roethlisburger, Brees, Rogers just for starters. I put Eli in a group with Rivers, McNabb, and Romo - very good QBs in a strong QB era - but not good enough to be in the HOF. Of that group, I'd probably put Rivers in next if any of them were to get in.

How many QBs from the same era should get into the HOF??
__________________
Bardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:07 AM  
Posted in reply to Bardy's post "Fuck Eli"
#27
McCarthy12
 
McCarthy12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: .
Posts:
McCarthy12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

McNabb's problem is that he had 5 ELITE years followed by ten years that were mostly mediocre with a few a little above average and some below average. The years after 2004, by and large, were not very good and every year he played after 2004 diluted his career - maybe not by the numbers, but by the perception. Ultimately, not having won a SB (or at least not having gotten to more than 1) during that 5 year stretch will do him in.

I don't think Eli is a HOF caliber player, but he will get in. Rothlisburger deserves to be in. Rivers probably does, too.
__________________
"Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay
McCarthy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:38 AM  
Posted in reply to Bardy's post "Fuck Eli"
#28
DEERSPINE GUY
LEGEND
 
DEERSPINE GUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DEERSPINE DEN
Posts:
DEERSPINE GUY is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardy View Post
I don't think McNabb deserves to get in, but I think his case is as good as Eli's.

I don't think Super Bowl rings or Single game MVPs should be the determining factor for HOF. In order to be in the HOF, you ought to be one of the best players at your position for a length of time during the era you played. AT least McNabb was in the MVP race and was the best QB in the league for a season.

In no season was Eli even in the conversation for League MVP. I'm not sure he was ever even a top 5 candidate. A QB not even being in the MVP race for a season tells me he wasn't one of the greatest of his peers. Eli's career outside of the two Super Bowl runs was unimpressive - and his numbers are due to longevity/health in a passing era. He is clearly a very good QB, but not a HOFer in my book

In Eli's era, he played with Peyton, Brady, Roethlisburger, Brees, Rogers just for starters. I put Eli in a group with Rivers, McNabb, and Romo - very good QBs in a strong QB era - but not good enough to be in the HOF. Of that group, I'd probably put Rivers in next if any of them were to get in.

How many QBs from the same era should get into the HOF??

HE'S GETTING IN. FIRST BALLOT. HE'S A MANNING AND S.B. MVP, BUT HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE, ENTIRE DEFENSE SHOULD HAVE BEEN. BUT NONE THE LESS, HE HAS S.B. MVP NEXT TO HIS NAME.
__________________
"LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.
DEERSPINE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:43 AM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "McNabb's problem is that he had 5 ELITE..."
#29
Bardy
 
Bardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Joisey
Posts:
Bardy
Default

I agree that Eli will get in, but it's a travesty in my opinion. Even in the two Super Bowl years, halfway into both of them, their own fans were calling for his head. He had two legendary half seasons/playoff runs. It should take more to be a HOF'er.

He'll get in because of name, playing in NY and the two Super Bowls, and his longevity. The fact that outside of the two Super Bowl years, he's only led his team to the playoffs 4 other times in a 15 YR Career and is 0-4 in those other playoff appearances should disqualify him. Add to that only 4 pro bowl selections in 15 years in an era when at least 8 QB's a year get the distinction is ridiculous. (3 plus the two SB QBs)
__________________
Bardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:51 AM  
Posted in reply to slag's post starting "I beg to differ ... and you have not..."
#30
art vandelay
de Madrid
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NC
Posts:
art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

What do you beg to differ with?

Concerning your point, I still think it is a false dilemma. A McNabb "hater" can hate Dallas without liking what McNabb said about Aikman.

McNabb "hater" or not, I don't know why hating Dallas as a "true fan" means anyone has to like what McNabb said. The fact that McNabb ignores the changes in the game since the early 90s, and Aiman's 3 rings, just makes him sound delusional.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:54 AM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "McNabb's problem is that he had 5 ELITE..."
#31
art vandelay
de Madrid
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NC
Posts:
art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

This, exactly. McNabb needed to go ELITE for twice as long as he was, or have won a ring, to make the HOF. Even in his years as an ELITE QB, he only posted great numbers once, and he even posted pretty bad numbers once.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #32
DEERSPINE GUY
LEGEND
 
DEERSPINE GUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DEERSPINE DEN
Posts:
DEERSPINE GUY is on a distinguished road
Default

MCWORMER IS JUST YAPPIN TO GET PEOPLE TO TALK ABOUT HIM AGAIN..


I'M NOT A 5 HATER BY ANY MEANS, BUT MAN HE MAKES IT DIFFICULT.
__________________
"LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.
DEERSPINE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 04:54 PM  
Posted in reply to Bardy's post starting "I agree that Eli will get in, but it's..."
#33
IronEagle
El-Correctomundo
 
IronEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: East Coast Elitist
Posts:
IronEagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardy View Post
I agree that Eli will get in, but it's a travesty in my opinion. Even in the two Super Bowl years, halfway into both of them, their own fans were calling for his head. He had two legendary half seasons/playoff runs. It should take more to be a HOF'er.

He'll get in because of name, playing in NY and the two Super Bowls, and his longevity. The fact that outside of the two Super Bowl years, he's only led his team to the playoffs 4 other times in a 15 YR Career and is 0-4 in those other playoff appearances should disqualify him. Add to that only 4 pro bowl selections in 15 years in an era when at least 8 QB's a year get the distinction is ridiculous. (3 plus the two SB QBs)
I can't disagree with anything you said here.
__________________
--------
"We choose to go to the moon."
IronEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 05:37 PM  
Posted in reply to IronEagle's post starting "I can't disagree with anything you said..."
#34
RSE
Seņor Counsel
 
RSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: East Bumfuck, New York
Posts:
RSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

The funny thing is those two Super Bowls demonstrated how being a slack-jawed yokel actually worked to Eli’s benefit.
RSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM  
Posted in reply to IronEagle's post starting "A few things about McNabb from my..."
#35
harls
 
harls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lebanon, pa
Posts:
harls is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle View Post
A few things about McNabb from my perspective:

He did throw a lot of balls into the ground. Wormburners. He may have been coached to do that... I don't know. He had a powerful arm.
I argued this point for years. How many times did we see McNabb hit his garbage WRs in the numbers only for them to pop the ball up and get picked off, especially early in his career. By throwing low they would knock the ball to the ground if they didn't catch it. I believe he was either coached to throw it low or he decided that was the safer play.

That said McNabb did not have a HOF career. For a brief window he was one of if not the most dangerous QB's in the league, But he did not do it the traditional way and his success was not sustained enough for the HOF.
harls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Post Contents are owned by the posters. Use the "Contact Us" link to contact us for administrative issues. Original Artwork and other content copyright 2000-2007 by Raptor (mostly) and/or IGGLEPHANS