No announcement yet.

KC's front office gets it right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a knock on Wentz overall but he was not even close to 100% this season. Bad back in the second Dallas game. My point is valid.

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
    Compare Dallas’ defense to NO’s and then tell me how NO’s defense did especially in the last 3 quarters, “and that was with Foles playing.”

Keep the agenda to yourself.

Comment

I think that's just where the DBs were when he used that formation against Dallas the first time. It didn't seem to be as prevalent over the last 6 weeks.
      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

There were several reasons why the defense regressed--

1. Tackling was poor--I saw every Eagles game on this side of the pond this year and it seemed that Ronald Darby, in his contract year, was adverse to contact. They didn't wrap up like they did last year. he wasn't the only one, but it seemed like all the players who got big contracts (yes I'm talking to you Nigel Bradham) just weren't tackling well--I saw more shoulder tackles than ever. You can say it was Schwartz's fault, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. This is also why the picket fence defense was so poor this season--players just weren't showing much aggression getting to the receiver and getting him down on the ground.

2. Blitzing--everyone calls for more blitzing, but the fact of the matter is, they weren't very good at it. They almost never hit home--the first play against TB, that was a blitz and the result was a 75 yard TD pass; the game winner by the Titans--that was a zero blitz; the big 4th and 10 conversion against the Panthers--that was a blitz and Torrey Smith went for 35 yards. Plus, when he had people like Maddox, Graham, Douglas, and LeBlanc in the DB backfield, he didn't feel comfortable with the blitz.

3. Injuries--I said this before--you can withstand injuries when they are spread out on your team but you really can't withstand them if they hit one position group and that's what happened--McLeod, Jones, Darby, Mills, etc. You just can't withstand that many injuries to one group and be successful. I'm amazed the run they went on with the defense they had.

They finished 12th in points allowed this year which is pretty damn good with all the problems they had.

Last year in 3 playoff games, they allowed 16.6 points per game--2 of those were at home.

This year in 2 road games, they allowed 17.5--including holding a very explosive Saints offense to 20 in the Superdome. The last 2 times they've played the Saints in the playoffs they allowed 26.5 points per game.

Schwartz needs to tweak his system for sure, but his players need to use better technique as well.

As I said in another thread, the Eagles and Chiefs suffered the same fate--they got killed by the same play over and over again--the Eagles with the in cut and the Chiefs with the slant.

Comment

Great view on our D Bobby

Their inability to tackle (especially on 3rd and over 10) was downright pathetic along with the picket fence. The TB, Tenn, and Carolina games (to some extent both Dullass) were all winnable if we just made tackles...you nailed to 2 worst culprits as well Darby and Bradham

Comment

Careful about stats in a vacuum

Defense is, to some degree, a function of offense.

Guess which offense was 4th is time of possession this year?

The three ahead of them were the Bears, Ravens and Pats ... who were 1, 2 and 7 in scoring defense.
            Last edited by slag; 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM.
            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I agree. He might as well win coach of the year for what he did with the db's.

But yeah, that third down d is the worst. Let's give you a ten yard running start in space and see if we can tackle you within the next five yards. What could possibly go wrong?!
              Last edited by McCarthy12; 01-23-2019, 04:25 PM.
              "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

ALL I READ ON HERE ALL YEAR WAS SCHVANTZ BLOWS SCHVANTZ NEEDS TO GO.
                NOW, WHAT A FLIP FLOP.

ONE MORE YEAR WITH HEALTHY PLAYERS AND SEE WHAT HE'S GOT.

HE IS THE SAME GUY GAVE UP OVER 500 YARDS IN SUPER BOWL RIGHT? IF NOT FOR STRIP SACK I'D HATE TO THINK WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED. 17 ZIP VS PANTHERS, WITH TEN MINUTES TO GO LOST. TITANS HAD LEAD LOST. AMONG OTHERS.

WE'LL SEE.
                "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Put a better guy in there, then. Who is it? We're arm-chair QBing the shit out of the firing decision, so let's hear some names.
                  Last edited by BigSlizz; 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM.
                  -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                    Put a better guy in there, then. Who is it? We're arm-chair QBing the shit out of the firing decision, so let's hear some names.
                    Something tells me that once again this will go unanswered.

Comment

There's lots of weirdness about this year. They didn't play with the lead very much, but yet they blew leads against Carolina and Tennessee. I don't think the appropriate reaction is overreaction.
                      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

At least when you asked me who I wanted over McNabb, I managed to answer with Byron Leftwich.
                        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Yeah, people want blitzes, but Kendricks was the only LB who could do it well and he was putrid in coverage.
                          "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Dom Capers, Mike Smith (retired but maybe come back for the right job), Winston Moss, longtime asst head coach/LBs coach in Green Bay, Rex Ryan, Kris Richard (that would hurt the Boys), Mike Nolan, John Fox, who was a good DC not much of a head coach, even though he did take 2 separate teams to the SB.

Comment

At least you named names. Screw the 3-4, so there goes the front end of the list. Pass on Nolan, and who says Fox wants to DC? Maybe Richard.

You're not blowing me away here.
                              -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
                                Dom Capers, Mike Smith (retired but maybe come back for the right job), Winston Moss, longtime asst head coach/LBs coach in Green Bay, Rex Ryan, Kris Richard (that would hurt the Boys), Mike Nolan, John Fox, who was a good DC not much of a head coach, even though he did take 2 separate teams to the SB.
                                They aren't switching to a 3-4, homie.
                                "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Working...
                                X