Machado to Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
    I think they definitely had a number for Machado and that Klentak may very well have wanted Machado > Harper. That being said, I don't think they went all in on Machado because Machado accepting that number would have impacted the number they would have been willing to offer Harper.
    That doesn't make sense. Why would they prefer Machado to Harper but also set a limit on Machado's number because it would preclude them from signing harper?

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
    Trout will be 26 this year and if the Angels try to work out an extension with him ASAP so he doesn't hit FA, Harper's new contract will set a benchmark for that extension. That extension offer would also thus be a benchmark to whatever Trout gets in FA (similar to the Nats extension offer of 10 years/$300 mill to Harper).
    But Trout would be 28, not 26. Getting a players 26-36 years is simply different and it's not like Trout is being paid poorly right now. If you mean a benchmark in terms of AAV, I'll buy that, but I'm not sure it's apples to apples.

Comment

I think Klentak/MacPhail preferred Machado > Harper from a baseball standpoint and it's even been speculated they have a biased predilection for Manny from their experiences in Baltimore, where they drafted him. Middleton seemed to prefer Harper not only as a baseball player, but also because of his ROI potential as a marketing asset for the team.

You could argue that they could have made a compromise on both if they were able to get them at a reasonable aggregate price, but I really don't think that was a possibility considering the contract they gave McCutchen, along with the duo's record-breaking contract demands (which is why one just signed and we're still waiting on the other one to ink a deal). It's Middleton who's opening his wallet, so I believe his say supersedes MacKlentak in this scenario.

As for Trout, I'm saying the contract the Angels offer him this year (per the below) in his age 26 season will impact what he's offered in his age 28 season, if he hits FA.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6300540-r...st-paid-player
      Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Working...
      X