Logistics question for downtown PHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logistics question for downtown PHL

Always stay near airport but may be coming up for game this year with neighbors who are Seahawks fans. Trying to tell them going to night game with their kids is a bad idea but they seem committed.

Assuming N broad area right by convention center & city hall is ok for families but wanted to check with some of you local guys.

N Broad street and Arch/JFK section

Stayed there for a couple of days during the parade.

You’re making a good choice.

Comment

Don't confuse Center City with North Broad. Your friends really want no part of the latter, especially at night. I don't even think there are hotels around there anyway.

The convention center, Chinatown, city hall, center city, and all down toward the historic area and old city are pretty good. Plenty of places to stay, good tourist action during the day, and lots of good restaurant action.

If it was me, I'd probably pick the Doubletree on Broad. Really easy subway access, and it's in the Avenue of the Arts area, which is attractive and relatively safe.
      Last edited by Susquehanna Birder; 04-30-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

North Broad and Arch St area. too far north? it looks like a block north of city hall on google maps. across from convention center.

this is in the heart of all the hotels near the convention center.

just noticed it's a few blocks from Steve's Prince of Steaks, which we've never tried and we like to hit a different place (or 3) every time we come up.
        Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

saw you post your wife was in St. Croix for work. Lucky her.

we spent close to a month there on vacation back in the day before kids when we had a sick hook up for a house right by buck island. we'd take the boat over there and snorkel every day.

drank cruzan rum like water.

awesome place.

Comment

It's fine. You're basically right by City Hall. Calling Arch St. North Broad, while technically true, isn't really the same. It's mostly offices, courts, municipal stuff, etc. There is a shelter at broad and arch which is the only concerning thing (I think it's quiet at night, but I don't know). I work very nearby - i have walked and biked thru regularly and probably at night w/o issue.

Honestly, most of broad up to Girard is fine for anyone. Obviously, still a city, so be careful. Are they staying at the meridian?

Also, the fru-fru Cheesesteak joint, Cleaver's is nearby. It's a nice lunch spot IMHO. I like their chicken parm better, tbh.
            Last edited by JuTMSY4; 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Exactly. Technically Arch crosses North Broad, but when you say "North Broad" to most people, they start thinking about areas up past Temple, through Olney, and northward.

Have your friends hit up the Reading Terminal Market. Some great eating places, including DiNic's where they will find very good cheesesteaks and roast pork sandwiches. (And my stomach just growled as I was typing this.)

Comment

She’s is working on a project and may head back a few more times. She came back energized by the place (while I took on the usually burdens I might add!).

She also stayed near Buck Island but didn’t get a chance to go there. Family and work didn't allow for me to go but we are discussing the idea of a weekend when she heads back. Buck Island might be the push I need! She mentioned that place a lot.

She brought home some rum as well.

The area got slammed by Hurricane Maria. Apparently FEMA and other government employees have taken up a Marriott hotel as they work to rebuild some things.

Comment

thanks guys. We're targeting that area b/c my buddy has a connection.

i've never made it to reading terminal myself so will make sure to do that.

show the proper respect to my seahawk friends when i bring them to the gayte -- allow me the honor of launching the first sucker punch, please.

They're originally from Australia and latched on to the seachickens like a lot of people here did -- the Russell Wilson syndrome.
                  Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-30-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I usually Hotwire a room in “Center City West Rittenhouse Square” or stay at the Loews if I can get a good rate there. Around Arch St is ok but my personal preference is to stay further south. One time I was at the Loews and the Vagiants were staying there. Another time I stayed at the Westin and Chump Kelly had the Eagles staying there
                    --------
                    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I HEAR THERE'S A PARADE THAT WEEKEND WITH NAKED MEN ON THE BACK OF PICKUP TRUCKS WEARING RAINBOW SASHES.

JUST A RUMOR FROM WANGUNTZ CENTRAL.
                      "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Loews is good. I've also stayed quite a few times at the Marriott (we were there for the Super Bowl, watching at the Hard Rock). Thinking about it makes me want to go back for a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
                          Loews is good. I've also stayed quite a few times at the Marriott (we were there for the Super Bowl, watching at the Hard Rock). Thinking about it makes me want to go back for a visit.
                          I have a good Loews story.

It's about 10 years ago and I was in the process of getting divorced. Overall I was generally miserable during this period of time.

Well Diggle scores me press level seats to the final Dead show at the Spectrum. This was a kind act from a good friend (among other kind acts from many friends) and I will always be Grateful.

So I booked a room at the Loews. When I'm at the check-in desk, the guy at the desk asks me what I am town for. I tell him I'm here from NYC for the last Dead show at the Spectrum. The guy doesn't bat an eye and tells me he is upgrading me to a club suite.
                          --------
                          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

If your a HiltonHonors guy, there's a few: Hampton, Hilton Garden and Home2Suites right around Reading Terminal. We usually stay in those but have been fiddling round with AirBnB with decent results as of late.

Only real pain in the ass with Center City is stowing your car. $30-40 a night usually. And trust Birder on Dinics. That place is money.

Comment

I recommend the Hotel2, I stay there a lot and it is clean very kid friendly from the amount of kids I see there. It is across from the Reading Terminal. Also I park 2 block down at the parking garage on 10th & Filbert $23 for 24 hours not a day

Comment

Working...
                              X