No announcement yet.

Machado to Dodgers, Kawhi to Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to make an assessment based on 2 drafts. Moniak looks bad (Puk or Senzel was the call, although both would have been above slot) but Haseley looks really good. I think you take the best talent available relative to the rest of the draft and slot value.

We'll see - they need a game-changing talent in their order right now.

Comment

I just hope they continue to avoid drafting kids out of high school in the first round. Stick with college and continue to go south of the border. Randolph and Moniak back-to-back is most likely Jeff Jackson-level busts. If you haven't guessed it yet, I'm starting to sour a little over this front office.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
        I just hope they continue to avoid drafting kids out of high school in the first round. Stick with college and continue to go south of the border. Randolph and Moniak back-to-back is most likely Jeff Jackson-level busts. If you haven't guessed it yet, I'm starting to sour a little over this front office.
        Machado, Harper and Trout were all 1st rounders out of HS. So was Carlos Correa, Christian Yelich, Francisco Lindor, Javy Baez and Corey Seager. I dont have a problem with taking HS kids in the 1st round, but I do have a problem with THIS organization scouting and then taking HS kids in the 1st round

Comment

Not so fast with Machado to the Dodgers...

https://twitter.com/StevePhillipsGM/...45897209270274
          Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Then he goes to Milwaukee since the Phils are 3rd according to reports.

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
            Not so fast with Machado to the Dodgers...

https://twitter.com/StevePhillipsGM/...45897209270274

Comment

what do you mean by "this organization"

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
              but I do have a problem with THIS organization scouting and then taking HS kids in the 1st round
              McPhail's FO has only overseen two drafts- they took college outfielders in both. If you mean generally, I guess I agree, but it doesn't really matter.

Hs players typically have higher upsides, but YMMV. Nola as a college first rounder and he seems ok. So were Utley and Burrell. Hamels was drafted 1st out of HS.
              Last edited by JuTMSY4; 07-18-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I agree. There's is always going to be high school talent out there. This organization can't identify it. Johnny Almaraz can find talent in Latin America. He needs to surround himself with scouts that can find talent here.

Comment

I was speaking more in a general way about the Phillies as a whole, regardless of GM.

The HS'ers taken in the 1st (or Supplemental 1st) since 1999, so through Wade, Gillick, Roob and now McPhail/Klentak:

Average/Good- Brett Myers, Gavin Floyd, Cole Hamels and Travis d'Arnaud

Jury Out- Crawford (I still believe), Moniak and Randolph (Don't believe in them)

Bad- Jesse Biddle, Mitch Gueller, Shane Watson, Larry Greene, Zach Collier, Anthony Hewitt, Adrian Cardenas, Kyle Drabek and Greg Golson

Granted, some of the "Bad" players were used in trades for major league talent, but if they had to actually rely on any of those players to be key pieces, they'd be f'd.

25% became at least average but none outside of Cole were ever truly "great." It'll jump up to 43% if Crawford, Moniak and Randolph become average. Is that less, the same or more than other teams when drafting HS kids in the 1st? I don't know the answer, it just seems that they tried it a lot and (to your other point) they're taking college guys now and it seems to be working out better.

Comment

Klentak took Moniak #1 overall. That one stings the most. Maybe he'll find Jesus and prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
                      Klentak took Moniak #1 overall. That one stings the most. Maybe he'll find Jesus and prove me wrong.
                      And they took him 1 because they knew they could sign him for less to then take someone in the 2nd and pay him slightly more. They then took Kevin Gowdy (another HS kid) with the first pick in round 2 who threw 9 innings in the Gulf League in 2016 (4.00 ERA) and then blew out his arm and needed TJ which he's currently recovering from.

The whole plan worked like a charm.

Almaraz did say that Moniak was #1 on his board at the time of the draft, but...c'mon.
                      Last edited by Sect 236; 07-18-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

There's no doubt money was a factor. I remember when it happened. I expect this team to be stocked with Latin Americans going forward. That's Almaraz's strength.

Comment

hard to say

I was speaking more in a general way about the Phillies as a whole, regardless of GM.
                          Here's an interesting article on drafting from about 2 years ago:

https://www.fangraphs.com/community/...picks-by-slot/

Looks like the first overall pick has perhaps a 50% success rate and it's worse from there. Incredible.

Comment

I change my mind. I think the Phils may have fucked up. The Dodgers package is underwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                              I change my mind. I think the Phils may have fucked up. The Dodgers package is underwhelming.
                              What I've seen from most analysts is that of the 5 players in the deal, the Phillies could have and probably did top 2-5, but they weren't topping Yusniel Diaz without including Sixto or a Major Leaguer (Kingery I would assume).

They'll take their shot in the summer and this quote from the Dodgers' GM shows that the chance to sign him will be there.

Asked if the Dodgers would re-sign Machado, Zaidi demurred.

"Let's have him at least show up in a Dodger uniform before we start asking those questions," he said. "We hope he plays well and creates a good market for himself. We're not worried about what happens past 2018."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                                Phillies had a price and stuck to it. I'm fine with that tactic. He's a rental

They'll take their shot in the summer and this quote from the Dodgers' GM shows that the chance to sign him will be there.
                                I think the Yankees are a far greater threat than the Dodgers, but it's impossible to predict. Phillies can offer him SS and probably the most money which are pretty crucial factors. We'll see.
                                Last edited by JuTMSY4; 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X