Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Pay Inequality For Women’s Soccer Gender Driven

or Sports Economic Driven?

On an international level, it is economics-driven. Harder to make that case in the US right now because, having been too crappy to qualify for the last world cup, the men's revenue over the last few years actually trails the women. I had no idea that was the case before my wife pointed it out.

The men are nobodies who failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. Yet from 2016 to 2018, according to The Wall Street Journal, the women just barely out-earned the men, $50.8 to $49.9 million.
    https://nypost.com/2019/07/08/us-wom...than-it-seems/
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I actually posed the question after reading that article. I think the women have a case, but I’m not knowledgable about the various revenues streams and the governing bodies within the bigger picture to come to a conclusion.

Comment

I think if the men were good, it would be a lot easier to make the case that it is purely economics. It's actually kind of embarrassing that the men can't make that argument.

Comment

Women's tennis and men's tennis, equal footing. Maybe more slanted towards the women, bigger draw. Outside of figure skating, what women's sport that the men play gets bigger crowds or tv viewership? Women's golf is garbage, women's hockey is the level of 14-15 year old elite boys hockey, women's basketball?? Forget it. The USWNT team run was great, but if you were to put the men's World Cup on at the same time you wouldn't know it was even on. You want pay equity?? Play better or get better ratings.
          Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

It's economic pure and simple.

And the argument that I heard being bandied about ... that the woman's final had better US tv viewership this year than the most recent World Cup final as a reason for woman to equal pay ignores the fact that the men's final didn't include the US team.

But McCarthy already basically made this point.

The only reason the women are even able to make this argument is because the men are sucking at the moment ... the best woman's team in the world is basically attracting the same interest as a shitbag men's team.
            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

A lot of you American girls play soccer

I think it's thought of more as a women's sport here than in the rest of the world. Lots of boys playing too, but I think American success will continue to lie with the women.

The title should have said "young", not you.
              Last edited by BirdBrawn; 07-12-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

My kids aren't really interested in soccer but I know from some co-workers how incredibly expensive it is now to get your kids playing on good travel teams. I think, with the men, that is going to be an impediment to developing the best talent. It's a money making scheme that prices out a decent segment of the population. Add in the the MLS's influence on the national team and I don't really see where we are going to be competitive any time soon.

Sucks because we currently have (IMO) the best American soccer player ever in his early 20's and we may waste his entire international career. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

Comment

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...n-a-scrimmage/

Comment

Originally posted by BirdBrawn View Post
                    I think it's thought of more as a women's sport here than in the rest of the world. Lots of boys playing too, but I think American success will continue to lie with the women.

The title should have said "young", not you.
                    Pretty sure it's because there's no serious women's professional football to gobble up the best talent. Mostly the same skills for running backs and defensive backs.
                    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Working...
                    X