Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Philly.com become a pay to read site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Philly.com become a pay to read site?

Just tried reading an article and got a YOU HAVE REACHED YOUR MONTHLY LIMIT message.

Understand sites need to charge to stay afloat but am not sure I want to.

Edited to add: $1 for 4 weeks and then $3/week thereafter.

Just in time for football season!
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM.

google chrome / incognito view
    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
      Just tried reading an article and got a YOU HAVE REACHED YOUR MONTHLY LIMIT message.

Try this bookmark:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports

Comment

Read articles for free everyday

Comment

It just started today. Guess I won;t be reading anymore

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/a-...-20170905.html

Comment

I got it too. Turned on the VPN and it went away.

Comment

Interesting how people...

...pay six bucks for a greeting card, pay for junk food, cigarettes and lap dances...but God forbid you ask them to pay for news.
              Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
              May 7, 2010

Comment

I hear you but you always had to pay for those things.

Once you get something for free for years it's hard to start paying for it. Unless we are talking about Medellin cocaine in the 70's.

If you're the only game in town you'll get the subscribers. But I think people will get their Eagles and sixers news elsewhere, unfortunately. Unless every eagle source out there also goes subscription model.

I paid $100 for the mcgregor Mayweather fight. Millions of people saw it for free. I'll likely subscribe because I'm an honest person for the most part and my family has a long history in the newspaper biz.
                Last edited by Ellsworth; 09-06-2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

You always had to pay for those thingS. Once you get it for years for free it's hard to pay for it.

If you're the only game in town you'll get the subscribers. But I think people will get their Eagles and sixers news elsewhere, unfortunately. Unless every eagle source out there also goes subscription model.

I paid $100 for the mcgregor Mayweather fight. Millions of people saw it for free.

The purpose of having to pay is to cut diwn on the racist troll comments in the comment sectionn

Comment

You always had to pay for those thingS. Once you get it for years for free it's hard to pay for it.

I paid $100 for the mcgregor Mayweather fight. Millions of people saw it for free.
                    IT COST A HUNDG TO WATCH THAT FARCE? WOW. IT WAS JUST ON SHOWTIME CHANNEL, I STILL HAD NO INTEREST.

YOU'RE RIGHT THOUGH, THERE'S ENOUGH PLACES TO GET YOUR SPORTS FIX AND NOT PAY FOR IT. I'VE NEVER BEEN ON PHILLY.COM, NO REASON TO.
                    "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Maybe you should, Philly.com has the best sports writers from The Inquirer and the Daily News. Much better then the schlock that comes from BGN, National writers, the Jersey sports reporters and many more. Its worth paying to get news in your area.

Edit: There are some pretty good writers at CSN just need to wade through the crap, also its real easy to delete cookies and read whatever you want.
                      Last edited by CbEagle; 09-06-2017, 08:39 AM.
                      On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CbEagle View Post
                        Maybe you should, Philly.com has the best sports writers from The Inquirer and the Daily News. Much better then the schlock that comes from BGN, National writers, the Jersey sports reporters and many more. Its worth paying to get news in your area.

Edit: There are some pretty good writers at CSN just need to wade through the crap, also its real easy to delete cookies and read whatever you want.
                        The Athletic is gonna be the one to subscribe to. A lot of the top reporters discarded by the Inky and the Daily look like theyre gonna resurface there.
                        "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Yeah, if I were to pay, it would probably be for that.

Since our society requires news immediately and reporters are forced into that game, I suspect there will always be plenty of free news on twitter, including play by play game updates and verbatim press conference reporting.
                          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

It's shameful. Not sure why anyone would want to go into journalism anymore. Probably the most thankless profession there is.
                            -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

When you started stealing electric ....

...from you neighbors trailer.
                              "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Working...
                              X