Greta Van Fleet: Yea or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
    I had never heard of them until this. Just watched the videos. Talented but they strike me as being awfully focused on trying to he someone else. Great for a tribute band but very awkward if they are trying to be their own band.
    If they can get away from the "sounds like Led Zep" death trap, they might be alight. Otherwise, they'll suffer the same fate as these guys.

Comment

Absolute no for me. Total posers. Cant jam. Phony as hell. Frauds
      WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

Black Smoke Rising doesn’t sound like a rip off.

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        No doubt a total Zeppelin ripoff. Hopefully they find their own style.

I'm just glad to see some young musicians playing hard rock. It's been dying off for a while.
        It’s more Getty Lee with the vocals if anything. I think that’s the issue facing rock bands- being compared to others.

British Wave
        Heavy Metal
        Big Hair Bands
        Grunge

They only way to separate yourself is by forging a new derivative of rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggle View Post
          Absolute no for me. Total posers. Cant jam. Phony as hell. Frauds
          Aren't their concert tickets run through AXS?

It's funny. A couple of years I posted about a Robert Plant concert at Brooklyn Academy of Music I really enjoyed. Zoli dismissed me, saying Plant doesn't have the vocal range he used to.. Which is true, but I still enjoyed the show.

This kid has the vocal range. They are young, we will see where they go.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
            If they can get away from the "sounds like Led Zep" death trap, they might be alight. Otherwise, they'll suffer the same fate as these guys.

Agreed that they need to stop sounding like Zep but I think the vocalist is miles above the one in the video you posted.
            --------

Comment

I like a guy who can belt a scream

but I've been lamenting the absence of rock bands doing songs with a great guitar solo for awhile now ... still waiting.
              Last edited by slag; 01-27-2019, 06:00 PM.
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                but I've been lamenting the absence of rock bands doing songs with a great guitar solo for awhile now ... still waiting.
                Yeah, no great new rock guitarrists on the level of a Page, Clapton or Hendrix recently
                --------

Comment

Not necessarily axs - thats venue dependant. I think they fizzle hard
                  WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

Agreed that they need to stop sounding like Zep but I think the vocalist is miles above the one in the video you posted.
                    Oh, I know... Kingdom Come was an (unintentional) 80s joke band. These guys are better musicians all around. They just need to find their own thing and do it well. Nothing they've done has really grabbed me yet, but there's time.

(really, I just posted the Kingdom Come video for the outrageous "Kashmir" delivery of that opening line. Always cracks me up)
                    Last edited by The Duck; 01-27-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

CHECK OUT THIS BAND FROM GLEN ROCK NJ.
                      CALLED DEAF RHINO, THEY WERE AT MUSIKFEST BETHLEHEM. LIKED EM A LOT.BAR BAND RIGHT NOW ,WAITING FOR BREAK.
                      Last edited by DEERSPINE GUY; 01-27-2019, 07:26 PM.
                      "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                        I'm wearing this hoodie today... ever been there?

Rock Capitol of Brooklyn! Surely connected!

--------

Comment

I'm gonna say yea. Kid has a hell of a set of pipes.

But they are going to need to branch out from the Led Zeppelin style stuff if they want to be truly successful.

Then also, Zeppelin was kind of derivative. So now we have the second derivative.
                          Bored with the Zep imitation but didn't mind their Rush tribute on SNL.
                          Last edited by Maniac; 01-27-2019, 10:05 PM.
                          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Like the little bit I've heard from them

Don't know enough to have a real opinion.

Another Day Dawns - good band local to here, might have a contract by now. Good old fashioned hard rock sound.

Comment

Pitchfork absolutely RIPPED into them on their last album that dropped in October.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...peaceful-army/

I've been aware of these guys for awhile, never was a huge fan but apparently they put on a sick live performance. For sure have some catchy songs and I appreciate what they're trying to do, but as many have alluded to before, they're no Zeppelin.
                              Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X