Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great read on Tony Romo

by ex-NFLer Nate Jackson.

Jackson is a guy the Wall Street Journal described as a unicorn ... an ex pro football player who is actually a legit writer ... which I think may be insulting to football players because there aren't many legit writers among humans in general.

Anyway, he states that Romo is a terrific color commentator but the concept that he's "predicting" the future focuses too much on x's and o's ... and needs to be supplemented by the fact that football also comes down to instinct and who knocks the other guys' dick in the dirt ... ie. sometimes, even when you know its coming you can't stop it.

He also confirms the opinion of Stephen A Smith held by many here ... at least as pertaining to football.

https://deadspin.com/lets-all-calm-d...omo-1831993023
    Last edited by slag; 01-27-2019, 10:13 AM.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

So is Papa and Romo, with Steratore critiquing the officials, the broadcast dream team?

Who is on the sideline?
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
      by ex-NFLer Nate Jackson.

Jackson is a guy the Wall Street Journal described as a unicorn ... an ex pro football player who is actually a legit writer ... which I think may be insulting to football players because there aren't many legit writers among humans in general.

Anyway, he states that Romo is a terrific color commentator but the concept that he's "predicting" the future focuses too much on x's and o's ... and needs to be supplemented by the fact that football also comes down to instinct and who knocks the other guys' dick in the dirt ... ie. sometimes, even when you know its coming you can't stop it.

He also confirms the opinion of Stephen A Smith held by many here ... at least as pertaining to football.

https://deadspin.com/lets-all-calm-d...omo-1831993023
      If Romo would shut the fuck up and let the broadcast breathe occasionally, he would be a lot more tolerable.
      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Not really the point of the article ... which is that the author thinks he's neglecting some of the instinctual and physical aspects football that is being lost in the media/fan frenzy about his ability to read defenses and offensive tendencies.

Comment

the author thinks he's neglecting some of the instinctual and physical aspects football that is being lost in the media/fan frenzy about his ability to read defenses and offensive tendencies.
          The Madden Generation wants to pencil-whip their opponents because you can't out-physical an opponent while playing a video game

Football is still about human confrontation and knocking their dick in the dirt as you noted - and that's what's totally missing from Romo's act. The OL is bashing their brains in on every play while chatty cathy is busying himself with "reading coverages"

Comment

Jackson isn't totally dismissing x's and o's.

And he understands the attraction to all fans of having someone who knows how to read a game tell you what he sees (I don't play Madden, but I like Romo telling me something I don't know enough to see like he does).

He just thinks Romo should add some of that "human confrontation" into the mix to give a complete picture.

Comment

He just thinks Romo should add some of that "human confrontation" into the mix to give a complete picture.
              Agreed, but I don't think Romo can do it because modern NFL QBs rarely if ever experience it the way that an OL/DL does.

Years ago, NFL QBs were battered and beaten, now days they finish with a clean jersey even on a muddy day. If you need more human confrontation, a former QB would be pretty far down the list of guys you'd choose to add that element to the broadcast

Fox used to have Tony Siragusa to handle that role

Comment

Could be ... although I think skill guys can understand that the play sometimes is drawn up one way but the success or failure of it is due to something physical that is aside from the correct "read" by the QB or a defender.

And I think that's what Jackson want's Romo to recognize and describe more.

Comment

Working...
                X