Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PITCHERS AND CATCHERS IN ONE WEEK.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.
    "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

As much as a Harper or Machado acquisition is crucial, Phillies need Nick Pivetta and/or Zac Eflin to take a big step forward. Same for Jorge Alfaro. A Realmuto trade accelerates that (and makes the pitching staff far more comfortable) but maybe isn't the best use of resources, IMHO (if you're an Alfaro believer).

I'm far more measured this year (before they acquire the biggest FA since probably Thome or I guess Cliff Lee, maybe ever?), but they should be competitive all year.

Comment

What's going on with Harper? Heard yesterday he's visiting the Padres now?
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

No one really knows

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
        What's going on with Harper? Heard yesterday he's visiting the Padres now?
        But the Padres still don't really have the cash on hand to spend big (again) this offseason. I think it's mostly posturing by them.

So, other than maybe swooping in for a deep discount, I don't see them really getting involved. This is probably more relationship-building with the big guys.

Otherwise, speculation is the Phillies are playing Lozano (Machado's agent) and Boras (Harper's) against each other because the 2nd player to sign probably won't get nearly what the first does. The phillies should lock down one eventually. I think if they have offers on both at prices they could handle, but I doubt another team doesn't beat the 2nd player deal (if that makes sense).

Comment

Working...
        X