No announcement yet.

Donovan Mcnabb in hindsight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Tampa championship game was a trauma he never psychologically recovered from.

He wasn’t really recovered from the ankle. He didn’t play well the week before but the defense smoked Atlanta so he didn’t need to. Against the Bucs he needed his legs and he didn’t have them. Two bad fumbles and that interception. I don’t think his confidence was ever the same as it was before the injury.
    Last edited by RSE; 07-05-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
      He was a very good QB (if not necessarily the best human being), and he accomplished a lot. I will always appreciate the success that came with his playing days, and I wish him no ill will. That said, I thought retiring his number was a little hasty.
      Nick Foles out played and out classed Tom Brady. Mcnabb threw 3 bad picks and puked. Was average at best beyond that point.
      I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
        I fully expect Wentz to go down as the Eagles GOAT at QB (in the Super Bowl era) when all is said and done. Right now, and I feel strongly about this, it's Foles. .
        The game is crazy man - Foles cemented a legacy over a 3 game span really, leaped over McNabb that QBed the winningest 10 year stretch of Eagles football we've seen. Doug surpassed Reid essentially in the same fashion.

If you heard in December that "in 2 months we will call Pederson the greatest coach in team history and Foles the greatest QB" you'd think Godfather had posted it as a thread.

Comment

Kind of, but not totally. Look at Foles's career stats as an Eagle. He played at least parts of 4 seasons with the Birds. He's 17-10 in the regular season as the Eagles' starter. 16-5 after his first season. 51 TD's and 19 INT's.

In the playoffs he's 3-1 with a 72% completion percentage, 8 TD's and 1 INT. He's a SB champion, SB MVP, Pro Bowl MVP and has his jersey in Canton for throwing 7 TD's in one game.

I would argue that his body of work is more significant than we give it credit for. Not as significant, from a time standpoint, as McNabb, but certainly more important to the franchise.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I don't want to badmouth McNabb too much. As I said, I don't believe he was given a great receiving corps to work with.

I don't think he was that great of a QB though. He was good but not great. Perhaps he followed in his coaches footsteps in that he choked when it came down to crunch time. He was working with what he was given.

I kinda agree with RSE that something happened to him when he got injured..

I suspected Nick Foles was great when he won that snow game against Detroit. That was legendary. And Super Bowl MVP for LII will live forever.
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Looking back ... makes sense.
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by CbEagle View Post
                Yes we do. Its been five years since the last of that crew left and what they left behind was a stinkin rotting carcass of a franchise. Hell, Chip did more to get this franchise where its at then any of that three, No Howie, Joe and Doug get all the credit.
                Chump Kelly was a bigger villain than McNabb ever was.

That guy did so much to sabotage the Eagles.
                --------

Comment

Hahahahahaha!!

Comment

Honestly, here is the bottom line.

We waited so many years for the Eagles to win a Lombardi and parade down Broad Street.

McNabb never did it. If he had done it I believe a lot of other things would be overlooked.
                    --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                      I kinda agree with RSE that something happened to him when he got injured..
                      I agree as well - I think it happened twice in his career where he regressed after an injury. The broken leg in 2002 and when he tore his acl in 2006. Not sure he ever came close to the same player after 2006 and it wasn't all physical.

Comment

I agree. Think about the current SB players. They practically have a free pass for life like Bobby Clarke. I’ve given Bobby Clarke one more chance for 15 years now. He’s had a free pass 20 years prior to that!

I had a couple of old McNabb bobble heads in boxes that were never opens from early in his career. Last month I was cleaning out the closet and just chucked them in the garbage. He is literally the only retired player I dislike. Guys like Matt McCoy ... indifference.

His character flaws really surfaced in 2004 and beyond. I was always a big supporter of him, but things kept getting worse over time.

The last straw for me was him not supporting and promoting Wentz. It was a total fuck you to the fans and the organization and summed up everything I don’t like about him.

Comment

The McNabb era protagonists all were missing something.

McNabb was insecure and obsessed with the chip on his shoulder.

Reid could not, and still cannot, think on his feet.

Banner stopped treating the salary cap as a means to an end but instead as an end in itself.

Now look at the Eagles.

Rosenman goes for it.

Pedersen goes for it.

Foles and Wentz go for it.

They went for it and come home with a Lombardi Trophy.
                          Last edited by RSE; 07-05-2018, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Foles has a unique place in sports history. He got to win a championship with house money. And for the second time in his career, he's going to be displaced as the starting QB. In a weird way, this helps to protect his legacy. We're not going to get saddled with a Joe Flacco contract. He's not going to choke away a playoff game. He'll just take his W-L record, TD:INT ratio, SB MVP, and ride off into the sunset.

Comment

I'm not missing anything ... McNabb was a fucking monster early in his career and didn't get the skill position support that Roseman gave Wentz/Foles.

I think the Eagles win a least one Super Bowl if they had given him what they didn't ... even with Reid running the shit.

I actually believe they beat the Pats if Owens didn't play on one leg that day.

Obviously I can't prove it, but I believe it ... and if it had happened this thread doesn't ... Chunky McPukey Sex Panther personna notwithstanding.
                              Last edited by slag; 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM.
                              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME.. I SHOOK MY HEAD AND SAID...... WHA?, WHEN THEY RETIRED 5, MADE A FARCE OUT OF RETIRING NUMBERS. A TAD ABOVE AVG DOES NOT A RETIRED NUMBER MAKE.
                                "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Working...
                                X