No announcement yet.

Donovan Mcnabb in hindsight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this very board, people have pointed out McNabb’s failure to execute specific plays as to why he came up short in big games, not just the fact that he was a leader. With regards to Dawkins, do you recall specific assignments that he failed to excute in a game that would deem him as “coming up short” in a big one?

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
      The McNabb era protagonists all were missing something.

McNabb was insecure and obsessed with the chip on his shoulder.

Reid could not, and still cannot, think on his feet.

Banner stopped treating the salary cap as a means to an end but instead as an end in itself.

Now look at the Eagles.

Rosenman goes for it.

Pedersen goes for it.

Foles and Wentz go for it.

They went for it and come home with a Lombardi Trophy.
      They went for it.

And we WON.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

My two beefs with 5

First is the way he reinvented himself by choosing not to run. He took away his own greatest asset and a key dimension of his offense. He wanted to be known as a great passer, but unfortunately he was not. If opposing D-backs had to worry about run support, those pedestrian receivers might have looked better.

Second, he seemed to be afraid of the interception. Whether he lacked the receivers or the nerve is arguable, but he played excessively risk-adverse most of the time and relied on safe(r) passes. Too many throws in the dirt and not enough confidence to throw ballsy passes into tight windows.

Still, I own his jersey and was an enormous fan. It's close, but I would not retire his number.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
          First is the way he reinvented himself by choosing not to run. He took away his own greatest asset and a key dimension of his offense. He wanted to be known as a great passer, but unfortunately he was not. If opposing D-backs had to worry about run support, those pedestrian receivers might have looked better.

Second, he seemed to be afraid of the interception. Whether he lacked the receivers or the nerve is arguable, but he played excessively risk-adverse most of the time and relied on safe(r) passes. Too many throws in the dirt and not enough confidence to throw ballsy passes into tight windows.

Still, I own his jersey and was an enormous fan. It's close, but I would not retire his number.
          He was a great QB for the Eagles. Having said that I don't believe he gets his number retired. I'm not sure Dawk should get his number retired either. I'd reserve that to players who won championships for the Eagles.
          --------

Comment

Yep, you nailed by beef with McNabb as far as his play on the field. You and I talked about his unwillingness to run at length before. I believe McNabb’s unwillingness to run cost the Eagles a SB in 2004.

Comment

I get the standard you set, but Reggie White and Brian Dawkins are the two greatest Eagles players in my life time. Reggie probably the best D lineman to ever play the game. Ronnie Lott was the best safety, but I believe Dawkins is the second best in the modern area.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                I get the standard you set, but Reggie White and Brian Dawkins are the two greatest Eagles players in my life time. Reggie probably the best D lineman to ever play the game. Ronnie Lott was the best safety, but I believe Dawkins is the second best in the modern area.
                Well I would say that all factors need to be considered.

I don't believe McNabb deserved to have his number retired.
                --------

Comment

In my opinion IE’s stance is spot on.

Number 5 we don’t love you, you’re OUT!
                  I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

What a fun and healthy debate amongst 2018 Super Bowl World Champion fans!

I like your standard with only the inclusion of a few exceptional players. In the modern area, Brown, Cunningham and McNabb shouldn’t have their numbers retired. SB winner cut to the front of the line and only Dawkins and White from the modern area.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                      Well I would say that all factors need to be considered.

I don't believe McNabb deserved to have his number retired.
                      LOOKS LIKE 99% ARE IN AGREEMENT ABOUT DONNIE MAC'S NUMBER, BUT WE ALL KNOW WHAT'S DONE IS DONE.

I'D BUY HIM A FEW BEERS AND RAP.

OH AND BOBBLEHEADS, I HAVE TWO OF MCNABB IN MY LIVING ROOM WINDOW, AND JIM THOME TOO.
                      "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

You just know McNabb was rooting against the Eagles in the Super Bowl. Fuck him. He never cared about the Philadelphia community.

Comment

In his 15 minutes as a commentator

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
                          You just know McNabb was rooting against the Eagles in the Super Bowl. Fuck him. He never cared about the Philadelphia community.
                          ...McNabb was rather unkind towards the Birds and Wentz.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
                            This^. I’m surprised this place is filled to the brim with Mcnabb apologists considering he doesn’t give a shit about this team. He roots against future success like a god damn ‘72 dolphin

Comment

That so?

https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/donova...-will-prevail/
                              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Weak. Even for you...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-after-one-win

Comment

Working...
                                X