IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 02-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #21
Greenstealth

Through the draft or free agency. How they improve the position isn't the crux of this thread. Evaluating foles is. The eagles won games this year in spite of him. They had more non offensive points then anyone. By your logic Arizona should be naming stanton as their franchise guy. He "led" them to a 4-1 (3-1 as a starter) record. Foles is what he always was. He got in trouble at az making stupid throws off his back foot. He got away with it in 13. He didn't in '14. He's a stiff. Give him another year. Give him two. What's the difference? If the running game isn't lighting it up, he's not moving the ball. So yeah, try to make the rest of the team better and accept foles for what he is in this offense- LIMITED.
Greenstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 12:24 PM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post starting "Through the draft or free agency. How..."
harls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstealth View Post
Through the draft or free agency. How they improve the position isn't the crux of this thread. Evaluating foles is. The eagles won games this year in spite of him. They had more non offensive points then anyone. By your logic Arizona should be naming stanton as their franchise guy. He "led" them to a 4-1 (3-1 as a starter) record. Foles is what he always was. He got in trouble at az making stupid throws off his back foot. He got away with it in 13. He didn't in '14. He's a stiff. Give him another year. Give him two. What's the difference? If the running game isn't lighting it up, he's not moving the ball. So yeah, try to make the rest of the team better and accept foles for what he is in this offense- LIMITED.
Or use your brain and realize we do not know what Foles is capable of as of yet. He has played phenomenal when he is on and abysmal when he is off. But he has had 28 games he has played in. If you compare that to Peyton Manning's first 28 games Foles comes out on top. If you compare it to Tom Brady's stats Foles comes out on top. Aaron Rodgers and they are fairly comparable.

I am not saying Foles is going to be as good as any of these guys but he has shown at this stage in his career he is as good as some of the best playing today were at this stage it their careers. All of which you would have been crying need upgraded.

Last edited by harls; 02-09-2015 at 12:25 PM.
harls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 02:57 PM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post starting "Through the draft or free agency. How..."
Drama Queen

Drama Queen is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have a specific answer on how to improve the QB position? You're the one that brought it up.
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 03:58 PM  
Posted in reply to harls's post starting "Or use your brain and realize we do not..."
J_Cuz31

J_Cuz31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Or use your brain...If you compare that to Peyton Manning's first 28 games Foles comes out on top. If you compare it to Tom Brady's stats Foles comes out on top. Aaron Rodgers and they are fairly comparable.

I am not saying Foles is going to be as good as any of these guys but he has shown at this stage in his career he is as good as some of the best playing today were at this stage.
Tom Bradys 17th start resulted in a Super Bowl victory and youre claiming Foles' results were superior? Wow. just wow.
Unread 02-09-2015, 05:58 PM  
Posted in reply to J_Cuz31's post starting "Tom Bradys 17th start resulted in a..."
harls

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
Tom Bradys 17th start resulted in a Super Bowl victory and youre claiming Foles' results were superior? Wow. just wow.
Statistically as a passer yes foles stats were better. If we are going by Super Bowls Trent dilfer is better then Marino.
Unread 02-09-2015, 06:34 PM  
Posted in reply to harls's post starting "Statistically as a passer yes foles..."
J_Cuz31

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Statistically as a passer yes foles stats were better. If we are going by Super Bowls Trent dilfer is better then Marino.
not so fast there. youre contradicting yourself big time. you cant say that 'we dont know what we have' and then state that he is better than brady was at this stage. cause 17 games into his career the pats knew what they had in brady: a guy who could win a super bowl.

foles is a guy who put up a nice string of stats for twelve games and now youre making crazy claims and poor metaphors invoking marino to dilfer comparisons.

i mean if you're gonna rattle off names like brady manning marino and rodgers at least have the balls to say you think foles is a future hall of famer. by playing both sides it seems like youre trying to convince yourself of something you really dont believe to be true. or at least severely hedging your bets.
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #27
Drama Queen

BTW, my logic doesn't suggest that Drew Stanton should start because he lead Arizona to a 4-1 record as a starter.

Last edited by Drama Queen; 02-09-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #28
Greenstealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen View Post
You don't have a specific answer on how to improve the QB position? You're the one that brought it up.
I do have an answer. I already said through the draft or free agency. Who? That's not up to me. I personally don't know who chip thinks this offense would work best with, I don't think it's foles. Good enough or do you want to go a little farther sideways from where the thread started?
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:45 PM  
Posted in reply to J_Cuz31's post starting "not so fast there. youre contradicting..."
harls

Quote:
not so fast there. youre contradicting yourself big time. you cant say that 'we dont know what we have' and then state that he is better than brady was at this stage. cause 17 games into his career the pats knew what they had in brady: a guy who could win a super bowl.

foles is a guy who put up a nice string of stats for twelve games and now youre making crazy claims and poor metaphors invoking marino to dilfer comparisons.

i mean if you're gonna rattle off names like brady manning marino and rodgers at least have the balls to say you think foles is a future hall of famer. by playing both sides it seems like youre trying to convince yourself of something you really dont believe to be true. or at least severely hedging your bets.
No I am not saying he is a future hall of famer. Ian not saying he will even be good. What's am saying is there are some great QBs that started out around the same or worse than foles. I don't understand how so many people look at foles and think we need an upgrade when most QBs in the nfl need time to grow.

Brady's first super bowl he went 17 for 29 and 145 yards with1 td. You look at that and say Brady won that game. I say it was a team effort. The team effort is why dilfer has a ring and Marino don't.
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #30
Greenstealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen View Post
BTW, my logic doesn't suggest that Drew Stanton should start because he lead Arizona to a 4-1 record as a starter.
Have we seen Foles around a good cast? Around a bad cast? ... And what were the results besides "W's"?

Logic? I'd rather discuss this with you than read an iowa draft thread but this is getting old

Last edited by Greenstealth; 02-09-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Unread 02-09-2015, 09:52 PM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post starting "I do have an answer. I already said..."
Drama Queen

You were the one that made the "why get better at QB" comment. If you don't have a specific suggestion, then that's fine. Maybe you haven't boned up on what's out there and the value and risk associated with these players.

I was taught in the business world that if you were going to bring up a problem (or bitch about one), then you better come with a specific solution. I realize that doesn't have to apply here.

I think Foles beats out the competition, whoever that may be. There will always be competition, but at this point I don't see Chip bringing in the kind of competition that the Foles detractors want to see. Too much cost and too much risk.

Foles is the QB in 2015 and the story will play itself out by the end of the season.

Whatever Chip does, he's on the hot set now. No more wondering about who screwed up particular picks in the draft.
Unread 02-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #32
Greenstealth

They have to try to get better than Foles. Whether it's a flyer on Hundley in a later round, or trading up and getting mm, or trying to fix Locker. It's either that or Foles improves a lot. You'll notice even from the interview when he was at Az that he was going to fix that problematic footwork thing. It's been a while since Az. I agree with you, Foles is starting '15. I'm not a believer, maybe he changes my mind.

Last edited by Greenstealth; 02-10-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Unread 02-10-2015, 09:05 AM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post starting "They have to try to get better than..."
Drama Queen

Locker makes sense. I don't know about his decision process as a QB, but he's athletic and has an NFL good arm. You can't teach Barkley and Sanchez arm strength.
Unread 02-10-2015, 10:10 AM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post starting "They have to try to get better than..."
harls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstealth View Post
They have to try to get better than Foles. Whether it's a flyer on Hundley in a later round, or trading up and getting mm, or trying to fix Locker. It's either that or Foles improves a lot. You'll notice even from the interview when he was at Az that he was going to fix that problematic footwork thing. It's been a while since Az. I agree with you, Foles is starting '15. I'm not a believer, maybe he changes my mind.
Bringing in a guy in a late round or free agency is fine. Trading up for a guy and ignoring the holes on the team to try to fix a possible hole with a probable bust is foolish.
Unread 02-10-2015, 12:08 PM  
Posted in reply to harls's post starting "Bringing in a guy in a late round or..."
J_Cuz31

without knowing who they would draft, sign or trade for you cant just say its foolish. foles severely regressed last season. to provide him with less competition than he had last season in sanchez would be more foolish. it obviously doesnt make sense to mortgage the future to get a highly regarded prospect but this team needs to know that it has other options if the downward spiral continues.
Unread 02-10-2015, 01:40 PM  
Posted in reply to J_Cuz31's post starting "without knowing who they would draft,..."
Melchior

Quote:
without knowing who they would draft, sign or trade for you cant just say its foolish. foles severely regressed last season. to provide him with less competition than he had last season in sanchez would be more foolish. it obviously doesnt make sense to mortgage the future to get a highly regarded prospect but this team needs to know that it has other options if the downward spiral continues.
Like who? Sanchez is the best FA QB out there and any later round QB is going to have to sit for at least a season before they offer Foles any kind of competition.
Unread 02-10-2015, 08:56 PM  
Posted in reply to J_Cuz31's post starting "without knowing who they would draft,..."
harls

Quote:
I did not say it would be foolish to bring someone in. I said it would be foolish to trade up for a QB.
Unread 02-11-2015, 02:22 AM  
iowaigglefan

iowaigglefan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CLUE

OFFENSE IS NOT THIS TEAMS PROBLEM
iowaigglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM  
Posted in reply to iowaigglefan's post "CLUE"
Greenstealth

Default Clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaigglefan View Post
OFFENSE IS NOT THIS TEAMS PROBLEM
Making blanket statements like "the eagles scored x amount of points last year" without realizing that they led the league in non offensive tds makes you look like an idiot. Clue. Maybe the defense doesn't look like total garbage by the end of the year if the offense is more efficient. They need to get better on both sides.
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:48 AM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post "Clue"
Sect 236

I think it's pretty simple. If Foles plays as poorly as he did for some stretches last year, it doesn't matter how much the Eagles improve on D, they won't be true contenders.

Can they improve the D and win with Foles playing solid football? Absolutely, but at times last year, solid football was about the last thing I'd say Foles was playing.

After some of the arguments I've heard for Foles, it appears the entire OL has to be healthy all season, the running game needs to average 160 yards per game, every single WR needs to have career years AND the defense has to be top 10 for Foles to lead the team to a Super Bowl.

I don't necessarily think that is true, but it is the majority of the arguments made for why Foles didn't succeed. If it is true, I'm sorry, third year as a starter or no, I'm moving on from a QB who needs that much to go right just for him to be good enough.
Sect 236 is offline   Reply With Quote