IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 03-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
rothdawg

rothdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT: Is anyone still into College Hoops?

Granted the Eagles winning the SB has made this offseason different than any others, but there used to be a lot of College Basketball threads this time of year. I'm sure the 1 or 2 Villanova fans are still into it, as well as they should be.

I didn't watch it all this year. I think Fran Dunphy running Temple into the ground had a lot to do with it, but just in general I'm not interested. I think the one and done rule really did a number on the product. It used to be my favorite!
rothdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
McCarthy12

McCarthy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not nearly as much as I used to be. The one and done stuff did me in. There's little continuity in the lineups year to year. I enjoyed watching players develop and teams gel over the course of a few years. Still love the tournament but I'm not as juiced up for that even.

For my money, the NBA product is much better right now. Best players in the world. Better story lines. And as a TV product, the studio shows are fantastic.
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:31 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "Not nearly as much as I used to be. ..."
Kelly Pat

Gonna be an interesting tournament this year. No dominant team
Kelly Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM  
Posted in reply to Kelly Pat's post starting "Gonna be an interesting tournament this..."
Kelly Pat

Of course im pullin for my home state. Lets go Vols!
Kelly Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Diggle

Diggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think Temple is gonna shit-can Dunphy? I hope so
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:38 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "Not nearly as much as I used to be. ..."
rothdawg

Yeah the NBA is great. I cannot wait for the playoffs, Houston vs Golden State is going to be an alltimer.
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:42 PM  
Posted in reply to Diggle's post starting "Do you think Temple is gonna shit-can..."
rothdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggle View Post
Do you think Temple is gonna shit-can Dunphy? I hope so
I wish, but I don't think so. They owe him 4.5 million over the next 3 years, and he's not going to walk away from that. The Temple athletic program put all their money into Football and it isn't generating revenue. So they can't eat a contract like that. Basketball program is cooked.
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM  
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

agreed on all counts. i like the tournament but it's great bad basketball. NBA playoffs are much higher quality. still, i can't get into regular season basketball. but i'm basic and the NFL league whose regular season i watch if one of my teams isn't playing.

nice signature btw!

edit: as to roth's point, the eagles SB victory has definitely changed things. other sports used to be a holdover. i tried watching the ACC title game and the spurs @ OKC on saturday. couldn't get into it, and i think the SB victory had a bit to do with that.

-Dominic Rhodes

Last edited by art vandelay; 03-12-2018 at 12:46 PM.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
JuTMSY4

I like Penn vs. Kansas. Opened at -15, down to -14 already. I expect that game to actually be competitive.

Hopefully I will get geighbacked as well.
JuTMSY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "agreed on all counts. i like the..."
McCarthy12

McCarthy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha thanks!

Yeah, I think there is something to that. Less of a sense of urgency with sports since the SB.
Unread 03-12-2018, 01:46 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "agreed on all counts. i like the..."
rothdawg

It’s JV basketball for sure. I’ve gotten the sense that more people just don’t care about it as much, but I thought maybe it was because I root for Temple.
Unread 03-12-2018, 01:46 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "Ha thanks! Yeah, I think there is..."
udontknowme

I'm much less turned off by the one and done as much as I am at the blatant exploitation of the players. Every time I watch, and as the events & TV money continue to get bigger, and I realize these kids are playing for next to nothing and everyone else is getting paid, sort of makes me sick to my stomach. Can't even sign their own name and get paid. I hope and pray for the day one of these teams or star players refuses to come out of the lockeroom for a giant march madness game or bowl game.
udontknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothdawg View Post
Granted the Eagles winning the SB has made this offseason different than any others, but there used to be a lot of College Basketball threads this time of year. I'm sure the 1 or 2 Villanova fans are still into it, as well as they should be.

I didn't watch it all this year. I think Fran Dunphy running Temple into the ground had a lot to do with it, but just in general I'm not interested. I think the one and done rule really did a number on the product. It used to be my favorite!
Hate it, Hate March Madness here is a sport nobody can name 5 players in and they all leave after 1 year.
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Snakebitten

I love March Madness. I expect a future Sixer could be in there somewhere (Either Bridges, Knox, Smith, Sexton, Young, Walker, Williams).
Snakebitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
JuTMSY4

Default impolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebitten View Post
I love March Madness. I expect a future Sixer could be in there somewhere (Either Bridges, Knox, Smith, Sexton, Young, Walker, Williams).
haha
Unread 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothdawg View Post

Eagles winning the SB and Terps under achieving this season have quelled my interest. I'll likely have games on in the background this weekend but I'm not that in tune with things.

I think it should be a pretty open tournament though - there don't seem to be any teams heads and shoulders above the others.

I agree with the sentiment as well that the disparity between compensation for schools/coaches and players in the NCAA is wearing on me more and more.

The recent scandals bother me not because the players were getting paid but because this secret bullshit has to go on for them to be paid.
Unread 03-12-2018, 03:18 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "Eagles winning the SB and Terps under..."
JuTMSY4

I think the only way things fundamentally change is if the FBI brings the whole thing to a halt.

There's a lot of interesting proposals. One obvious one is to let players make money of their likenesses. That seems easy enough.

I'd like to see the NCAA contribute a sum of revenue into a trust fund to be saved to pay future claims/medical benefits/insurance on players and then release a certain sum (not sure of amounts) to the players to be shared or perhaps given to teams to spend towards players like a salary cap. I'd be fine with doing to salary distribution on a conference level so that the Power 5 can rule their keep.

I have to imagine this is just legalizing a system that already exists.
Unread 03-12-2018, 05:39 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "Eagles winning the SB and Terps under..."
rothdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpEagle View Post
Eagles winning the SB and Terps under achieving this season have quelled my interest. I'll likely have games on in the background this weekend but I'm not that in tune with things.

I think it should be a pretty open tournament though - there don't seem to be any teams heads and shoulders above the others.

I agree with the sentiment as well that the disparity between compensation for schools/coaches and players in the NCAA is wearing on me more and more.

The recent scandals bother me not because the players were getting paid but because this secret bullshit has to go on for them to be paid.
I agree with this, and everything about the NCAA pisses me off.
Unread 03-12-2018, 05:50 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "I think the only way things..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
I think the only way things fundamentally change is if the FBI brings the whole thing to a halt.

There's a lot of interesting proposals. One obvious one is to let players make money of their likenesses. That seems easy enough.

I'd like to see the NCAA contribute a sum of revenue into a trust fund to be saved to pay future claims/medical benefits/insurance on players and then release a certain sum (not sure of amounts) to the players to be shared or perhaps given to teams to spend towards players like a salary cap. I'd be fine with doing to salary distribution on a conference level so that the Power 5 can rule their keep.

I have to imagine this is just legalizing a system that already exists.
The likeness is the one I think needs and can happen soon.

Conference based caps would be interesting but I think that'll run into snags with conference re-alignment and money/expectation disparity within conferences themselves.

Ohio State and Northwestern aren't going to want to allocate the same amount of resources to their on-field talent. I don't see how the higher revenue earning school will be ok with profit sharing if it directly relates to talent.

Maybe a soft cap would work or limited profit sharing for compensation to players but one that can be exceeded by rich athletic departments.

One argument against this is that the good school will pay for all the talent. Well, they get it already so I don't know how much that will matter but it could be exacerbated.

Also, what's the effect on post-season play and championships.

Basketball at least has a tournament system that is somewhat less arbitrary in determining who the top team is and who gets to participate since the field is larger.

But overall, the push for a NATIONAL CHAMPION has probably made profit sharing harder at the collegiate level. If things were like European football, you'd have multiple leagues and winning that league is near paramount with effectively an additional/alternate season for a cross-league winner.

IMO, it seems highly unlikely for American football to follow that model or even be able to. Perhaps it would work for other sports.

In the end, what I think will work (or have to work) is just letting the school pay players based on what the market demands. There are too many teams and tiers to force a cap.
Unread 03-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
Sect 236

Been following Lonnie Walker’s career throughout high school and now at The U, so I’ll be watching the Canes. Like Roth, the shitshow that Dunph has turned Temple into has soured me a bit.
Sect 236 is offline   Reply With Quote