IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 03-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
The Duck

Default I hope Minnesota gets Brees

Long shot, but possible. If Cousins (AZ or Jets) and Keenum (Denver) fly off the board on Day 1 and New Orleans loses Brees, Howie has the Saints right where he wants them. They cannot replace a legend with Sam Bradford of AJ McCarron going into a season where they have legit Super Bowl hopes -- And they're not drafting a rookie.

They'll have one option, and only one.
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 10:30 PM  
Posted in reply to The Duck's post "I hope Minnesota gets Brees"
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, idk man. that makes the vikes better and the saints remain contenders, possibly for a long time. i would never consider trading foles, who i think is a better version of keenum, to the vikes. i wouldn't feel better about trading him to the saints, much less in this scenario.

i don't think cousins is that good, but he could be good enough to get a team like the vikings a SB. ideal situation is either that the vikes overpay and he's a bust, or he goes to the broncos or jets and the vikings are screwed at QB. but an alternative that's good for two NFC teams...i don't like that at all.

-Dominic Rhodes
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2018, 10:58 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "yeah, idk man. that makes the vikes..."
The Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
yeah, idk man. that makes the vikes better and the saints remain contenders, possibly for a long time. i would never consider trading foles, who i think is a better version of keenum, to the vikes. i wouldn't feel better about trading him to the saints, much less in this scenario.

i don't think cousins is that good, but he could be good enough to get a team like the vikings a SB. ideal situation is either that the vikes overpay and he's a bust, or he goes to the broncos or jets and the vikings are screwed at QB. but an alternative that's good for two NFC teams...i don't like that at all.
I think the money it would require to get Brees to Minnesota would hurt them long term. Brees was good in the second half of the divisional round, but he was looking his age for long stretches last season and relying heavily on that running game (which, granted, Minnesota will also have if Cook comes back 100%).

Foles wouldn't make the Saints that much better than they already were. And what they'd have to give up to get him would also hurt them long term.

The road next season would probably be tougher. But beyond that, I think we'd have a chance to gain a clear advantage by capitalizing on on both teams' desperation for a QB.

There's next to no chance of this happening. Just an interesting hypothetical that occurred to me today.
Unread 03-12-2018, 11:07 PM  
Posted in reply to The Duck's post starting "I think the money it would require to..."
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

brees would only be in minnesota for a season or two. brett favre 2.0. the money wouldn't hurt them long term. making cousins the highest paid player in football would would be another story.

drew brees was also great in the wild card round, led the league in completion % and yards/attempt. his numbers weren't as gaudy as in prior seasons because they had things like a running game and a defense that actually allowed them to win games.

foles wouldn't make the saints better than they already are, but he could keep them good for the next 5-8 years. he could also fall back to his average, but he'd be in a great situation.

-Dominic Rhodes
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #5
The Duck

Favre was on the street. With Brees, the Vikings have to significantly outbid the Saints to get him... he's not leaving New Orleans for the frozen wasteland to take a 2 year/$56M contract. It would have to be an extraordinary deal for any of this to happen, and it would significantly hinder Minnesota's ability to get better while he's there. And after that, they'd be back to the drawing board.

In my entirely improbable model, the benefits of getting a massive overpay for Foles from a desperate Saints team would outweigh the risk of the Vikings being too much to handle.
Unread 03-13-2018, 07:58 AM  
Posted in reply to The Duck's post "I hope Minnesota gets Brees"
BIG JAY

BIG JAY is an unknown quantity at this point

I want the Vikes to miss out on Cousins (Jets) and Brees (Saints)...they will have to give Bridgewater a financial apology...unless they trade for Foles.

Last edited by BIG JAY; 03-13-2018 at 07:59 AM.
BIG JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 08:27 AM  
Posted in reply to BIG JAY's post starting "I want the Vikes to miss out on Cousins..."
Pete

Default Being reported

That Brees and NO agreed to a 2 year deal
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 09:09 AM  
Posted in reply to Pete's post "Being reported"
JuTMSY4

Default it's a bit of a forgone conclusion but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That Brees and NO agreed to a 2 year deal
it's apparently "deep discussions." Probable done by the end of today for Saints' cap reasons.
JuTMSY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 09:12 AM  
Posted in reply to Pete's post "Being reported"
RSE
Señor Counsel

The Vikings almost have to sign Cousins now. The Jets picking at 6 can draft a quarterback. The Vikings are fucked if the Jets sign Cousins. Bridgewater will be back.
Unread 03-13-2018, 09:41 AM  
Posted in reply to RSE's post starting "The Vikings almost have to sign Cousins..."
Spartan92

Don't forget Arizona and Buffalo are in desperate need of a QB as well
Spartan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 09:48 AM  
Posted in reply to Spartan92's post starting "Don't forget Arizona and Buffalo are in..."
JuTMSY4

Default Buffalo just moved up to 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan92 View Post
Don't forget Arizona and Buffalo are in desperate need of a QB as well
I'm sure they're calling the Giants now with 12 and 22 in tow.
Unread 03-13-2018, 09:56 AM  
Posted in reply to Spartan92's post starting "Don't forget Arizona and Buffalo are in..."
RSE
Señor Counsel

Buffalo is drafting a QB.
Unread 03-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
JuTMSY4

and there it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...0-million-deal
Unread 03-13-2018, 10:16 AM  
Posted in reply to RSE's post starting "Buffalo is drafting a QB."
The Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSE View Post
Buffalo is drafting a QB.
They'll get a FA too. McCown makes a lot of sense if you're drafting one of these kids.
Unread 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM  
Posted in reply to The Duck's post starting "I think the money it would require to..."
TRENT

TRENT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Think Drew is staying Put

Id be shocked if he moved,,,if would be NO moving on from him,,,not the other ways around,,,I haven't been paying to close attention to the offseason