de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dougie's obsession with Sproles

Now seems surprisingly justified.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Maniac

Maniac is an unknown quantity at this point

If it was a five game season, Sproles would have a lot of value.
Unread 01-02-2019, 01:44 PM  
Posted in reply to Maniac's post starting "If it was a five game season, Sproles..."
art vandelay
de Madrid

Was it ultimately worth it to bring him back? I thought it was a questionable decision even before he got hurt, but lately he's played his best football since 2014 and he sadly brings more to the table than our other RBs.

They still made the playoffs and Sproles was a huge part of the Houston game. Signing Sproles didn't really keep them from bringing anyone else in, so I think it was worth it.
Unread 01-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
McCarthy12

McCarthy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is right. Certainly didn't hurt them roster-wise. He was a huge factor in the Houston win. That was worth the roster spot itself.

I do think it says more about the other running backs, though. This offense would be fantastic with a guy who could reliably get you 4 yards on 1st down. Kinda like last year.
Unread 01-02-2019, 02:36 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "I think this is right. Certainly..."
art vandelay
de Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy12 View Post
I think this is right. Certainly didn't hurt them roster-wise. He was a huge factor in the Houston win. That was worth the roster spot itself.

I do think it says more about the other running backs, though. This offense would be fantastic with a guy who could reliably get you 4 yards on 1st down. Kinda like last year.
Yeah, these are the worst Eagles RBs since 2000. RBs are generally replaceable but 2018 was a rare case where RB should have been a priority over WR at the deadline. Howie probably did prioritize RB, but ultimately it would have been ridiculous to give what Buffalo wanted for McCoy and outbidding other teams for the likes of Carlos Hyde wasn't worth it either.

I'd imagine the RBs next year will be Clement, Smallwood, and Adams plus a relatively early draft pick, but none of the current guys are guaranteed a roster spot. I think Smallwood might actually be better than Clement as an RB but they seem to like what Clement brings to STs.
Unread 01-02-2019, 02:51 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "Yeah, these are the worst Eagles RBs..."
JuTMSY4

Default I'm not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post

I'd imagine the RBs next year will be Clement, Smallwood, and Adams plus a relatively early draft pick, but none of the current guys are guaranteed a roster spot. I think Smallwood might actually be better than Clement as an RB but they seem to like what Clement brings to STs.
all three of those guys are back. If the Clement season-long injury rumor is true, he'll definitely be back, but he was really poor in pass pro after being surprisingly solid last season.

Smallwood and Adams are duplicative talent-wise and I could see them bringing sproles back. I do think they'll add a back in the mid-rounds 3-6.
JuTMSY4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2019, 03:28 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post "I'm not sure"
BigSlizz
2014 IGGLEPHANS SUICIDE POOL CHAMPION

BigSlizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Smallwood, Adams and Clement can all go as far as I'm concerned. One probably sticks around just because a complete flip at the position is unrealistic.
Unread 01-02-2019, 04:19 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post "I'm not sure"
art vandelay
de Madrid

I didn't know that Clement's injury could keep him out that long. Smallwood has been decent lately but he had fallen out of favor before Clement went down. Adams had some good games before he fumbled against Houston, and I think he'll probably stick around since his style is different from that of Clement/Smallwood. If a guy gets cut it's probably Smallwood.

Don't they have an extra 2nd in 2019? I wouldn't be opposed to them going RB that early. A dynamic RB needs to be a priority, and when you get into the 3rd and 4th rounds, the RBs are similar to what they already have - good for what the OL gets them.

Edit: as far as Sproles goes, they just can't rely on him for a 15th season.

Last edited by art vandelay; 01-02-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Unread 01-02-2019, 05:01 PM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "I didn't know that Clement's injury..."
JuTMSY4

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
I didn't know that Clement's injury could keep him out that long.
the rumor is clement has been hurt this entire season before he went on IR and that's why he's been so mediocre. He should be ready to go next season based on everything I've seen.
JuTMSY4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2019, 05:30 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post "Sorry"
art vandelay
de Madrid

Oh yeah. He totally wasn't right this year. I think it was the Indy game where he played through injury because otherwise they would have only had 2 RBs active.
Unread 01-02-2019, 02:56 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "I think this is right. Certainly..."
Snakebitten

I am very confident this offensive line can make an average RB look good. I am also very confident none of these RBs are that good. They need to draft a RB and get a lower end free agent next year. I want a RB that will make this team have to run the ball.
Snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
McCarthy12

Yeah I don't think they need Barry Sanders, but they need something better than what they have now. Seem to be able to steal decent RB's in the middle rounds of the draft these days.
Unread 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "Yeah I don't think they need Barry..."
Snakebitten

I never want a one workhorse back. I want a running back by committee. I know I say it a lot but I like the way New England does it. Follow their blueprint like we did last season. They always know the importance of having a good running game to protect Brady especially in the colder months.
Unread 01-02-2019, 03:15 PM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I never want a one workhorse back. I..."
McCarthy12

Committee is fine but there's a difference between a committee of Ajayi, Blount and Clement and a committee of Smallwood, Adams and Sproles.

Somewhere in between would be just fine.
Unread 01-02-2019, 03:33 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "Committee is fine but there's a..."
Snakebitten

Adams, Smallwood and Sproles (AKA A.S.S.) need to go next year. Sproles looks better because the others are so blah. They need to totally overhaul this position in the off-season.
Unread 01-02-2019, 04:28 PM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I never want a one workhorse back. I..."
Drama Queen

Drama Queen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yes I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebitten View Post
I never want a one workhorse back. I want a running back by committee. I know I say it a lot but I like the way New England does it. Follow their blueprint like we did last season. They always know the importance of having a good running game to protect Brady especially in the colder months.
Follow the blueprint and do it better
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post "Yes I agree"
slag

slag is an unknown quantity at this point

So, at the risk of putting words in your mouth, you (and Snake) would not want Barkley, McCoy or Elliott?

EDITED TO ADD:

Oh yeah ... forgot Gurley.

Last edited by slag; 01-03-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling
slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2019, 08:52 AM  
Posted in reply to slag's post starting "So, at the risk of putting words in..."
Snakebitten

I want nothing to do with McCoy. I prefer they not overspend for the position including never taking a RB in the first round (unless it's a really late first pick and the options are limited) and certainly not paying them what a Le'Veon Bell will get.

Belichick knows the importance of having a lead back, split back and now even a fullback. His teams always could run and they didn't need the big names to do it (Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon, Stevan Ridley, LeGarrette Blount, Kevin Faulk, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden, Shane Vereen, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, James White, and Sony Michel). He also knows the importance of having good TEs that helps the run game.

It's no coincidence the Eagles won a championship with a team that looks very similar to New England.
Unread 01-03-2019, 09:06 AM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I want nothing to do with McCoy. I..."
slag

slag is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not so sure that RB by committee is the key to New England's success or Super Bowl victories in general.

I think the predominance of RB by committee is the allocation of money position that you prefer.

However, if you get the right guy you can win with a feature back ... Seattle did it once and would have won two if they used the fucker at the end of the game against the team with the model you like.
Unread 01-03-2019, 09:26 AM  
Posted in reply to slag's post starting "I'm not so sure that RB by committee is..."
Snakebitten

Brady and Belichick will always be the key to their success but the rest of their blueprint works, also. If they can find a Kamara, Conner, or Hunt (minus the violence) in the later rounds, I'm all for it. Let them play through their rookie contract, top it with a Howie special extension towards the end, then let them walk.

Some people like offenses that look like the Steelers (Brown and Bell). Some people like teams that look like the Patriots (Bunch of white guys and journeymen RBs). I'll take the team that consistently beats the team with the 'names'. Don't get me wrong, I know Brown is better than Edelman. I just prefer players that put their team before themselves and I also like the depth.

Last edited by Snakebitten; 01-03-2019 at 09:27 AM.