Starting to have a sinking feeling dream team will pick Geno Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
    Saw him play against Texas he came up big in a big spot there. I know he had some rough games down the stretch but he completes a lot of passes and I think he is right around where Sam Bradford was in talent when he came out for the draft. So to say he isn't worth a high first is as ridiculous as to say he is a sure-fire bust.

IMO last years record crop of QBs is clouding everyone's judgement on what to expect from a high first round QB prospect.
    I'm sorry, but when did Sam Bradford become a franchise QB?

Comment

My argument is a bit different: If Bradford was worth the first pick in the draft and $80 million then Geno Smith is worth the fourth pick in the draft and $23 million.

It's simple economics at the most important position in football because even if you guys are right, and Smith is not an NFL starter, it is still impossible for him to have the same effect on a franchise that Jamarcus Russell did simply because of the differentiation in contract amounts.

At $23 million Geno Smith is worth the risk without blinking an eye. So the only variable it the Eagles sacrificing their 2013 first round pick. IMO that is also worth it because any player they pick at four could be a bust and I'd rather them take a shot on a QB for the next ten years than any other position.
      "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMIN EAGLE View Post
        I'm sorry, but when did Sam Bradford become a franchise QB?
        So the Eagles should not draft a QB unless they are dead certain he is the next Andrew Luck? That's just so idiotic I can't believe I'm wasting the time typing a response. Bradford is a quality QB capable of leading his team to the playoffs. If you're holding out for the next five-time Pro Bowler you're gonna see a lot of losses over the next four five seasons.

Comment

He's not quite there yet, but you're ignoring most of the facts here. Outside of Amendola, Small and Johnson would look like TO and Moss compared to the guys he has to throw to. He's had three offensive coordinators in three seasons, and got injured behind an invisible OL his second season.

He's protection and a go-to WR away from being Matt Ryan.
          -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
            He's protection and a go-to WR away from being Matt Ryan.
            The general consensus on this board is if the Eagles aren't getting the next Peyton Manning they should ignore the most important position on the football field until they are lucky enough to obtain the next Peyton Manning.

I don't get it either but the group-think at work here is eerily similar to the illogical rhetoric that led to radio hosts, newspaper articles and rabid fans booing the selection of Donovan McNabb 15 years ago.

Comment

I don't want him either. I don't want any QB in the first 3 rounds of this draft to be honest. None of them I'm confident are better than Foles. That's saying a lot.

All have huge bust potential.

Comment

We'll see what The Dream Team does, but.....

BWAHAHA! DREAM TEAM!

Comment

Ding Ding Ding

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                  So the Eagles should not draft a QB unless they are dead certain he is the next Andrew Luck? That's just so idiotic I can't believe I'm wasting the time typing a response. Bradford is a quality QB capable of leading his team to the playoffs. If you're holding out for the next five-time Pro Bowler you're gonna see a lot of losses over the next four five seasons.
                  Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. If teh guy can't play than he can't play. I especially dont want to risk taking a guy who moost likely will turn out to be a bust at the #4 spot. This team has far too many holes to fill and I dont want them getting cute with the #4 overall pick. Bradford sucks, and when did it become acceptable to "Almost make teh Playoffs?" Take that thinking to San Diego where football is an afterthought.

Comment

Nobody can tell me Smith isn't more pro ready than McNabb was.

Comment

The Rams suck ... there's a difference.
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I would try but you'd probably turn me inside out.

IMHO, McNabb's potential and playmaking ability put him head and shoulders above Smith coming out. Smith doesn't have anywhere close to McNabb's play making ability with his feet. Nowhere near the athlete.

Akili Smith II? I feel he's closer to that than anything else. At BEST I think he might be another Byron Leftwich. McNabb I sensed greatness in him and wanted him badly at the 2nd overall pick. Smith terrifies me. So does Jarvis Jones.
                        Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

pffftt

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                          .... McNabb I sensed greatness in him and wanted him badly at the 2nd overall pick.
                          Obviously you sensed wrong.
                          "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

McNabb was an athlete trying to play quarterback. Smith is a quarterback.

Comment

At the end of the day, if this team wins a SB with Geno Smith, no one's going to care that "he didn't deserve to go in the top 5." If you think he's the guy, then you take him.

I'd like to see them find a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and pick up Fisher or Floyd with #4. I'm just not sold on taking Milliner at 4.
                              "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Mcnabb was a great athlete and QB. Always had the "it" factor from day 1 at cuse.

Smith doesn't seem to possess the nuts to man up when his back is against the wall. Guy scares me.
                                Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X