• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI, After Basketball

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...87f_story.html

Interesting , but sad story...

One positive tid-bit:

A person close to Iverson, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that half of the Reebok trust [30 mil], established as Iverson’s rainy-day fund, was transferred to Tawanna as part of their divorce settlement. Tawanna’s attorney, John Mayoue, would not comment, and attempts to reach Tawanna for additional comment were unsuccessful.

After everything, Moore said, Iverson loves his children “more than life” and still has feelings for Tawanna.

Unfortunate but well worth reading. AI was clearly an alcoholic. Not an easy disease to beat especially considering how successful he was. Tough to settle for a less exciting sobriety. Don't see a happy ending.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

i don't think i realized how much of an alcoholic AI was. amazing that he was able to stay in the shape that he did and play all those minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
        i don't think i realized how much of an alcoholic AI was. amazing that he was able to stay in the shape that he did and play all those minutes.
        an exceptional athelete can get away with it for a while. look at mickey mantle.

but imagine if either of them was clean and sober.

Comment

Surrounded by enablers.

His posse. Sixers management. Both wanted what they could take from the guy and the hell with getting him help as long as he was functioning for the team and making it rain for his friends. Jerry a distraction, Bubbachuck? We'll trade him away. Don't want to learn how to distribute the ball? We'll surround you with role players that won't bitch when you hog the ball. Just keep putting up points and filling the seats, AI. Everything is ok.

Buddy Ryan did it the right way with Chris Carter. He did the straight up right thing by Chris and a career and life was turned around. Perhaps even saved.
          John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
            His posse. Sixers management. Both wanted what they could take from the guy and the hell with getting him help as long as he was functioning for the team and making it rain for his friends. Jerry a distraction, Bubbachuck? We'll trade him away. Don't want to learn how to distribute the ball? We'll surround you with role players that won't bitch when you hog the ball. Just keep putting up points and filling the seats, AI. Everything is ok.

Buddy Ryan did it the right way with Chris Carter. He did the straight up right thing by Chris and a career and life was turned around. Perhaps even saved.
            Yeah lets put the blame on everyone else except where it belongs.
            When does Iverson take resposibility for his actions?

This is his fault. I don't feel sorry for him in the least. He is nothing but a thug who could play basketball. I knew long ago he would never win a championship. He had no respect for his talent, his teammates, the team that paid his salary, the league, or the game.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9518 View Post
              Yeah lets put the blame on everyone else except where it belongs.
              When does Iverson take resposibility for his actions?

This is his fault. I don't feel sorry for him in the least. He is nothing but a thug who could play basketball. I knew long ago he would never win a championship. He had no respect for his talent, his teammates, the team that paid his salary, the league, or the game.
              That's harsh. The leagues (NBA & NFL especially) need to make a collective effort to better educate these players on how to handle their money. It really is sad what happens to these guys when they start to make more money than they've ever seen in their lives and don't know how to manage it. They blow it all away, people use them, etc, and by the time they're out of the league they have little money in the bank, if any, to fall back on. I loved AI and do feel bad for him, it's not ALL his fault, he really didn't have anyone to point him in the right direction. He single handedly gave this city some of the best basketball we've seen in awhile...
              Last edited by ishimonster; 04-22-2013, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
                That's harsh. The leagues (NBA & NFL especially) need to make a collective effort to better educate these players on how to handle their money. It really is sad what happens to these guys when they start to make more money than they've ever seen in their lives and don't know how to manage it. They blow it all away, people use them, etc, and by the time they're out of the league they have little money in the bank, if any, to fall back on. I loved AI and do feel bad for him, it's not ALL his fault, he really didn't have anyone to point him in the right direction. He single handedly gave this city some of the best basketball we've seen in awhile...
                It's not harsh. The NBA and NFL have classes for rookies to educate them on different things. Iverson chose not to listen just like he chose not to listen to his coaches. You think Croce didn't try to guide him? Iverson didn't listen because he had no respect for anything. This is all his fault.
                I feel bad for a guy like David Akers who tried to do the right thing with his money but got caught up in a scam.

Comment

He had some horrific moments in AC

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                  I witnessed one and heard countless stories.

It's a shame, guy could have been one of the alltime greats.
                  Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                  May 7, 2010

Comment

Read up on Mickey Mantle and then tell me why he's idolized while Iverson gets slammed. Although its not really that hard to figure out.

Iverson definitely could have won a title if the Sixers had ever found the right player inside to complement him. They almost did anyway.

Cant compare Chris Carter. He didn't fill seats.

The Sixers were shtt before AI and have pretty much shtt since.

Its a shame about the alcoholism. Thats a disease not a bad attitude.

Comment

Working...
                    X