Not sure I understand this Matt Barkley thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure I understand this Matt Barkley thing

He doesn't seem to be the right fit for Chip Kelly's offense. The guy isn't a running QB. I'm not crazy about this guy. I guess I'm going on the game they played against Syracuse a couple of years ago where they exposed some of his weaknesses. (one of Matt's worst games) The one thing I do like about the guy is his toughness. He doesn't seem to get rattled AT ALL. Kinda has that Tom Brady quality where he just pops back up like a robot like nothing happened after he gets hammered. He also can throw ALL the throws. You won't see any rifled worm-burners at a receiver that's 7 yards away. Nice touch. He also looks great in the red zone. He made a big mistake staying in school because SC's offensive line was sh*t last year and it hurt Barkley's stock. Oh yeah, his footwork is real nice. Very fluid into his drop (I guess that's a testament to his mental toughness because he just doesn't seem to get happy feet) and he knows how to slide and avoid people and kep his eyes downfield AND he's not taking off (which I LOVE). Stay in there and be a QB. He could be good, but Kelly will have to adjust.

Kelly will have to adjust what? We know nothing about his NFL offense other than that he said it will revolve around his personnel.

I look at the Barkley pick for what it was - a value pick for the time it was made. If they just spent a 4h rounder on their backup QB for this next generation of Eagles football, it was well worth it.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
      He doesn't seem to be the right fit for Chip Kelly's offense. The guy isn't a running QB. I'm not crazy about this guy. I guess I'm going on the game they played against Syracuse a couple of years ago where they exposed some of his weaknesses. (one of Matt's worst games) The one thing I do like about the guy is his toughness. He doesn't seem to get rattled AT ALL. Kinda has that Tom Brady quality where he just pops back up like a robot like nothing happened after he gets hammered. He also can throw ALL the throws. You won't see any rifled worm-burners at a receiver that's 7 yards away. Nice touch. He also looks great in the red zone. He made a big mistake staying in school because SC's offensive line was sh*t last year and it hurt Barkley's stock. Oh yeah, his footwork is real nice. Very fluid into his drop (I guess that's a testament to his mental toughness because he just doesn't seem to get happy feet) and he knows how to slide and avoid people and kep his eyes downfield AND he's not taking off (which I LOVE). Stay in there and be a QB. He could be good, but Kelly will have to adjust.
      I think he's just trying to collect talent. He's said all along Vick and Foles would be competing and he didn't need a really mobile guy at quarterback. I guess we can take him at his word, then.

I believe Kelly viewed renegotiating Vick's deal as low risk/high reward. If the problem for Vick has been Reid's system and play-calling, then why not see if the dude can work in his system?

As for Barkley, will be interesting to see how his arm looks in the preseason. Sort of have to think the injury is what scared teams off.

-AE

Comment

none of us have seen chip kelly's NFL offense yet, have we?

settle down.

Comment

Not that I think they had it in mind when they did it, but IMO it was easier to take a shot at Barkely in the 4th because they signed Vick.

I'm not saying Barkley will be one, but they are paying fourth round money to take a look at whether he actually is a franchise guy, as he was touted last year.

And the money they don't have to pay him they can gamble with on a veteran in Vick.
          Last edited by slag; 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

We all know what Kelly likes to do

All of a sudden we're going to get a coach that just wants a drop back QB??? And Barkley fits that mold as a backup? Hey listen, I want the Eagles to have a dropback QB that on rare occasions takes off (Tom Brady). I hope it works out that way. Just stand back there and get it to these TE's, WR's, and RB's. I absolutely HATE that Michael Vick sandlot sh*t. I never liked Randall Cunningham because of that. It's absolutely dumb to expose your most important player (QB) to injury by having him run around and get killed. That sh*t works in college, but it doesn't work in the NFL. When these assassins see a QB cross the LOS they are SALIVATING to put the guy in the hospital. At least I go on record with what I think, unlike all of you other p*ssies.

Comment

The guy does throw some sweet screens

SC would screen the P*SS out of people and he was cranking that sh*t UP. We'll see. I like the kid. I hope they play to his strengths. Maybe Chip's connection to Bellichek is in play here.

Comment

if he's half the QB that he is a human being he'll be great.

at the top of the 4th round i agree with Roseman (God that hurt to type) that he was a no brainer there. Nassib I am shocked fell like he did as well. Time will tell I guess.

Comment

I couldn't believe Barkley was on my big board

after day 2.

I actually have one on the wall behind my couch that you see on TV. My wife and kids left me when it was shipped here and I starting hanging it.

Comment

Hahahahaha!

Yes!

Comment

Maybe we're the ones who are wrong

We've all been assuming that Kelly will need a mobile QB to run his offense. It looks now like that's not the case.
                      The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Only idiots in the media have been saying that Chip Kelly's offense requires a running quarterback.

The coach has emphatically said that he has run his offense without running QB's before and it is not a requirement. People have to adjust to the wonderful fact that this coach is not Andy Reid. Kelly says what he means and means what he says.

Comment

From day 1 when he was hired, he said he would fit his offense around his players' talents not the other way around. "I want a QB that can run occasionally, not a RB who can throw." All the speculation about his run option came from the fans and from the media--mostly the media. I think we're doing the guy a disservice by not believing he can adjust his offense to the NFL depending on his teams skills.

Comment

darron thomas who ran the offense for two years...had 500 yards rushing and then 250 yards. so it's not like the qb's were running all over the place. their running backs were running all over the place.
                            “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

Dude: This guy is IMMOBILE!

He's a dropback passer. Is this thing on?

Comment

Working...
                              X