Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennie Logan

Lawlor on Logan

I was caught off-guard by the Eagles' third-round pick. I didn't anticipate defensive tackle Bennie Logan being a target. I liked the player, but due to his size I hadn't thought of him as someone who Kelly would go after. Logan had impressed me when doing tape study, but seemed much more like a 4-3 player. After the selection, I went back and re-watched most of his 2012 games. That was an eye-opening experience.

At 6-2, 309 pounds, Logan was used very creatively by the LSU coaching staff. You really did need to study a minimum of five games to appreciate him. Put on the Clemson or Texas A&M games. Both teams run the spread. Both have mobile quarterbacks who are also talented pocket passers. Attacking upfield can create as many problems for the defense as it does for the offense. Watch Logan in those games. He generally came off the ball passively. He would shove the blocker in front of him and then back off. Logan would then mirror the quarterback and chase him if the guy tried to run outside. Sure enough, Logan got a sack of Johnny Manziel by chasing him out of bounds while doing this. He had a couple of plays like this agains Clemson, where he read a play and got in on the tackle.

Watch the Florida game and you see some stout play from Logan. Put on the Bama game and he more than held his own against Chance Warmack. That was impressive. There were at least two snaps in the Bama game when Logan lined up at defensive end. I thought Auburn and Washington were his best games. He was regularly disruptive vs. Auburn. Against Washington, I thought Logan had a few “wow” moments. He fired upfield on one pass play and either timed the snap perfectly or showed some explosion I hadn’t seen before. That was really impressive. Since the LSU coaches didn’t fear the Washington and Auburn quarterbacks getting loose, they let the defensive line attack up the field. Logan showed he could do that.

Logan is a hybrid defender. He can play nose tackle in the 4-3 or 3-4. He lacks the ideal build for the 3-4, but Kelly mentioned that Logan may get up in the 320-pound range. Logan can play the 3-technique defensive tackle. He could even slide to the 5-technique defensive end spot if needed. Logan has 34-inch arms (long) and big hands. That gives him the potential to move around and be able to keep blockers from getting into his body when the Eagles are playing a 2-gap system. Kelly mentioned the Eagles had a second-round grade on Logan so this is a player they really liked. I felt the same way after studying more of his game tape.
    I guess this is why they had him graded this highly. DT with great character who's excelled at containing mobile QB's.
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

He wore the number 18 his senior year, so I only watched video of him in 2011. Interested to see if Logan and Wolff will pan out.

Comment

Working...
    X