Looking at Matt Barkley's stats last year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Matt Barkley's stats last year

I'll preface this by saying there aren't any great truths hidden in the numbers, as far as I can tell. Maybe check out the play-by-play later. But he had NINE of his 15 interceptions in his last four games of the season. The Trojans were 1-3 during that stretch.

He had 2 first-half INTs vs. Arizona in a 39-36 loss. Arizona came back late to win it. So, his early picks kept the game close, but they still had a lead they couldn't hold.

He had 2 interceptions in a 62-51 loss to Oregon (against 5 TDs in 54 attempts), a game in which Oregon moved the ball basically at will (Mariota threw for 300 yards, Barner RAN for 320).

He had 3 TDs and 3 picks in a 38-17 win over Arizona State. Game was close for the first half, in which he threw 2 picks (one a pick six). His first attempt of the 2nd half was picked but on what the game recap calls a "spectacular" play on a tipped ball. The Trojans scored 24 unanswered points to win, he had one TD pass during that stretch.

He had 3 TDs and 2 picks in the 38-28 loss to UCLA, the game in which he got hurt. He got picked off on the game's first play after throwing into double coverage. Not sure when the second pick happened, but UCLA jumped out to a 24-0 lead, so the Trojans were playing from behind pretty quick (that is, if his 2nd pick came early it would've helped UCLA build the big lead, if it's later it's possible it could be excused as the result of a dude trying to make up a deficit).

His worst game of the year was earlier, the Stanford loss. Zero TDs, 2 first-half picks that happened in a crazy sequence where the ball kept changing hands on turnovers; so it looks like neither led to points. Stanford held USC to 26 yards rushing in that game.

So, really, the stats don't tell us a ton. It's hard to say his failures caused USC's problems, though. It's also interesting to note that, despite sitting out 2 games with an injury, he threw for only 300 fewer yards and 3 fewer TDs than the previous year. Clearly, two more games (very winnable ones against Notre Dame and Georgia Tech) would've had him approaching 4,000 yards and 40 TDs. USC would've had a chance to knock off the then-No. 1 Fighting Irish with him playing (USC lost 22-13).

The thing he's got going for him is that, as USC QBs go, he's probably more like Carson Palmer than Mark Sanchez. He didn't go into every game with way more talent than the other team that helped inflate his performance (Marqise Lee is an animal, though).

Like I said, not helpful but maybe interesting.

-AE

First time in a while that I've anticipated pre-season

Originally posted by AnnapolisEagle View Post
    I'll preface this by saying there aren't any great truths hidden in the numbers, as far as I can tell. Maybe check out the play-by-play later. But he had NINE of his 15 interceptions in his last four games of the season. The Trojans were 1-3 during that stretch.

He had 2 first-half INTs vs. Arizona in a 39-36 loss. Arizona came back late to win it. So, his early picks kept the game close, but they still had a lead they couldn't hold.

He had 2 interceptions in a 62-51 loss to Oregon (against 5 TDs in 54 attempts), a game in which Oregon moved the ball basically at will (Mariota threw for 300 yards, Barner RAN for 320).

He had 3 TDs and 3 picks in a 38-17 win over Arizona State. Game was close for the first half, in which he threw 2 picks (one a pick six). His first attempt of the 2nd half was picked but on what the game recap calls a "spectacular" play on a tipped ball. The Trojans scored 24 unanswered points to win, he had one TD pass during that stretch.

He had 3 TDs and 2 picks in the 38-28 loss to UCLA, the game in which he got hurt. He got picked off on the game's first play after throwing into double coverage. Not sure when the second pick happened, but UCLA jumped out to a 24-0 lead, so the Trojans were playing from behind pretty quick (that is, if his 2nd pick came early it would've helped UCLA build the big lead, if it's later it's possible it could be excused as the result of a dude trying to make up a deficit).

His worst game of the year was earlier, the Stanford loss. Zero TDs, 2 first-half picks that happened in a crazy sequence where the ball kept changing hands on turnovers; so it looks like neither led to points. Stanford held USC to 26 yards rushing in that game.

So, really, the stats don't tell us a ton. It's hard to say his failures caused USC's problems, though. It's also interesting to note that, despite sitting out 2 games with an injury, he threw for only 300 fewer yards and 3 fewer TDs than the previous year. Clearly, two more games (very winnable ones against Notre Dame and Georgia Tech) would've had him approaching 4,000 yards and 40 TDs. USC would've had a chance to knock off the then-No. 1 Fighting Irish with him playing (USC lost 22-13).

The thing he's got going for him is that, as USC QBs go, he's probably more like Carson Palmer than Mark Sanchez. He didn't go into every game with way more talent than the other team that helped inflate his performance (Marqise Lee is an animal, though).

-AE
    I want to see what he can do. Same goes for Johnson and Ertz.
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by AnnapolisEagle View Post

-AE
      Interesting breakdown, thanks. I think they would have had a really good shot against the Irish.

Comment

i definitely fear that he's like the recent crop of USC QBs, all of which suck besides palmer, who hasn't lived up to his potential but at least is NFL-capable. but, as others have said on here, i'll trust that chip kelly knows his west coast players.

Comment

His OL was a complete train wreck last year as well. He battled last year game after game.

Getting in the 4th round was a tremendous value. Accuracy and pocket presence are the top 2 in the QB pecking order for me.

Comment

Matt Barkley =

A little bigger Koy Detmer -- = heady guy with a average arm and average accuracy who will become a very good career backup = still good value in the 4th round

Comment

If doesn't end up as a quality starter, then he's a horrible value pick.

Lot's of D. players were available with a legitimate chance to start on this team.

People blow this pick off as a 4th rounder, but think of it like the last pick in the 3rd round...

Comment

I've been here for his entire career. Same with Sanchez. Same with Leinart. Same with Palmer. Followed all of them.

Barkley is an anomaly in that his stats are off the charts but he loses more big games than he wins. Often throwing an interception at the worst possible moment in the biggest games. McNabbesque in that regard. You guys would go nuts. He seems to choke.

Sorry for him that he missed his last chance at a bowl game due to injury. He never had the opportunity to redeem himself.
                Last edited by The Ref; 05-03-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                  If doesn't end up as a quality starter, then he's a horrible value pick.

Lot's of D. players were available with a legitimate chance to start on this team.

People blow this pick off as a 4th rounder, but think of it like the last pick in the 3rd round...
                  Second thought you make good points.

Comment

Working...
                  X