Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, hoop heads.

How the f*ck do you fix the Sixers?

Trade Turner for whatever you can? Beg Dwight Howard to come to town? Burn the building down for insurance money?

I think Turner just isn't effective without the ball in his hands and I don't know how he and Jrue can co-exist unless you're going to be a running team.

I guess they need a coach first, though.

-AE

It depends on what happens with Bynum, so maybe they give this current roster another year. After that, they have to completely rebuild, and they could go about that it two ways -

The Brooklyn/NY approach, which is get rid of everyone, clear all major and moderate contracts, and hope to sign/trade for a legit star or two.
    Or
    The Thunder approach, which is simply suck for several years and draft well until you have a solid nucleus of stars and supporting cast. Unfortunately, judging from the past few seasons, the Sixers are inept and incapable of drafting well and making good decisions.

Turner has flashes but in general blows; Jrue could really be something with a decent team around him. Unfortunately, he'll never see that with the Sixers...

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
      It depends on what happens with Bynum, so maybe they give this current roster another year. After that, they have to completely rebuild, and they could go about that it two ways -

The Brooklyn/NY approach, which is get rid of everyone, clear all major and moderate contracts, and hope to sign/trade for a legit star or two.
      Or
      The Thunder approach, which is simply suck for several years and draft well until you have a solid nucleus of stars and supporting cast. Unfortunately, judging from the past few seasons, the Sixers are inept and incapable of drafting well and making good decisions.

Turner has flashes but in general blows; Jrue could really be something with a decent team around him. Unfortunately, he'll never see that with the Sixers...
      I feel like the suck-and-rebuild model only works if you're truly terrible for like 3 years or get really lucky in the lottery. There aren't that many real stars to be had and you've got to hope they're at a position of need for you or are so transcendent you're willing to bench the dude you drafted 2 years ago and already kinda like.

Comment

they need to start with a real general manager

hiring a coach first is doing it ass backwards
        Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
        May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
          hiring a coach first is doing it ass backwards
          exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnapolisEagle View Post
            I feel like the suck-and-rebuild model only works if you're truly terrible for like 3 years or get really lucky in the lottery. There aren't that many real stars to be had and you've got to hope they're at a position of need for you or are so transcendent you're willing to bench the dude you drafted 2 years ago and already kinda like.
            There is always talent to be had, it's always just based on how good the team is at evaluating talent. With a few top picks, the Thunder were able to draft Durant, Westbrook, and Harden (now a star in Houston), along with most of the supporting cast on the team. A few lottery picks can go a long way, otherwise the Sixers will be stuck in perennial mediocrity. Making the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed means nothing if you don't stand a chance of even winning a single game in the series. Rebuilding takes 2-4 years, and if it's not working after that, the only thing left is to rebuild again. Hopefully Jrue's career won't be wasted here, everyone else is pretty much trash. The Sixers are a team of supporting players, that's the problem. Dre did really well in Denver this past year and Thad Young could probably make an impact somewhere else. They just need that one star to build the team around and until they have that, along with a solid GM/coach tandem, they're going nowhere.
            Last edited by ishimonster; 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnapolisEagle View Post
              How the f*ck do you fix the Sixers?

Trade Turner for whatever you can? Beg Dwight Howard to come to town? Burn the building down for insurance money?

I think Turner just isn't effective without the ball in his hands and I don't know how he and Jrue can co-exist unless you're going to be a running team.

I guess they need a coach first, though.

-AE
              This is supposed to be one of the worst nba drafts in years. Nothing is being fixed via the draft this season.

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
                There is always talent to be had, it's always just based on how good the team is at evaluating talent. With a few top picks, the Thunder were able to draft Durant, Westbrook, and Harden (now a star in Houston), along with most of the supporting cast on the team. A few lottery picks can go a long way, otherwise the Sixers will be stuck in perennial mediocrity. Making the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed means nothing if you don't stand a chance of even winning a single game in the series. Rebuilding takes 2-4 years, and if it's not working after that, the only thing left is to rebuild again. Hopefully Jrue's career won't be wasted here, everyone else is pretty much trash. The Sixers are a team of supporting players, that's the problem. Dre did really well in Denver this past year and Thad Young could probably make an impact somewhere else. They just need that one star to build the team around and until they have that, along with a solid GM/coach tandem, they're going nowhere.
                Yeah, talent evaluation is obviously the key. There is always talent to be had as long as you're in the lottery, I guess. But it sort of seems like a crapshoot. I wonder what percentage of top-5 picks end up all-stars -- it's almost like you've got a minuscule chance to hit that one guy a year (if there happens to be one in that draft).

The Thunder got Durant because Portland passed on him. Darko went second, too. In the NBA it just seems remarkably easy to be mired in mediocrity even with good draft position.

-AE

Comment

Agreed. Some teams seem to hit more than they miss though (and vise-versa). One thing I hate is drafting "projects" and "potential" early. It never seems to work out... Then this past year, (I'm pretty sure) they traded a lottery-protected pick to the heat for Arnett Moultrie who I like but really isn't that good, certainly not worth what they gave up to get him. Just seems like they're putting themselves into a deeper and deeper hole. If Bynum has an ounce of respect left he would stay on an incentive-based contract and not jump ship after not playing an entire year and collecting one of the fattest paychecks in the NBA...

Comment

You don't need a GM

You break the bank for a superstar and then tell him to recruit 2 of his best friends.

This FO is hopeless.

Comment

Pay Jerry West whatever he wants.

Bring his azz to Philly. Or - whomever is considered the top guy in waiting for a GM position, they need to hire him before they hire a head coach. Do this the correct way and let them determine the best way to rebuild.
                      John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Working...
                      X